Your first bike...was is a 250???

PrincessPratt

Soooo I had a conversation with a guy in Mexico last week that recently started riding. He said he bought a ninja 250 b/c all his friends suggested that was a good starter bike to purchase. I of course was unable to rationalize at 2am and lots of baybreezes and started laughing. Then after thinking this really isn't that bad of a bike for a guy to purchase for his first bike....right?? I understand the rationale for a female buying one but was just wondering if any other guys from here had a 250 for their first bike and if so what was your reasoning??? :confused:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i had a 07 ninja 250. Was actually a great bike to learn on. Not enough power to be stupid but i was able to easily learn all the basics. Was a great first bike. Sto see it go(just got a 600 the other day). You dont want to be doing 125mph before you realize you dont know how to lean it or stop it ya know?

Ya I feel bad b/c the whole rest of the night I ran my mouth about his "little" bike. LOL. I was such an ass!

HAHA. When you think about it, the power to weight ratio is still really good so it will beat most cars off the line and in the 1/4 mile.

First bike is in my sig. Liter Bike

I was going to get a liter bike for my second bike but my exhusbands R1 scared the hell out of me in first gear! I'm still learning my black beauty that I have now! :p Now I have no desire to upgrade for power! Just give me a VRod with my GSXR and we'll be one big happy family!

it was so pathetic i bought it for 100 bucks IT RAN ! rattle canned it black had to jump start it everytime it was cold.. even with a tender and new battery lol... wouldnt always go into neutral, there is more but hell i didnt care for my first bike... shit i sold it for 1000

show off! .... :lol:

jk

He's got a point. The 88-97's had a huge problem with the 2nd gear shift fork, it would get bent if you mis-shifted long enough. Easier and cheaper to replace motor/tranny combo than it is to rip the tranny apart to replace the fork.

I don't understand why a lack of penis makes any difference.. a newb is a newb regardless of genitalia. Most riders' date=' especially male riders, would benefit if they ditched their liter bikes for a spell and spent the season on a 250. Cock and balls are irrelevant.. I would think.[/quote']

I wrote that b/c historically females are shorter! LIKE ME!

I don't understand why a lack of penis makes any difference.. a newb is a newb regardless of genitalia. Most riders' date=' especially male riders, would benefit if they ditched their liter bikes for a spell and spent the season on a 250. Cock and balls are irrelevant.. I would think.[/quote']

+1

i beyond agree i have a few friends that i used to ride with that could use a few lessons on a smaller displacment bike to make them actual presentable riders

Why did you get that tho?? Were you nervous about the power of larger bikes as a novice rider?

I started out on a 02 Katana 600. The power-to-weight ratio of that vs. something like my 600RR is night and day. It's FAR easier to do something completely retarded on my RR than it is on the Katana. For example, if you can hold a 45 degree wheelie on my Kat for more than 10 seconds, I'll title the bike over to you.* :)offer void in Ohio

In getting a larger, more obscure bike like that, there are a few drawbacks. When you drop it (and it's just a matter of time), you are dropping a fully faired, 460 pound DRY piece of metal. It's going to take some effort to bring back up, and now you've just dinged up a few pieces of pretty expensive plastic. If you need parts in a hurry, good luck finding them at Iron Pony. Most everything you will buy will be mail order, which isn't terrible as you'll save some cash from IP.

*offer valid in interwebland

I started out on a 02 Katana 600. The power-to-weight ratio of that vs. something like my 600RR is night and day. It's FAR easier to do something completely retarded on my RR than it is on the Katana. For example, if you can hold a 45 degree wheelie on my Kat for more than 10 seconds, I'll title the bike over to you.* :)offer void in Ohio

does that mean i cant get the title when i blow your mind?

Edited by RC51 John