It's official - Deal's Gap area sucks

Earache

The realization hit me square in the face this past weekend; Deal's Gap area sucks. It's jumped the shark big time.

1,000's of un-muffled Harleys blatting around at 15 miles per hour, clogging up traffic as best they can while constantly revving their motors so everyone else can enjoy the sound of theire shitbox paint shaker bikes...

IMG_5539Large.jpg

IMG_5539Large.jpg

The owners of the Deal's Gap store have embraced the HD'ers. They now sell beer. Saw loads of riders sitting there, drinking multiple beers and then heading out on ther Gap on the bikes. Un fuckin believeable...

IMG_5545Large.jpg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The skill level of some of the riders is also hard to believe. We saw 3 bikes in the space of an hour get dumped just trying to get out of the parking lot!

IMG_5562Large.jpg

IMG_5563Large.jpg

IMG_5564Large.jpg

IMG_5565Large.jpg

Missed the shots on the first two and only got pics of them picking up the third one. Should have hung around for another 20 minutes to get the next one.

Edited by Earache

The roads are absolutely choked with HD's going 15 mph. How they manage to have so many crashes at that speed is beyond me. And that's what it attracting the cops.

Last week, a woman from Canada lost it in a curve and hit a tree and was killed. Huge numbers of female riders, that are obviously in their first season of riding. wobbling all over the roads. Nothing against women riders at all - but don't bring your 800 lbs bike here to ride ff you can barely navigate a corner and speeds of 20 mph scare you.

Got to ride around that area when I visited my Grandma at her NC cabin. Stayed away from the Gap though, this is all I hear about it anymore.

Same here - I'll never go anywhere near that place anymore until the HD fucks are gone or all dead.

Lots of other places to ride away from there.

Sorry your trip was so disappointing. Kind of like seeing a hord of 4 wheelers with beer coolers staped to them and riders in flip flops tearing up your favorite trail because they can. Why is it the dumb people breed faster? :lol:

I wait for the day that the US switches to the european standard of beginners are only allowed up to 250cc's and then progress in size as they gain experience. But it will never happen because HD would have to close it's doors.

The selling of alcohol is a bit disconcerting. That aside' date=' were all the roads crammed with Hardleys or just 129?

You're report has alerted me to the fact that I need to come in from the south instead of taking 129 down from the top. Thanks![/quote']

Mostly 129 ands 28. We didn't ride the Cherohala - but it'll be jammed up as well.

Getting south of Franklin, NC will be the place togo from now on. Too bad it's a hike ot get down there.

I'll be heading into northern Georgia next time I go south, hopefully the HD'ers won't get down there yet. There's also good riding to be had northeast of Ashville - not too many HD's up that way either.

dont hate. u can share the road.

yes, the revving is annoying.

i cant believe they sell alcohol now. i dont agree with that. sure theyll get more money from selling it, but at what cost (not talkin dollars and cents)? why would you sell alcohol knowing ur customers are riding this dangerous road?

thats sad... i loved it down there 3 years ago is when i was there last.. it was just startin to get bad then

Not to sound like a bitter old man, (little late for that, eh?), but 20 years ago it was fantastic. 55 mph, no HD's, no cops and a "busy" day meant that there would be 6 bikes at Pete's Deal's Gap gas station.

Gone forever it seems.

Not to sound like a bitter old man, (little late for that, eh?), but 20 years ago it was fantastic. 55 mph, no HD's, no cops and a "busy" day meant that there would be 6 bikes at Pete's Deal's Gap gas station.

Gone forever it seems.

This is why I'm glad HDs don't go off road. :lol:

Last time for me was 2005. I knew it was getting worse from web chatter but your pics have sealed the deal for me ~ never again.

NW Arkansas and Vermont are good.

yeah, but they're further away, too.

Tennessee was nice as it was only a 5 hour trailer drive or a nice day's ride to get there.

I've known for several years it was becoming "Little Sturgis" around there, but I kept hoping the fad would blow over.

Last time for me was 2005. I knew it was getting worse from web chatter but your pics have sealed the deal for me ~ never again.

NW Arkansas and Vermont are good.

I've never been there but would never even consider going with they way it is. I know the cops are heavy there, I've seen that on the web in videos as well as plenty of wrecks on youtube but the fact that they are selling beer now is about the most ridiculous thing you could do. I've often wondered the same thing about "bike nights", why have them at bars???

I've never been there but would never even consider going with they way it is. I know the cops are heavy there' date=' I've seen that on the web in videos as well as plenty of wrecks on youtube but the fact that they are selling beer now is about the most ridiculous thing you could do. I've often wondered the same thing about "bike nights", why have them at bars???[/quote']

because they are tring to get money... its not about us.. it never is.. its about bringing more business into the storefront that is putting it on its about the dollar.. and how do you earn money by using one of the highest marked up thing on the menu.. booze and no to sount like a cruiser basher i see plenty of sport riders do this to.. but typically the middle aged cruiser rider and friends are more likely to sit down and drink than the younger sportbike rider that just wants to get on the road

Try hitting the gap at 6:30 am on a weekday. Perfect riding. You have it to yourself.

Theres a million other roads down there that are great, the main ones - 129, 441, 28, attract a lot of people, but the secondary roads are just as good, maybe better, with less traffic.

And Cherohala is still one of the best roads I've ever ridden. It has always been lightly trafficked when I've been there. Best time to ride that is dawn on a weekday, camp out at Indian Boundary and you can be on the skyway before it's light out. Awesome!