Your first bike...was is a 250???

PrincessPratt

Hahahahaha, no.... I started on a Honda 160, tore it down over Winter, installed high compression big bore kit for 182cc @ 12.5 compression. (we still had Sunoco 260.) Remember that the largest Japanese bike at the time was a 450 twin, with better horsepower/weight ratio than an HD 883.

I went straight from that, to working at a Honda shop and riding them all, Hondas, BSAs, Husqvarnas, and any other bike that wound up on the used bike showroom floor. And then bought 4 different Honda 350s over the years, before buying a CB550F (faster in the 1/8 mile than a liter bike of the era). Mixed in were various other Japanese bikes and Nortons that were flipped for cash profit.

I bought the 919 because it is naked, standard, weighs the same as the CB550F, and has at least twice the HP.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're gonna' hate pushing that thing around.. for realz. :eek:

Lulz.

PP get whatever makes your quiver shiver. As long as your happy with it. I could get 2 bikes off my wish list for 1 Vrod. Or a trick Aprilia or Duc for that matter.

Jason why you hatin on me for wanting a VRod???? What up wit dat bro???

I'm not sure how a V-Rod does it, but it's performance is impressive when I ride with one. Just huge amounts of torque available at all throttle. Having a very wide power band is something most bikes do not have. It will not flick around like a lighter bike though. You set your line and ride it.

Lulz.

PP get whatever makes your quiver shiver. As long as your happy with it. I could get 2 bikes off my wish list for 1 Vrod. Or a trick Aprilia or Duc for that matter.

Ya but I've been wanting one for 3 years now! I'm not going to purchase on until my second mortage is paid off next year. I have to be smart about it! So I have to time to rethink what I'm gonna get! The night rod special is pretty sexy tho! You at least have to admit that! ;)

My progression of bikes was retarded and I would not recommend what I did to anyone. I am lucky to be alive, some can buy a liter bike for their first bike and get away with it, and I would not have been one of those people. Luckily I am old enough that my FJ1200 wasn't quite what these modern liter bikes are. My girlfriend has a 250 ninja that I ride as much as I do the 600. It’s a great bike for anyone starting out and beyond. I’m glad we have it and if we had to get ride of one of the bikes it would be a hard choice to make between the 250 and 600.

Be careful what you wish for with the VRod you might not like it as much as you are anticipating. I had a Roadking Classic for three years and only put 5,600 miles on it because it didn't fit me well. It killed my back and shoulders, a backrest helped but I still couldn't travel far with it. I had a busa that I put 16,000 miles on in 15 months; the damn thing just fit me. I suspect that any cruiser would have been a problem though so this is not a Harley thing. If you get the opportunity rent the VRod for a weekend it might save you a lot of money.

I started on a liter bike... a very old liter bike, but it ran 12's @ 120... not as fast as either of the bikes I have now, but it'd scoot w/ the modern 600s (mainly because most of the kids at the track didn't ride them right).

I still think my g/fs GS500F was a cool bike, I put a thousand miles on that bike over the one summer we had it. I like having the lower cc bikes because I never felt like I had to 'prove anything to anyone'. Yea, I have a 'busa, but I feel like rocking the 500cc bike. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?

First bike was a Busa. I've ridden smaller bikes since then, glad I have my Busa. Couldn't ride a smaller bike every day. And no, that's not a dig towards smaller bikes. They just aren't comfortable for me.

My CBR600RR was/is my first. I thought about getting a 250 for the longest time, but felt comfortable that I would be okay with the 600...let alone I wanted that little extra "oomph" since I have some extra padding on me. :D

I rode my brothers CBR1000 a couple days back...honestly I like my 600 better. I'll probably stay with it until I go to a cruiser.

A guy I worked with in VA wanted to start riding and everyone laughed at him for looking at smaller bikes to learn on. So he went with a liter bike it took him a month or two before he got out of the hospital after having the bike about 2 weeks.

So I would much rather see someone start out and learn on a much smaller bike then progress up to the more powerful bikes. Much safer that way.

I started on a 250, but then that was in the UK where there is a tiered system. I didn't have a choice at the time, 250 was the largest displacement allowed for a learner. Later the maximum displacement for a learner went down to 125. It is totalitarian, yes, but there are a lot of good capable riders in the UK because of it... and some tasty smaller displacement bikes.

Check out the infamous start small blurb

Okay, I confess, my first 250 was an RD250 (two stroke) - a little different from a Ninja 250. I've ridden my nephew's Ninja 250 though and it really was a lot of fun. Wringing that thing out down on OH-255 would be fantastic fun.

I started on a 250, but then that was in the UK where there is a tiered system. I didn't have a choice at the time, 250 was the largest displacement allowed for a learner. Later the maximum displacement for a learner went down to 125. It is totalitarian, yes, but there are a lot of good capable riders in the UK because of it... and some tasty smaller displacement bikes.

Check out the infamous start small blurb

Okay, I confess, my first 250 was an RD250 (two stroke) - a little different from a Ninja 250. I've ridden my nephew's Ninja 250 though and it really was a lot of fun. Wringing that thing out down on OH-255 would be fantastic fun.

The U.S. would benefit from a tiered system.

I started on a 2008 250. Bought it cause I didnt want to kill myself outta the gates and it was in my cash price range.

Kept it for I think 2 months and sold it for sticker price, and bought the 750.

I laugh cause the first time out on colerain ave going towards ross i hit 60 and i was like omg zoooom.

heh I laugh at that now when I'm riding with Matt.

But non the less it was great to educate me to riding on two wheels.