Electric power washer for car cleaning?

zeitgeist57

Honest question, what's the point of a foam cannon? Just to get it super soapy or?

In theory foam helps break up and move away the dirt and what not better. Opinions will very and we all have them. In my world, been-there-done-that and let's just say I put my foam gun away a long time ago. Fun/cool to use and see in action but the results are meh. I'd rather have all the time involved back.

Here's a pretty good example showing a side by side with simple ONR vs Foam. There are better products out there on both sides but at IMO you're splitting hairs.

Give your car a good decontamination, polish and sealant, a coating is even better, and you'll get by far the best results; no foam needed.

If the vehicle is absolutely filthy, spend $9 and take it through the most basic touchless wash you can find, drive home and wash.

Ordered a Sun Joe 3000 from amazon warehouse today along with their foam cannon. Hoping after I seal my new truck is will help cut down on time spent trying to wash the thing. Im $150 in. Worse case if it sucks I can use the pw for other things.

Looking forward to your feedback. I was looking at the SunJoe units on Amazon.

Personally for a normal DD.. i just go to one of the 5 buck drive "thru" car wash places. It gets under the car etc. Otherwise... I would probably hand wash. But that's just me. I don't drive anything fancy though.

I hear you guys, but I have 5 cars (including a pickup truck that does some hauling) so trying to do a little more with getting dirt off by paying is not ideal. Plus, I could use even a light-duty power washer for around-home stuff.

That's my thinking, anyway. Even in the video Tim posted between the foam vs Optimum no-rinse, he still used a pressure washer to remove dirt!

Even in the video Tim posted between the foam vs Optimum no-rinse, he still used a pressure washer to remove dirt!

No doubt they come in handy. When using / buying an electric read up on the duty cycle and how long of a continuous use they can withstand.

I never really thought about it and used my last one that I bought as a refurb for nearly 10 years but then my nieghbor ended up killing it. Evidently it was only built for 30 minutes sustained use needing a 10 minute cool down period before going on. He used it for like 2hrs straight doing a deck and fence and burned it up. :mad:

I just took the $75 he paid me for it and kept it. I'm waiting to find another good deal on one. Perhaps a closeout at The Anderson's Store.

i have a Ryobi electric pressure washer i use with a foam cannon, its not the most powerful pressure washer, but it does everything i need it to.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g425/hobglide/Mobile%20Uploads/0E58833E-8197-4229-B9A7-5AB3A9F1E18D_zpsn1mdkyfn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Ordered a Sun Joe 3000 from amazon warehouse today along with their foam cannon. Hoping after I seal my new truck is will help cut down on time spent trying to wash the thing. Im $150 in. Worse case if it sucks I can use the pw for other things.

Any feedback from the Sun Joe?

I've been following this and looking forward to the updates. Is there a reason no one is suggesting a gas powered one with different pressure settings? I picked up a 3100psi adjustable washer last year for $199. I've used it far mare that I thought for cleaning around our property. For that price, given what I see for electric ones, why not have something that can do a little more?

Serious question does the foam and or pressure make a difference?

I have an electric one I used to blast mud off the ATV but for car purposes nothing is as good as the ol' microfiber towel.

I was my cars very often so if this foam stuff makes a difference i'd be all about it.

Serious question does the foam and or pressure make a difference?

I have an electric one I used to blast mud off the ATV but for car purposes nothing is as good as the ol' microfiber towel.

I was my cars very often so if this foam stuff makes a difference i'd be all about it.

Opinions will very, I stand by mine above that foam, no. See the video I posted. I've done the same test with the same results. Perhaps I used the wrong product, but the ones I use are solid players.

Pressure wise, yes. No doubt blasting off with a power washer makes things easier and in some cases possible, like cleaning off under the vehicle.

In terms of next steps and safety, no. You will still have to wash and apply pressure with some type of wash media to actually clean the car well enough to dry safely.

Unless it's light direct, perhaps just brake dust on a car that has gone a week without driving in rain, you can spray and power wash off the wheels and get away with no brush. Do that on the paint however, and you'll be drying off a car with a dirty towel. Once you through rain and thus road film into the mix, same deal. You'll need pressure an some type of media to get best results.

That said, they are fun, useful and use less water during a wash cycle. Just not necessary.

I've been following this and looking forward to the updates. Is there a reason no one is suggesting a gas powered one with different pressure settings? I picked up a 3100psi adjustable washer last year for $199. I've used it far mare that I thought for cleaning around our property. For that price, given what I see for electric ones, why not have something that can do a little more?

Biggest reasons for me are that I don't need a pressure washer that much or that often (for big, 3000psi jobs). Good gas pressure washers are more money and a lot more space in the garage. Lastly, the electric pressure washers don't require as much maintenance.

I have family with pressure washers for bigger jobs (like blasting concrete or stucco) but all I need on a regular basis is an electric one.

Clay, you ever go to the Jeffersonville outlet mall? Direct tools has a store there. Much of what they have for power tools is referb, but the deals are pretty nuts and still have a one year warranty. I have had no issue with anything there. I bet you would love the place. I get what you mean for your situation though.

Any feedback from the Sun Joe?

I used it last weekend to wash the truck.

Ill preface this by saying I dont think Ive ever washed a truck before. First truck, first wash scenario here. The truck is 3 years old and appeared to have minimal wax on it. Ill be working on that this spring.

The sun joe and the cannon seemed to do fine once I figured out what I was doing. There are a couple of adjustments on the cannon I messed with until I got it working correctly. I used Chemical Guys Snow foam (2oz) in the cannon and the truck used all of it to cover.

I thought I could get away without a bucket and rinse the mitt off with the pressure washer but that just doesn't work very well. So I ended up filling a bucket to clean the mitt off between panels. I will say it was nice to have the soap on the truck already and just be able to go at it with the mitt.

The frustration comes from the combination of the pressure washer itself, the stiff'ish wand hose, the power cord and the supply hose. I feel as though I was always getting something tangled or stepping over something. The pw hose is decently long but it doesn't self untangle if that makes any sense. I was always having to spin the pw wand around. And with a truck I had to move the pw itself a couple of times to get to the other side of the truck.

Overall, I think some time of saved on the actual washing but setting the thing up and then putting everything back consumed most of that saved time. I will also say the fitting where my supply hoes hooks up continues to leak. Not a big deal but it would be nice to have a leak free fitting. Ill work on that.

Hope this helps a bit.

p.s.

The warehouse deals Sun Joe I bought said "used- very good". It had actually never even been opened. Just the corner of the box was mashed a bit.

• 1 month later...
I used it last weekend to wash the truck.

Ill preface this by saying I dont think Ive ever washed a truck before. First truck, first wash scenario here. The truck is 3 years old and appeared to have minimal wax on it. Ill be working on that this spring.

The sun joe and the cannon seemed to do fine once I figured out what I was doing. There are a couple of adjustments on the cannon I messed with until I got it working correctly. I used Chemical Guys Snow foam (2oz) in the cannon and the truck used all of it to cover.

I thought I could get away without a bucket and rinse the mitt off with the pressure washer but that just doesn't work very well. So I ended up filling a bucket to clean the mitt off between panels. I will say it was nice to have the soap on the truck already and just be able to go at it with the mitt.

The frustration comes from the combination of the pressure washer itself, the stiff'ish wand hose, the power cord and the supply hose. I feel as though I was always getting something tangled or stepping over something. The pw hose is decently long but it doesn't self untangle if that makes any sense. I was always having to spin the pw wand around. And with a truck I had to move the pw itself a couple of times to get to the other side of the truck.

Overall, I think some time of saved on the actual washing but setting the thing up and then putting everything back consumed most of that saved time. I will also say the fitting where my supply hoes hooks up continues to leak. Not a big deal but it would be nice to have a leak free fitting. Ill work on that.

Hope this helps a bit.

p.s.

The warehouse deals Sun Joe I bought said "used- very good". It had actually never even been opened. Just the corner of the box was mashed a bit.

Sorry for the late response, but thank you for the detailed review!

Ryobi's got a cheap PW for sale:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Ryobi-1-600-PSI-1-2-GPM-Electric-Pressure-Washer-RY141600/205566079?cm_mmc=hd_email-_-GC_C2-_-20170330_20170330_GC_FW09_C2_3016793-_-VA_PRESSURE_WASHER&et_rid=77508235

To what you're saying, it does seem like a long hose and a unit that rolls are minimums for a good PW experience. Plus, I don't want to spend $80 on a cheap PW where I'll still have to pay more for a soap/foam cannon.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I got a Harbor Freight flyer in the mail, listing a 1750psi pressure washer for $79.99

http://m.harborfreight.com/1750-psi-13-gpm-electric-pressure-washer-63254.html

I washed my V, BMW, and the wife's Odyssey. I have to say I like the unit very much at the price. Lot of useful features and it's good quality. Not enough power to get brake fluid up from asphalt, but car duties are well-served by this thing.

$79 is a good deal. Im sure its very similar to the one I got.

With that said, I used mine again this weekend to wash the truck. Its a hassle! I think by the time I get the damn thing setup, the soap cannon loaded I could have the truck half washed. It doesn't really seem to cut any dirt from the truck either. I still have to hand wash the dirt off of it.

Ill keep it around for other things but I just plan to bucket wash it from now on.

I may try and wash the brz with it as its way smaller and the paint has a nice sealer on it so maybe itll be worth it for that, but I doubt it.