Best fun-ish daily under $12k?

Geeesammy

G8 GT if you don't mind 100k+ in your price range. LS, roomy, not a lot of issues outside of control arm replacement. No manual though, those are pricey.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

God forbid you do have an issue everything is hard as hell to get. I like these but don’t want to deal with trying to keep one nice. My buddy just had the springs break, rusted to the point of failure, and you can’t get stock height springs. Ended up with coilovers because he didn’t want to end up too low on lowering springs.

I hate euro cars, but I bet that’s your best bet Grant.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking into Maserati Coupe/Spyder a bit before I got the S2K.

Yes, Ferrari engine, but cross plane crank in the non-Ferrari cars... so half way there? Still a cool engine, a high reving smallish V8 with pretty high specific power, and that intake!

'F1 transmission' is just a marketing term. I'm pretty sure it's an automated (traditional single clutch) manual. I don't think anyone has made one of these for mass production that was worth a shit. The Maserati one is pretty well known to be a pile even when new, and had reliability problems. They did sell an MT version of that car, but it's pretty hard to find. The are more rare than the AMT and you have to shift through any search results because taters list the AutomatedMT as an MT. I think the Cambiocorsa trim is supposed to be the AMT and GT trim is supposed to be the MT, but the accuracy of that on Auto-trader is also really bad.

NOT the right price point due to year/mileage and probably too high listing price IMHO, but just an example.

Have you personally driven one of these things lol?

I never got to the point of wanting one enough to go check one out. That's why I asked what you thought of it since you have driven one.

It was not a great experience. The transmission shifting is slow, unbelievably clunky, and overall not very fun. We had another guy with a Ferrari F355 with the same "F1" transmission and most people with them hate them. It's considered a "automated" manual so when you are sitting at a light and take your foot off the brake nothing happens, you start to hit the gas and the clutch engages and it feels like you are taking off as a manual, but it's not smooth at all.

Motor was "ok" at best, nothing incredible.

The interior was absolutely trash, a bunch of the buttons on the dash had the texture of sticky croutons, they were falling apart and all the identification print on them had worn off.

This car had 20K miles on it.

The flip side to this is Tim Neely at Performance Auto Spa has one and really praises it. Personal opinion when it comes to any cars, but he would have insight from the other end of the argument.

• 3 months later...

OK so bumping this.

Still haven't picked up anything. Not sure WTF is wrong with me but anything I test drive I'm sure I will love I've gotten out of saying "meh"

Am I just becoming a boomer and losing my interest in cars? Driven everything from a GT350, C5/6/7Z, GTR, S4, Golf R, (obviously all way above initial budget, but I was getting concerned about my interest in cars) half dozen others, not a thing has left me unable to leave without buying it.

Any ideas?

OK so bumping this.

Still haven't picked up anything. Not sure WTF is wrong with me but anything I test drive I'm sure I will love I've gotten out of saying "meh"

Am I just becoming a boomer and losing my interest in cars? Driven everything from a GT350, C5/6/7Z, GTR, S4, Golf R, (obviously all way above initial budget, but I was getting concerned about my interest in cars) half dozen others, not a thing has left me unable to leave without buying it.

Any ideas?

If you passed on a GT350, a C7Z, and a GTR, I don't know what to tell ya, lol.

Here, go cheap?... https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/450848632978632/?ref=browse_tab&search_query=Iroc&tracking=%7B%22qid%22%3A%22692392273438545896&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.columbusracing.com%2F&_rdr

This.

Go classic car/truck, you have the wrenching abilities to make it doable.

Cayenne turbo. Traction control off you can get it sideways, no manual transmission though. Plenty of shit broke s to keep you busy. Loving mine so far. With some knobby tires on I’m tearing thru the snow this morning. So freaking fun people looked at me like I’m a lunatic

OK so bumping this.

Any ideas?

Have you driven any 4 door automatic 12 second cars? I hear they are the cats meow.

The infinity q60 period blood.

The Audi slow4

Etc.

Wrong transmission lol

They made a ton of them with a 6 speed manual. ;)

Also, since you are looking well beyond the constraints of your original post and your budget went as high as test driving GTR's, might as well check out the 392 and Hellcat Chargers/Challengers. The Challengers can be had with a manual, the Chargers are auto only. They are big and heavy, but also comfy and make great dailys.

They made a ton of them with a 6 speed manual. ;)

Also, since you are looking well beyond the constraints of your original post and your budget went as high as test driving GTR's, might as well check out the 392 and Hellcat Chargers/Challengers. The Challengers can be had with a manual, the Chargers are auto only. They are big and heavy, but also comfy and make great dailys.

My 392 Challenger Scat Pack was like sitting in a lazy boy in front of the TV, but that 392 with the M6 was fun as fuck when you mashed the loud pedal.

OK so bumping this.

Any ideas?

You're broken lol.

Buy our Golf R