Riding mower Questions

SRTurbo04

Ok so i dont need one of those fancy zero turn mowers that every one seems to ask about.

I am looking for a good riding mower (40+inch). Possibly a bagger attachment, blade must be usable while backing up as well. Its amazing how many different makes and models there are out there.

Any one have any good experience with a certain model? Looking to buy in a next month.

1500$ or less.

:lol: i wish.

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/80/590x/lawnmower2apr14-468215.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to look them all up to be certain which are which but you really only have about 3 choices. Husqvarna, some john deere, and MTD. MTD builds most of the riders out there. I never have been a huge fan of MTD but usually end up owning one. I got 14 years out of my last yard machine which probably isn't terrible since it was an $800 mower brand new. I currently have a Troy Bilt Super Bronco which is also MTD built. Just liked the mower so I bought it. Don't regret it.......so far.

I looked into tractors for a minute. If you think you might want to put a blade on it and plow in the Winter, look at AWD options, and of course there is the option to have attachments. It would be worth while to look into used ones at a place like JD Equipment or Sunbelt. What they have may be over kill and still pricey, even used. Just FYI.

As far as riding mowers go, I think there is only a couple manufacturers for the entry level stuff. Just find the color scheme you like and buy it. If you want to spend more for something quality then you can justify making a thread like this.

Used jd. Be patient and wait for the right one.

This.

It depends on how long you want to have it Paul and also how "hard" you wll be using it. With some of the cheaper riding mowers you pay less initially but then your always paying for them to get fixed or fixing them yourself. I have always been partial to John Deere but they are so freaking expensive. Kubota makes nice stuff to but also expensive. Craftsman has gotten better and could be a good alternative.

Any mods planned? Turbo? NOS? :bangbang:

I have my in-laws old Murray (date is like 1990 or some shit). Yes I have a small yard, no I don't care what other people think. It's a 12 hp 40" cut. Gator blades. Does a good job and it takes me about 1/2 hour to mow the lawn :). I paid about $200 for it years ago. You could probably find some junker that works on CL for cheap.

I've been merciless on my Craftsman LT2000 (I think) for about 6 years now and it's never missed a beat. However, .5-.75 acre? Push mow that shit.

You're not going to find what you want for under 1500$. And you need a riding mower to mow a half acre? Lmao.

With my back issues, push mowing for 45 minutes 2-3 times a week kills me.

That's the one ive been leaning twords, its there entry level rig but has what I am needing.

Am I missing something here? Are craftsman mowers junk or something? why are they around 500$ less then most other mowers? I seem to always see craftsman mowers growing up?

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-420cc-42-8221-step-through-frame-riding-mower/p-07120370000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Am I missing something here? Are craftsman mowers junk or something? why are they around 500$ less then most other mowers? I seem to always see craftsman mowers growing up?

I had a 1994 Craftsman II mower that I got from a neighbor (still have it...sitting in my backyard with 4 flats :lol:). I'll tell you my biggest problem with them is that most of the replacement parts are ridic-overpriced Craftsman OEM at Sears or online. In general, I would have to guess that the decline of Sears and decline of Craftsman as a top-quality brand (watered-down with some China stuff) makes it less desirable to today's consumer.

I've got a John Deere Sabre 300 that I'll be listing up here for sale shortly...

http://todaysmower.com/2014-lawn-yard-garden-tractor-manufacturers/

That'll show you who builds what. Craftsman is made by MTD so that's why they're not as popular as they once were. If it comes down to entry level MTD tractors just flip a coin....they will share many of the same parts. If you look at that link you posted vs the deere above it the first couple things that jump out at me are the plastic speed selector on the craftsman, no anti-scalp wheels on deck, and steel front axle vs cast iron on deere. I don't like the CVT on the deere and it has no cruise control which could get old although mowing less than an acre it wouldn't be a big deal probably.

I had a 1994 Craftsman II mower that I got from a neighbor (still have it...sitting in my backyard with 4 flats :lol:). I'll tell you my biggest problem with them is that most of the replacement parts are ridic-overpriced Craftsman OEM at Sears or online. In general, I would have to guess that the decline of Sears and decline of Craftsman as a top-quality brand (watered-down with some China stuff) makes it less desirable to today's consumer.

I've got a John Deere Sabre 300 that I'll be listing up here for sale shortly...

got some more info and pics?

I have a 17hp 46inch MTD riding mower that's lasted over 15yrs. no rust, has a nice bagger on it. It's all how you take care of them.

ive ben getting mixed reviews on mtd, people either love them or hate them it seems.

Back when I had 1.5ish acres to mow I bought a $300 old john deere on CL. 46" cut, that weird flat-2 engine. Had to charge the battery every month or two, and eventually it needed a $25 fuel pump and belt, but that's it for 3+ years of mowing.

Dad bought a shitty brand new JD from home depot and had nonstop problems with it. Head gasket, fuel pump, spindles all the time, and hydrostatic started making bad noises early, like 300? hours. LOL junk

got some more info and pics?

ive ben getting mixed reviews on mtd, people either love them or hate them it seems.

also bought mine for $250 used...:)

New john deeres are for the most part, JUNK. Everybody I know who's bought just residential ones have some sort of problem. Now older ones (2000's n older) are the ones to get.

Cub cadet's are a hit/miss. I've owned a few 2000's n older that's never had a problem

If I had $!k or less to spend on a house yard riding mower today, I'd look for a 2000's or older John Deere.

That's the one ive been leaning twords, its there entry level rig but has what I am needing.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-420cc-42-8221-step-through-frame-riding-mower/p-07120370000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Some of the earlier craftsman mowers were junk but that was 15yrs ago. I heard they got better but I don't have experience with them so I cant give you a first hand account