Grand Prix GXP - what to look out for

zeitgeist57

So, my '04 Cavalier in FL runs really well, A/C blasts cold air, but the friggin brake lines/fuel lines are all rotten and the cost to have a shop do it is more than the car is worth. :lol: I bought it cheap so I may just unload it...

I was helping a friend of my wife's move a W/D last week, and I saw their '05 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP in the driveway, tires nearly flat, brake rotors rusty. I pointed and obviously asked whatsupwitdat?

Long story short, with one-owner and 91k miles on the odo, it hasn't ran in a few years but the guy had a rebuilt tranny and cracked radiator replaced before his job forced him to buy a pickup and travel a lot more. He just hasn't driven the car in years. However, he'd be interested in selling it pretty cheaply, because he's not going to work on it. Aside from the lot rot, the car was very solid.

Are these things worth the effort to revive?

Might be worth it to fix and flip. I would not want to own one without a transmission warranty. They all develop slip issues over time. There's a reason it was already replaced with only 90k miles. Aside from that, pretty solid cars usually loaded up with nice options.

So, my '04 Cavalier in FL runs really well, A/C blasts cold air, but the friggin brake lines/fuel lines are all rotten and the cost to have a shop do it is more than the car is worth. :lol: I bought it cheap so I may just unload it...

I was helping a friend of my wife's move a W/D last week, and I saw their '05 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP in the driveway, tires nearly flat, brake rotors rusty. I pointed and obviously asked whatsupwitdat?

Long story short, with one-owner and 91k miles on the odo, it hasn't ran in a few years but the guy had a rebuilt tranny and cracked radiator replaced before his job forced him to buy a pickup and travel a lot more. He just hasn't driven the car in years. However, he'd be interested in selling it pretty cheaply, because he's not going to work on it. Aside from the lot rot, the car was very solid.

Run. I had 3 GTP's all modded and then a GXP. I sold the GXP after about 2yrs with 16k miles on it and it was horrible.

Save

GXP's (the V8) eat transmissions, have different size front and rear tires (and fronts are expensive to get, they're a custom size developed just for the GXP) but you can replace the wheels with aftermarket to make them the same size. Motor is solid. Put a transmission cooler on - it will help - as will a mild shift kit.

GTP's (supercharged V6) will need new lower intake manifold gaskets if they haven't been changed to the 06+ metal gaskets, valve cover gaskets if they're leaking (obvious, the sides of engine will be covered in oil), and metal coolant elbows.

Either model, assuming it's all stock, will need all main suspension and steering components replaced now or soon (end links, tie rods, struts, etc.), the intermediate steering shaft is the clunk you'll feel when you drive it -- it's normal and not dangerous, just annoying and there's a non-clunky Dorman replacement, the radiator cap replaced, lower motor mount and transmission mount replaced, front wheel bearings soon, the sunroof will probably stick a little in the winter (replace the grease), the interior plastic turns to shit but you can prolly already see that, the HUD will "fall in" when the support spring eats through the plastic tab that holds it up but it's just cosmetic, the seat heaters get weak as they age, the water on the passenger floorboard when it rains is because it doesn't have the 06+ water shield under the cowl which fits over the cabin air filter ($10 on Amazon).

That's most of the annoying things. My 04 GTP has 166k and I just did an alternator, battery, water pump, and AC condenser, in addition to all of the things above which is pretty good for major wear components. They're good cars, just be proactive about maintenance. I also rebuilt my transmission because I felt like it before I started all this back and forth to DC I do now. I beat the fuck out of this thing twice a week on my trips back and forth, it's still a fun turd.

It is the GXP (5.3L V8). I am definitely the one trying to get him to sell.

We talked about a $1500 price, but after texts last night the guy is balking...he's thinking that he'd want to keep it and get around to fixing it up when his last kid goes to college in a few years. I told him if he doesn't want to sell I'd be happy to help him work on it (new brakes, tuneup, etc...)

There was another guy I hauled some scrap away for a couple months ago in UA that had a 1986 M-B 230E (European model) that sat on his driveway since '08. His wife said he'd never sell it. They called me back the next day after I asked about it and he said he's ready to get rid of it. I opened the trunk and there was standing water in the spare tire well. I almost gagged and politely told him "not if it was free". :lol:

There was another guy I hauled some scrap away for a couple months ago in UA that had a 1986 M-B 230E (European model) that sat on his driveway since '08. His wife said he'd never sell it. They called me back the next day after I asked about it and he said he's ready to get rid of it. I opened the trunk and there was standing water in the spare tire well. I almost gagged and politely told him "not if it was free". :lol:

I'll take it if it is free :grin2:

Standing water is ok....It's when the water is no longer standing and flowing through to the ground that there is an issue.

Trading tubing and hose issues you can band aid fix yourself for a car that is "not if but when" the transmission is going to fail doesn't seem like a reasonable idea. Run away from the GXP.

Agreed. It's a no-go on the GXP. Thank you, CR. [emoji106]

As my wife reminded, I have half a lowrider and several other car jobs to finish. No need for another needy auto project to feed.

Chop the Lincoln into a convertible (no idea if this is possible, lol) and use it for Florida cruising!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Chop the Lincoln into a convertible (no idea if this is possible, lol) and use it for Florida cruising!

Its possible:

http://www.classiccarstodayonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/1978-Lincoln-Mark-V-convertible.jpg

Hess and Eisenhardt here in Ohio produced them on special order, They also did the first jaguar XJS convertibles (and JFK's limo in Dallas). Emiss coachbuilders in Florida did them too on request from Ford for the 6 top selling lincoln dealers.