What Questions Do You Have Regarding Motorcycle Laws and Regulations?

Artmageddon

I'd like to know the definitive word on this either cage or bike -

Ohio law (when I last looked into it) states that if a vehicle is going through an intersection and the light is yellow he or she may continue through even if it turns red.

The law doesn't appear to care if the light was yellow going in or not, just if its yellow and you're in the intersection go through.

I've been stopped 2 times once with a warning, once with a red light ticket when I saw the light turn from yellow to red in the rear view mirror of the GEO Storm I used to roll in.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long do you have to get your license after you get your temporary? I got my temp back in like...I don't even remember, June or July...but never took the test...will I have to get my temp again this season?

I'm pretty sure your temp license lasts a year before you have to take the test again.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the rules on riding a bike directly home from a private party sale if I carry the notarized title with me? I've had my license endorsement for several years and am not selling my current bike so I'll be getting new plates for the 'new' bike.

I thought about taking the plate off my current bike and temporarily putting it on the new bike only while I ride it home just to help appearances.

I'd like to know the definitive word on this either cage or bike -

Ohio law (when I last looked into it) states that if a vehicle is going through an intersection and the light is yellow he or she may continue through even if it turns red.

The law doesn't appear to care if the light was yellow going in or not, just if its yellow and you're in the intersection go through.

I've been stopped 2 times once with a warning, once with a red light ticket when I saw the light turn from yellow to red in the rear view mirror of the GEO Storm I used to roll in.

I know that in ohio it is legal to go through the intersection as long as the light is yellow once you hit the white lines...in michigan on the other hand, it is illegal to run a yellow light.

What's the rules on riding a bike directly home from a private party sale if I carry the notarized title with me? I've had my license endorsement for several years and am not selling my current bike so I'll be getting new plates for the 'new' bike.

I thought about taking the plate off my current bike and temporarily putting it on the new bike only while I ride it home just to help appearances.

As I understand it, no plates no ride.

Get a temp plate or just get the new plates.

Using other plates could be trouble if you get stopped.

Better to use their old plates and forget to mention that the title has been changed.

• 1 year later...
As I understand it, no plates no ride.

Get a temp plate or just get the new plates.

Using other plates could be trouble if you get stopped.

Better to use their old plates and forget to mention that the title has been changed.

I know several people who've ridden back from another state without a valid plate after buying a bike. I can't recall any of them getting any serious static about it. In fact, I don't think any of them even got stopped.

A guy I know was just telling me about the time he bought a bike in Illinois at the beginning of a holiday weekend. The plate follows the owner there, not the bike. Seller wouldn't loan the plate. Temp plates are available, but all the state offices were closed until Tuesday or something. So, he just rode on back without a plate. Had insurance, notarized title, etc., and was just going to explain to John Law if he got lit up.

And really-- what was he supposed to do? Asking someone to stay three days in another state rather than just ride home with a proper title, insurance, etc., is too much. The state could at least make the temp plates available at full-service supermarkets when the state offices are closed on the weekend if they're going to be hardassed about the temp plate requirement.

Anyway, he said he had his wife with him to provide some cover in a cage behind him. No LE contact at all on the way. He said he got on and off the turnpike in IN and OH two or three times. Passed by the fuzz a couple of times on the freeway. No one said squat.

I think, actually, that a bike with no plate is much easier to get away with than a cage. I think people wouldn't be quick to notice, unless they were looking specifically for it.

Anyway, it would be interesting to hear the constable's opinion.