It's official - Deal's Gap area sucks

Earache

Try hitting the gap at 6:30 am on a weekday. Perfect riding. You have it to yourself.

Theres a million other roads down there that are great, the main ones - 129, 441, 28, attract a lot of people, but the secondary roads are just as good, maybe better, with less traffic.

And Cherohala is still one of the best roads I've ever ridden. It has always been lightly trafficked when I've been there. Best time to ride that is dawn on a weekday, camp out at Indian Boundary and you can be on the skyway before it's light out. Awesome!

THIS!

West NC and East TN is exactly what you make it. Don't go to the Dragon on the weekend in the middle of the day and you'll have no more reason to complain. Go explore the myriad roads down there. There are thousands of miles of pristine asphalt to be enjoyed that the hogs and squids will never dare to find.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well any of you silly enough to head to the Gap on the weekend deserve what you get. The Gap has been a Circus on Weekends for years now. We always drop by when in the area. Just there end of June after a week of riding N.Va. area. But! We stopped by on Wednesday. No sight of ONE LEO. Only a couple Hardly Moving Motorcycles. Nice time. For what it's worth. Tenn. LEO's like to grab as much of that revenue as they can. On weekends, they take up residence at the Rt. 421 area. They pull you over to harrass you for things like not having proper Insurance, proper exhaust, (their decision of what is proper), etc.. Mostly just trying to find ANYTHING to ticket you for. So of course, we don't go there on weekends either.

Fun areas to ride, fun roads to run. You just have to plan your visits better.

Try hitting the gap at 6:30 am on a weekday.

!

West NC and East TN is exactly what you make it. Don't go to the Dragon on the weekend in the middle of the day and you'll have no more reason to complain. Go explore the myriad roads down there. There are thousands of miles of pristine asphalt to be enjoyed that the hogs and squids will never dare to find.

Fun areas to ride, fun roads to run. You just have to plan your visits better.

Great. Now the noobs are giving me riding tips.

We were there on a Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Cops all over on each day. Did a early evening ride through at around 7:00 PM on our way back from GA Friday and a bike cop was still on the Gap. They're getting wise to the early morning and early evening thing as well.

lol this thread reminds me of

That video was shot by my bud from Indy - Jason. That's his retarded ex-girlfriend talking in the background "Why would they do that?!?!?" Glad he dumped her.

What you don't see inthe vid is that they were ina motorhome with a 28' long trailer, going very slow. They probably should have pulled over and let people pass, but didn't think any of the pull off areas were suitable. Thus the HD guys going for the stupid pass.

But, had the HD's been able to turn like a normal bike, they would have made the pass. The inability of the low riding HD's to turn is the main cause of so many of their wrecks.

Nobody said anything about your riding.

I go there in June every year. PEAK riding season for the gap. During the R6/R1 and DAM biker rally and guess what... I stay off the gap during peak hours and have a blast.

No, it isn't the super secret special road that it used to be, things change.

Your obviously gracious personality should have enabled you to meet some locals that could have clued you in on the better roads in the area... or not.

Your obviously gracious personality should have enabled you to meet some locals that could have clued you in on the better roads in the area... or not.

You don't know Eric very well...There aren't too many "better" roads in any area of the USA that he doesn't already know...

Nobody said anything about your riding.

I go there in June every year. PEAK riding season for the gap. During the R6/R1 and DAM biker rally and guess what... I stay off the gap during peak hours and have a blast.

No, it isn't the super secret special road that it used to be, things change.

Thanks Mr. Condescending. I had no idea there were any other roads down there.

Thanks Mr. Condescending. I had no idea there were any other roads down there.

That wasn't very nice of me - sorry about that. Please don't take offense.

I've been riding the area for 30 years, please believe me when I say I know of some other roads dpown there. I know what to expect on various days of the week and various times of the day. Still irks me a bit though that the low lifes have invaded the area and are turning into another Daytona Beach.

Funny you'd mention the R1 / R6 Forum Conventions. Any idea who set up the very first R1 convention there? We had 10 members show up that year.

Edited by Earache

I can't stop laughing.

Zach, uhm, yeah... Eric is kinda like the resident expert on Deals Gap and the four state surrounding area. He's been going like once a month, for like 25+ years. He was our "guide" last October when a few of us went down there. He showed us some roads that were freaking insane. We only went through the Gap to get to other places. FYI.

btw; who was the dude talking at :42? 'oh dude their going to beat our asses' :lol:

That was Jason. He was saying that as there were about 20 bikes behind them for a decent amount of time. I'm sure had they stuck artound, they would have at least got some verbal abuse if not some physical abuse from the 18 riders that didn't go down the ditch.

best time to ride the dragon IMO is go down on a weekday and get up EARLY and head out to ride. like 6 am or so. its usually pretty quiet early in the morning.

if you make it up there during the week about 8 am its also empty as crap.

:o

sorry, it also irks me when people make it sound like the dragon is as entertaining as the lines a cedar point. :D

I've met too many people that don't want to go and experience it because of all the horror stories of hogs and squids.

I'll agree that if you want to ride the gap go down during the week (mon-wed would be best) and get up early. I quit riding the weekends down there 7 years ago. We got plenty of decent roads here in Ohio and WV as well so I don't see the need to go to the gap any longer now.

Whenever people from out of the state ( I belong to 7 motorcycle forums) ask me about Ohio roads I tell them "Stay home, Ohio roads suck" :D) I come across to many parades ( HD riders going 25mph) around here now and don't want to add to it.

I really like riding in WV and I think there helmet law keeps many of the douche bags off the roads. We all know Harley riders hate helmet laws and don't like riding further than 4 miles before arriving to the next bar.

I'll agree that if you want to ride the gap go down during the week (mon-wed would be best) and get up early. I quit riding the weekends down there 7 years ago. We got plenty of decent roads here in Ohio and WV as well so I don't see the need to go to the gap any longer now.

Whenever people from out of the state ( I belong to 7 motorcycle forums) ask me about Ohio roads I tell them "Stay home, Ohio roads suck" :D) I come across to many parades ( HD riders going 25mph) around here now and don't want to add to it.

I really like riding in WV and I think there helmet law keeps many of the douche bags off the roads. We all know Harley riders hate helmet laws and don't like riding further than 4 miles before arriving to the next bar.

+1 on WVA. Cheap hotels, friendly people and great roads all over the place. I haven't done any dual sport riding there, but that has to be fantastic as well.

Nice strip bars as well.....or so I've been told.

I haven't done any dual sport riding there, but that has to be fantastic as well.

NO, it sucks, stay home! :lol:

I've only been to Deals Gap twice. My first trip last year made me wonder why it got all the bad press. No one was there at all (see u-tube video). But as the vetrans pointed out to me, it had rained and it was before Killboy could even get there.:D Second time was this spring for the Tour De Tellico, mostly offroad stuff on the KLR (video of this too). I hope if I go again I will luck out and not experience the circus that Eric did or meet the super troopers with the endless ink pens. :rolleyes:

I figure if I wanna see bad riders and hopeless loosers on bikes I can go to Iron Poney bike night. :p (Do they still have that?) :confused: