What would you do?

smokin5s

So I put an order down on a new Mustang Mach E. Originally we were thinking that it was only going to be a month and a half to take possession of the vehicle but as we all know about the chip shortages, it looks like it will be next year sometime before I actually see the vehicle. With that being said, because I thought it was a short period of time before getting the car, I decided to take advantage of used car pricing and sold my daily driver. Now since it looks like it will be 6+ months, should I go buy a cheap beater somewhere or just continue to share my wife's car as she doesn't work and I'm currently working from home. It has caused a few arguments in our household because we need to go different places but I can see that getting way worse if it will go on for another 6 months. My wife doesn't think that I should go get a beater but I think she likes the control of me having to ask her to use her car. I do have my truck but living in the country and only getting 14mpg, I only drive it if I absolutely have to.

Is there anything you can do to the truck that will gain you a little bit of mpg? This could be a win-win-win. Get better mpg so you don't mind driving it as much, make it fit your desires more, and save money over a beater. Bed cover? Intake? Exhaust? Tune? Synthetic fluids? Maintenance (clean injectors, plugs, etc)? Clean out "dead weight"? Overall, it will be minimal gains but may make you happier/more comfortable driving the truck. I think unless you can come across a steal on a beater, you will be over paying (hence why you sold your daily). Another option may be to see if a friend or family member has a spare car they would loan you at a very cheap/free rate (careful, some insurance will invalidate coverage if they figure out this was done).

The truck is an Avalanche... it's already been tuned and I've done what I can... it also has 300k miles on it and it's just tired. It honestly runs great but it's old. I love driving it, I just don't like hearing my wife bitch at me about wasting money because I drove the truck and had to pay over 100 bucks to fill it up. Thus again why I think it's a control thing on her end.

I would buy this then sell it after the mach E comes in

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131062

I used to have an 04 GTP, probably the most uncomfortable car I've ever owned and the wife hated it. I also personally wouldn't pay that much for that car.

It has caused a few arguments in our household because we need to go different places

OK, let's break this down.....

My wife doesn't think that I should go get a beater but I think she likes the control of me having to ask her to use her car

I just don't like hearing my wife bitch at me about wasting money because I drove the truck

She doesn't think you should get a beater, and she doesn't think you should drive your truck, yet she argues about you needing to use her car?

If I were you, I would get a cheap beater, and get a new wife

buy a motorcycle. Then piss on her leg to assert your dominance.

kidding

I mean she has a point: beater = insurance costs + fuel cost + repair costs which isn't great. If she is already complaining about spending money with the truck, then this will accelerate that argument.

I am in favor of you buying a beater, esp a fun one, but you need to find a way to frame it as beneficial to her to win her over. Do the cost/benefit analysis of how you being independent of her car will benefit her.

Id just drive the beater Avalanche. In a world where you spreadsheet that beater vs a second beater, its going to be the most cost effective when you factor in insurance, registration, and maybe losing money on parts and the eventual sale of the second beater.

Id just drive the beater Avalanche. In a world where you spreadsheet that beater vs a second beater, its going to be the most cost effective when you factor in insurance, registration, and maybe losing money on parts and the eventual sale of the second beater.
This.

Seems obvious to me. If you figure the gas cost in the Avalanche, it will be nothing compared to added costs in another vehicle. The only way it would make sense otherwise, is if you absolutely don't want to drive the avalanche, trade it in on a different "beater".

Edit:. Just read the other thread, ride your electric bicycle and all problems are solved.

Edited by cstmg8

Guys you are taking this to a new level you cant just settle and beat.....her

But yeah idk. Is selling your truck and buying a better MPG truck a possibility? Thinking like an older ranger/etc. Had a 2.3 5spd Mazda/Ranger that got around 30mpg thing was amazing.

This is stupid. Stop complaining about the cost of gas and drive the Avalanche until you get the car you want. If she doesn’t like it drive her car, tell her that her choices are you drive the truck or her car until your new one comes in. If you guys can’t deal with that it’s probably time for marriage counseling.