New (to me) older bike! VF500F

jporter12

Yea I know several people that have repaired that with out tearing the engine apart. I will have to check my files to see if I can find it for you.

The write-ups that I've found are for the V65, but I'm sure I can apply the techniques to my 500.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep :beathorse: this post :lol:

I have the oil leaks pretty much taken care of! The primary culprit was the clutch pushrod seal, I shoved a small o-ring inside the seal (since the shaft shouldn't be spinning much, anyway) and that took care of that one, the other one was the stupid oil cap! I overlooked the fact that it's supposed to have on o-ring on it! As long as I got the right size o-ring on it, all should be good for oil leaks!

Next task to accomplish is replacing a few o-rings on the coolant tubes that go to the headsm 1 per cylinder, that are right under the carbs. I think I need to do this before the next step, in case I need to remve the carbs.

Next, I need to sync the carbs. I haven't had any luck with finding Hg to refill my friends sync tool, so I think I might be heading to the Iron Pony to get a whole new set. I need to do the Ninja, also. And Chevysoldier can use them for his Yammy.

From there, I have a fuel delivery issue that I THINK I have nailed down to vapor lock. The fuel line runs right next to the rear cylinder head. After riding for 20 or so miles, it runs out of fuel. I think it was starting to do it the other day while I was riding (not as far) so I reached down and squeezed the line a few times in the suspect area and it seemed to improved a little bit, or at least didn't get any worse. That one will have to be verified when I get to ride it further, and can deal with problems. Until then, longer trips will be on the Ninja.

Once riding weather is gone, the bike is getting taken apart, engine rebuilt, maybe suspension upgrades, and paint! I think I've found a way to get paint that will work with the system we use at work. All I have left then is for someone to airbrush on the Hon-duh logo and writing, since I can't find the decals for it.

Stay tuned, as I will update more as I get stuff done!

Ugh, I'm getting frustrated with this bike! Today I tried sync'ing the carbs, and THAT was a bust! I'm pulling them back off and setting them with a feeler gauge, and fixing the (minor) coolant leaks at the same time. I think they were WAY off, making the syncing job go to the toilet.

On a side note, the bike started smoking BADLY out the exhaust while idling for a long time. Definately oil smoke. I'm hoping that it's ok after I get the carbs straightened out!

I DID manage to get the fuel problem figured out, it was the filter, don't know why it took a while of running for the problem to show up, but it's fixed for now. Fuel pump is back in the loop also, I just need to put a filter back inline, since I just took that one out.