Tire Mystery

Tonik

I always change my tires in pairs. The fronts are still good when I do that but not enough that I care to save a few dollars compared to the hassle of going to have them mounted twice.

This time, the front is wore out and there is still some life in the rear. Not a ton, but quite a bit. I am a stickler for tire pressure, check it every ride.

How did I wear the front out first. That has never happened on this bike, or any other bike that I can remember.

4 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

I’ve seen this before on a bike pulling a trailer. Maybe excess load on the back of the bike?

No trailer. I do put that "cooler rack" on the back for long trips but that is not very often.

Is this the first set of new shoes for the Wing?  Doesn't seem likely but if so, I gotta wonder if it's a result of the novel front suspension design that either 1) puts greater stress on the front when braking and cornering, or 2) provides so much greater feedback to the pilot that you're unknowingly pushing into corners faster/braking harder than on a bike with conventional forks.  Either way, the Wing is a heavy beast that will chew through sportbike rubber like I go through a plate of biscuits and sausage gravy!

3 hours ago, Tonik said:

Nope, have put several sets on it. Interesting, over on the Wing forum many are reporting the same. I find it odd.

I just talked to my dad and he is experiencing the exact same thing. Usually 2 rears to a front and now he is getting less mileage out of a front than a rear.

10 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

I just talked to my dad and he is experiencing the exact same thing. Usually 2 rears to a front and now he is getting less mileage out of a front than a rear.

To be clear. He used to get 2 rears to 1 front on the wing. Using the same tires it had now reversed? Just out of the blue?

7 minutes ago, Tonik said:

To be clear. He used to get 2 rears to 1 front on the wing. Using the same tires it had now reversed? Just out of the blue?

Yeah, he thinks getting comfortable with the bike and more front braking is causing it.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

Yeah, he thinks getting comfortable with the bike and more front braking is causing it.

That makes sense, I certainly push it and am front brakes all the time. However, I don't believe my riding style has changed that much. Maybe I have not noticed it.

Did you try out a new tire? Otherwise: +1 for having a lot of weight to stop and you being on the brakes while trail braking/stopping/etc. Have you been riding faster than normal on this set? Had a trip on it and you were loaded down, etc.

I do about 2/3 rears to 1 front and but that's track riding.

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

Did you try out a new tire? Otherwise: +1 for having a lot of weight to stop and you being on the brakes while trail braking/stopping/etc. Have you been riding faster than normal on this set? Had a trip on it and you were loaded down, etc.

I do about 2/3 rears to 1 front and but that's track riding.

Same tires. Only two explanations fit. I got a bad front tire, which I really doubt or I am riding differently.

@Pauly Notice any major changes on the way I have been riding?

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

Same tires. Only two explanations fit. I got a bad front tire, which I really doubt or I am riding differently.

@Pauly Notice any major changes on the way I have been riding?

You're just too fast for the wing man! Your riding spirit never matched the bikes you've ridden since I've known you minus the short stint on the fz6 haha.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

You're just too fast for the wing man! Your riding spirit never matched the bikes you've ridden since I've known you minus the short stint on the fz6 haha.

Yea, I need two bikes but last time I tried that it didn't end well.

2 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Besides going slower? No. 

See, I felt I was going slower too. I don't mind since I am not stuck behind me. But slower shouldn't wear a tire out faster.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Yea, I need two bikes but last time I tried that it didn't end well.

Just got to know your limits. Honestly though that kind of incident is the exact reason I stopped riding on the street like that. Was carrying too much risk towards the end on those faster street rides. I do absolutely miss taking trips with you guys though. 

No, Jim has slowed his role in the past year or two. He isn't pushing the front into corners. I cant see a reason why he would be chewing the front at an equal/greater pace than the rear. If other Wingers are noticing this as their bikes rack up miles, maybe something is up with the new front end design? That's a stretch, but worth investigating. 

3 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I do absolutely miss taking trips with you guys though. 

You can ride bitch on the Wing any time!

Seaking of tires, when I dropped them off at Sills there was a stack of track tires to be mounted. Unfortunately they were not yours. Was hoping to rub my on remaining nut on them like I did the last time.

On 6/27/2023 at 5:57 PM, Tonik said:

You can ride bitch on the Wing any time!

Seaking of tires, when I dropped them off at Sills there was a stack of track tires to be mounted. Unfortunately they were not yours. Was hoping to rub my on remaining nut on them like I did the last time.

Decent chance I know that person haha. I should've bought a tire machine years ago, would've paid for itself at this point.

7 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Decent chance I know that person haha. I should've bought a tire machine years ago, would've paid for itself at this point.

They have had my tires since Monday. They are down a person in the shop but dang it's only 2 tires.