Question for the Jeep expert

Forrest Gump 9

define "good", in perfect stock trim it's 120hp and 140ft/lbs gross (not net), so it's slow. like glaciers give it a run for it's money slow, esp in something as heavy as an XJ cherokee. The only advice I can give you is to drive it to make sure you can live with how slow it is. If it is an a/c equipped XJ, you'll lose 20hp every time the compressor comes on because of the old WWII tank compressor Chryco used in that era.

That said, it's a nearly un-killable engine. AMC/Chrysler put it in everything from AMC Eagles and CJ7s to dodge dakotas. Don't expect it to get good mileage, I don't think that is what it was designed for and you really have to flog it anyway. Mopar paired 4.11 gears with the 2.5L so it will crawl up the side of a wall if you need it to, it's shockingly capable offroad provided your offroad is crawling and not desert running.

• 2 weeks later...
correct........kids today..... :(

I told you man, it's because it was autotragic and not stick. No manual car is boring, but an autoXJ is like a rolling lullaby.

Speaking of XJ's BTW, I saw a unicorn of one the Meijer parking lot over the weekend: a 2 door, 4.0L, 4x4, 5 speed rescue green metallic, pre-facelift Cherokee sport. I only remember ever seeing one in brochures when new, never one in real life before. It was bone stock too - no lift rolling on stock jeep alloys.

If you get the 2.5L Cherokee, I wouldn't plan on a huge resale value, even if it's mint.

I'm fine with base-model engines (like my 4-cyl BMW) but the couple of 4-cyl Jeep Wrangler's I've driven are borderline hazardous, especially on the highway.

correct........kids today..... :(

I call bullshit. You got that bish for a great price, fixed it up and knew you'd get top-dollar on that highly-desirable model. Don't pin this on your kid. :lol:

I'm sure you'd say "if he liked it I'd keep it", but c'mon Tim...;)

I call bullshit. You got that bish for a great price, fixed it up and knew you'd get top-dollar on that highly-desirable model. Don't pin this on your kid. :lol:

I'm sure you'd say "if he liked it I'd keep it", but c'mon Tim...;)

Haha! I actually would have kept it if I had a 3rd bay in the garage. To let it sit outside for him fine, it would have been a teens ride, but given it would have been mine at that point, it would needed to live inside. :p

I am bummed but I won't lie, it's offset by the profit made yes.