What should I look at that's manual, RWD and a convertible

Trouble Maker

Looking for a fun sporty weekend & nice day cruiser. Doesn't need to be an ultimate performance machine, in fact I'd prefer it not to be; I'd like to be able to comfortable take this on weekend trips and not hate the drive.

Price point:$15-20k. I can stretch it by waiting and saving up some more dollars. Some of these cars are obviously a hair above this price point.

Search criteria is RWD (maybe a highly rear biased RWD based AWD car is OK e.g. Carrera 4), Manual, Convertible. I like smaller cars so a 2 seater or 2+2 is what I would prefer, 4 seater is fine, but it can't be a BMW 6 series sized car. Hard tops aren't convertibles, must be a soft top.

What should I look into to whittle down a list of cars to go drive?

Cars that have popped onto my radar.

Miata: Previously at a lower price point, it was a high contender, but maybe a bit too small and too slow in a straight line for what I'm looking for. I HATE the styling on the NCs too. It's too bad NDs aren't a few years older right now; maybe still a bit slow but damn do they look good.

S2000: Was at the top of my list... feels like the safe bet, but I'm leaning towards something that's not so safe. I like that they are reliable and keep their value; but they keep their value so maybe overpriced? I do love driving these cars at the limit. Sub limit, meh. I think I want more of a sporty cruiser and less of an auto-x demon.

BMWs; E46 M3, 135, Z4. Any thoughts?

Porsche 911 996: IMS bearing, LOL? Really leaning towards this.

Porsche Boxser: Might as well get an S2000 and not deal with the cost of owning a Porsche?

Maserati Spyder GT: WTF am I thinking! I think I can feel money leaving my pockets just looking at them. That Ferrari V8 tho.

Most of the domestics don't tickle my loins in this price range; previous gen Mustang, Camaro or C5 Vette. Solstice/Sky, maybe they were a bargain new, but now they just seem like a smaller, lower-powered Corvette, but with a similar weight to the Corvette.

Anything I'm missing or thoughts about any of these cars?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

335i. It's a convertible but has the look of a coupe with the retractable hard top. It would check off everything you need with ease.

Yeah, checks every box, I mean, except for this part.

Search criteria; Hard tops aren't convertibles, must be a soft top.

Just a styling preference, the car must be a soft top.

The E93 is also too big for what I want in a vehicle.

Audi A5 or S5 maybe?

I've done the Audi thing; though an older on than those. I had a B5 S4 for 5.5 years as my daily.

I have quite a bit of seat time in a recent S4 w/the sport diff. It feels like the car has too much weight on the front, so they put more TQ to the rear and tune the sus for oversteer, so the car over steers basically everywhere but especially on power, so they control that with TCS/AYC. Their chassis tuning just feels like they don't have a very cohesive concept. Don't get me wrong, it's probably one of the if not the best car in that segment. But if that is an indicator of what their lineup feels like, no thanks.

For some reason I could see you in a car like this, wearing a pilot cap with a scarf blowing in the wind.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=428012081

Really for comfort and all-aroundedness I would say an 05-10 Mustang GT, but I don't think that's really a "you" kind of car. They are comfortable on long drives though, and easy to maintain. Slap on an axle-back, drop the top, and enjoy them sounds.

Like you said, S2Ks are completely meh unless you're driving at the limit. I've driven a couple and they bounced me all over the place on Ohio's amazing roads. Would not buy.

Have you thought about Z3s or Z4s? M3s? I know nothing about them, but they're options. Same with 350Zs.

996 Porsches are the bargain of the century right now. Nobody wants the convertibles too so you can get them cheap. IMS bearing fix is like $2k for a competent shop to do if the Internet is to be believed. I have heard from many that 99 is the year to have because lots of stuff is still analog (throttle, etc...) and its lighter than later cars. Why get a boxster, when you can get a 911? If you can't find a clean RWD vert 996 for $15k you aren't trying.

Merc slk? Kind of a chick car but they are stick, vert, and RWD.

Nobody mentioned corvette? If you get the right options they are pretty great, and in your price range there isn't much depreciation left if well cared for. Cheap to own.

Also, I'm going to be that asshole and suggest Ferrari mondial. Have seen some clean ones in $20-25k price range recently. Yes you need to be able to do an engine out service in your garage if you are going to own one and yes they are the Ferrari everybody loves to shit on because the internet sucks. But fuck it, small price to pay to own the only RWD, rear engined, 4 place production convertible with a motherfucking gated shifter.

996 Porsches are the bargain of the century right now. Nobody wants the convertibles too so you can get them cheap. IMS bearing fix is like $2k for a competent shop to do if the Internet is to be believed. I have heard from many that 99 is the year to have because lots of stuff is still analog (throttle, etc...) and its lighter than later cars. Why get a boxster, when you can get a 911? If you can't find a clean RWD vert 996 for $15k you aren't trying

Bingo. I think the 996 cars have bottomed out on price.

03-04 Cobra. Comfortable, pretty good handling, intoxicating sounds and holds value extremely well.

I miss our neighbors who had one with a kick ass exhaust. I'd hear that thing start up and pull away slowly in the morning and I swear it would give me wood.

Jesse, I love my BMW but the car I'd get hands-down to replace it is a 996 convertible. Getting a really good one sub-$20k may be tough until the fall when people are selling their fun cars instead of storing.

http://www.mercedesexpert.com/inventory/view/7615927/1999-Porsche-911-Carrera-Cabriolet-6-Spd-Manual-Naples-FL

If you want to spend $10k-$14k, an e46m3 vert. Seen then for as low as $9k running and driving but high miles, to $16k with 30k miles in like new condition

If you want to spend $15k-$20k, 996 of your flavor

LOL at verts being SO worthless compared to their coupe counterparts

Jesse, I love my BMW but the car I'd get hands-down to replace it is a 996 convertible. Getting a really good one sub-$20k may be tough until the fall when people are selling their fun cars instead of storing.

http://www.mercedesexpert.com/inventory/view/7615927/1999-Porsche-911-Carrera-Cabriolet-6-Spd-Manual-Naples-FL

Is a non turbo car a 996? May be a dumb question....but I always associate with turbos and odd exhaust notes.

Is a non turbo car a 996? May be a dumb question....but I always associate with turbos and odd exhaust notes.

996 is the generation of car, generally people refer to the twin turbos of that generation as 996tt to differentiate from the base cars

What cars have you previously owned?

Most likely you will be let down by a 996 in your price range. Not worth all the potential issues, and massive price costs for parts for the lack of performance.

LT5 C4 vette

That's the c4 ZR1, going to be hard to get a convertible since they only made 1 and it fell into a sink hole.

Still, as someone who grew up with a c4 zr1 targa, the car is fucking fantastic.