Home Improvement Thread II (2018)

Zx2guy19

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC they are considered code now.

Not anywhere I've ever worked or on any code I've ever seen but I've been out of residential for a bit now.

Yep not code.

We thought they were for a little while and started putting them under machines, but have since stopped. Even on second floors which I think is just nuts not to do...but not code = no pan (unless the buyer buys one of course).

I put a pan under mine, but it is not plumbed... just wanted it in case something started leaking a little, which would be hard to notice.

Not trying to take up a shit ton of space on here but Ive been busy working on our laundry room. This all started out with a water spot on the ceiling that had been there but looked like it was old. Turns out the water drain for the upstairs bathroom was leaking at a previous repair that was not done correct. Ended up having to cut out the wall and ceiling to get at it and repair. Since I now had to repaint the walls which was a god awful color we decided to just re do the entire room. On the other side of the room, it the previous owner had plumbing work done and they cut out the ceiling but never repaired it so I had to handle that once making sure everything they had done was sound.

On the wall behind the washer and dryer I had wanted to install a dryer box so I can push the washer and dryer all the way back to get some room and I needed to run some plumbing in the wall for the new sink to go in so I ended up removing the entire drywall. Good thing I ended up doing that because It turned out the toilet upstairs was leaking down the wall when flushed. So naturally I replaced the entire section of plumbing and replace the toilet flange.

Anyway, for the back wall I ended up moving the dryer vent over and up a bit to get the dryer closer, I replaced the washer box and all plumbing, Swapped out the single outlet for a dual gang outlet and wired up for under cabinet lights, moved the water drain and water feed for the sink, Insulated the wall and added recessed lighting.

Next up on the list is painting the ceiling, walls, installing new flooring and finally mounting the cabinets.

*Disclaimer Sorry about your eyes as this paint is bright..

Before:

50290319272_52351f26b2_b.jpg

Middle with everything done

50289498618_3091e56d82_b.jpg

Where we sit today:

50290319112_ffc3fced3c_b.jpg

Yep not code.

We thought they were for a little while and started putting them under machines, but have since stopped. Even on second floors which I think is just nuts not to do...but not code = no pan (unless the buyer buys one of course).

I put a pan under mine, but it is not plumbed... just wanted it in case something started leaking a little, which would be hard to notice.

A pan wouldn't have helped to be honest, but I bet it's good insurance. The old tank literally split on the bottom and water just gushed out. That's why I had to cut out a big chunk of drywall as it flooded behind the wall and it just absorbed it all.

• 3 weeks later...

been busy with the laundry room. Painted, put cabinets up, addied cabinet lighting and got the flooring laid down. I can say I never want to do tiling again it kinda sucked. Dont worry the register will be changed out. Still on the fence about backsplash, Figured we would wait until we get the base cabinet and countertop in before deciding.

50345576951_70766c8aa8_b.jpg

50345576861_61411862d5_b.jpg

50345734097_cef26233b6_b.jpg

50344881378_96273a588b_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Decided it was time to build a shed. 12x16. Had to be sided to match the house per the HOA. Got quotes from $6800 to $11,000, so I decided to do it myself. No plans, shit tools, just grip, and rip! All in for about $1300, I think she looks pretty good. :) I got lucky and got all my wood just as COVID was kicking in before the crazy price hikes.

i-9gMvqr8-X2.jpg

i-M6RnLcp-X2.jpg

Even built my own trusses from scratch

i-BvSQ8XX-X2.jpg

i-ChfLpqL-X2.jpg

i-pNQxWhf-X2.jpg

Looks pretty good. Kudos for building yourself. Why the extra hardware on the base?

Thanks! On the hardware, can you elaborate?

Good stuff JP I just paid people to setup a 10x16 this year for double that lol

Right! And, thats likley one that is just wood sides, 1x consturction, no loft...ect. Unfortunaly with the Vynal siding requirement, and my desire for a 2nd story of shelves, I was immediatly thrust into the $5k+ and up territory for one that was built and delivered.

That shelf up top is over 6ft high, and 24 deep. Lots of room for activites (IE, car junk lol)withotu losing any floor space.

i-q4WqNq5-X2.jpg

Thanks! On the hardware, can you elaborate?

Right! And, thats likley one that is just wood sides, 1x consturction, no loft...ect. Unfortunaly with the Vynal siding requirement, and my desire for a 2nd story of shelves, I was immediatly thrust into the $5k+ and up territory for one that was built and delivered.

That shelf up top is over 6ft high, and 24 deep. Lots of room for activites (IE, car junk lol)withotu losing any floor space.

i-q4WqNq5-X2.jpg

My guess is that he was asking about the joist hangers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The joist hangers used on the foundation in this pic.

EDIT: Ope. Shaun got it.

I put the joist hangers on first, then dropped joists in, then lag bolted, then suppoered with stone blocks underneath. Few reasons

1) 1 man show remember. It was simply the easiest way for me to do it solo.

2) YouTube said so :dumb:

3) Rather be overkill here. I am 200% sure there is going to be much more heavy shit than normal in here. I mean hell I already have 5 transmissions and a pile of axles on the corner shelves already LOL.

Edited by coltboostin

That's an awesome shed, JP.

Thanks! It honestly turned out better than expected for just winging it lol.

inb4 jps shed ocd kicks in and redoes the shelving. i know it all too well.

If there is one thing I am not, its OCD lol. For most things I do, good enough is good enough. ;)

Jp do you ever half ass anything, always turns out awesome man

Have you seen my car? LOL. The engine bay would give most people a heart attack. It works well, just looks like shit lol. My policy with the Hobo is 100% if it ain't broke, don't feaking touch it. So, some temporary patches become permanent fairly quickly. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've probably already posted this, but I did a garage wall in pallet wood....

EOkTAkZ.jpg

It took some time to break the pallets down, but for the price (free) it was well worth it. Or you can buy reclaimed wood, or the prefinished stuff that's make to look rustic, and save yourself a lot of time.