IT guys, how'd you find your job?

Tractor

I moved to Charlotte, NC last summer and have been here a year doing most of the same stuff I did in Ohio for the past 12yrs, IT Field Service. Before that I did a lot of different areas of IT, programming, sys admin, service dept manager, etc.

So I've been tired of it for years and looking to change and go back to more of the in house IT type of work. What I really want is a Systems Administrator gig at a company with say 30-100 end users or something like a school district or other local gov agency.

My experience and resume are great however finding the type of job I'm looking for has not be easy. I have probably 8-10 recruiters in the area who love me, love my credentials and could get me a job at any IT Dept doing anything from helpdesk to much higher level support roles in the large corps ie Bank of America, but I've been there in the past in Columbus working with Nationwide, Ashland, etc. Currently I support companies from 1, to 300 employees on a daily basis.

Any of you working as the "IT Guy" in the size company I'm looking for? How'd you find the job.

I actually see more of what I'm looking for on craigslist than I do the recruiting sites.

Thanks,

Yeah, I hear ya. I had a great opportunity in a school district around Columbus right as I was planning to move south, the current guy was retiring and I worked with him almost weekly so I was the top pick. But I think moving was the better decision, there's so many jobs here, but thousands of IT jobs, thousands of applications so blah.

Seems like just about any job worth having means you have to know someone to get it. Nationwide has tons of IT jerbs, don't recall seeing them in that area though.

When I worked as the IT guy at small businesses (40-65 users) I found both on craigslist :lolguy:

My old boss is Director of Sales - at Parascript a good document mgt. company. Todd G. LeVeque on Linked in. Connect with me if you've not already. He's a good guy and looking for a Sales engineer for the software team. Your background would likely fit well there if you worked with the software systems at MT. Tell him Tim Lauro sent you.

There will be travel of course but the gigs usually pay pretty well.

Word of mouth, a friend of a friend was the head of HR at my company and they were looking for (at the time) an intern. One thing led to another, and I've been here 6 years total. Other jobs I've had have been working as a contractor, which I hated, but it was work.

I've done IT for 20 years. I've been without a job now for three months, have put out hundreds of resumes, had many 1st interviews, and have spoken with several recruiters. I think my salary requirements are more than what most companies want to pay. Good luck in your search.

I've done IT for 20 years. I've been without a job now for three months, have put out hundreds of resumes, had many 1st interviews, and have spoken with several recruiters. I think my salary requirements are more than what most companies want to pay. Good luck in your search.

I support technologies at LBrands- send me your resume and I'd be happy to give you feedback on salary/experience and if we maybe even have something for you.

Bclarizio@lb.com

19+ year IT professional here. I replied to an ad on CraigsList which landed me a contract gig at Abbott. About a year after that I was offered a full time job and now I've been here for 8 years. I get called / e-mailed pretty much weekly from head hunters. Get yourself a really good, endorsed LinkedIn profile and talk to some recruiters about what your ideal job is. It might take some time to get exactly what you want, but I'm betting you'll find what you want... :)

Thanks guys, I have a family trip to Disney in a few weeks then I'm getting much more active in changing jobs. In field service I drive way to much, but since I moved to a new area I decided to stay with it just a little while to get to know the region and also I end up in lots of IT Depts throughout my daily routine. Wish I were better at networking with people and not sucking at interviews.

I was recruited. Get a "good" LinkedIn profile setup. I get calls all the time for IT gigs around the area.

Same here about a year ago (But a much larger place)..

Some of the local vendor gigs are also a good option

MDUG - Mid Ohio Data Center Users Group

VMUG - VMware Users Group

etc.

Not to long ago I thought I heard OCLC was looking for a SA (Unsure now).

Also Alliance (But again bigger place)

GL

Same here about a year ago (But a much larger place)..

Some of the local vendor gigs are also a good option

MDUG - Mid Ohio Data Center Users Group

VMUG - VMware Users Group

etc.

Not to long ago I thought I heard OCLC was looking for a SA (Unsure now).

Also Alliance (But again bigger place)

GL

Ohio VMUG usually has two events a year. The one in Columbus was May I think. Cinci one should be in the fall. I'm at these also. Good amount of people show up to these.

What type of IT?

GAP is looking for certain type of developers right now (Ruby, Cucumber, ect)

Nathan has been less than impressed with the candidates he has interviewed.

Anyone who is interested in that send me your resume Trish@thehaltermans.com and ill forward it to nathan.

got something coming your way... gonna be publically posted on 8/2, text me your email and I'll send you the internal posting info.

as far as how I've gotten my jobs, always been recruiters and LinkedIn... I get a TON of hits because of LinkedIn. Keep it updated, keep it professional, get your co-workers to recommend you and write glowing reviews for you.