Photoshop help/C5 paint question.

Tindall2006

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I like to see on C5 vettes is the roof bar painted black:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t60/jj2186/IMG_1957.jpg

two tone body vettes just bring back bad memories of the C3 vettes.

Something else to consider - Black is a bitch to keep nice. If you are painting it to hide blemishes then guess what, unless it is a full pro repaint the blem is going to show through the top color. If you want to hide some blems, just vinyl wrap it a lighter color, that way if you don't like it or it starts to look dated you can just take it off.

I am actually in Texas now, and am probably going to be fixing the front bumper as it is ripped, along with the drivers side fender. I will probably respray them myself. I do have limited paint experience, but think I can make it look WAY better then it does now. It's a C5 with 190K miles so imo if it looks good from 5 feet away I will be happy.

Always wanted to do some paint and body work and I think this is a good second project. My last one was painting my motorcycle.

Well.... Went out and looked at it this morning... Not sure if I will be able to make the lines line up, and the radiator support bracket is bent...

The simple bumper tear and respray may be a bigger project then I think, and something I don't think I can pull off in my apartmentcomplex/garage. Going to think about it for a few hours though.

No offense, but with "limited experience" with paint, I wouldn't try to do that color yourself. With 190k, skip the paint correction and just pull the moldings off, lower it and drive the bitch.

Because it is metallic? What is the worse that could happen? How else do you learn something new?

Red is one of the hardest colors to match, let alone tri-coat. You could deal with matching paint that has some blemishes, or you could deal with a multicolored Corvette. Even if you blend into the adjacent panels, if the shade isn't extremely close and/or the metallic doesn't lay down correctly, it could end up looking much worse.

Practice makes perfect, I'm just suggesting this particular job wouldn't be an ideal learning experience.

Because it is metallic? What is the worse that could happen? How else do you learn something new?

Tri-coat is a very fancy modern way of saying "candy" paint. It's a metallic base coat, a candy (transparent) color coat, and a clear top. Metallics can "tiger stripe" on their own (when the flakes clump in one area and thin in another making a "streak" metal). Candy mid coat layers can lighten and darken based on their thickness. Spray too much in one area and the color gets darker, to little and it is lighter.

I mean you can try it if you want to, it will be a learning experience. If i were you I would go buy a sign blank and practice before pointing the gun at the car, this way you can get a feel for how it sprays. Also since it is a candy paint it's really temperature/humidity sensitive because unlike a clear it builds color hue, so your paint thickness needs to be adjusted to conditions.

• 2 weeks later...