It's official - Deal's Gap area sucks

Earache

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it with people lately? We're not impressed with your internet smack talk and we won't miss you. Try getting to know people first. Yeesh.

Agreed, I don't think it would bother me as much if they introduced themselves, got to know some folks first.

But the immediate smack talk really bugs me.:mad:

Not to worry. I'm out. this is obviously not the place for me. All you little boys have your fun.

you need to grow a thicker skin. this is a internet forum.

the gap is not as bad as people make it out to be.

I've been there a ton of times. go out early morning when all the other people are still sleeping or just about to wake up.

the cops usually don't show up until 10-11am.

they know the crouds don't gather until then. and it's still not really "crouds".

most of them sit at the crossroads and bullshit most of the time.

I have tried the get out early route and found it to be fail. The road is too slippery to have any fun and be safe. I'm talking about 1/2 hour after sunrise, it does get better later when the crowds get out and maybe that’s why it gets crowded then. I have personally had more problems with sport bike riders on the gap, cruisers are easily dispatched but sport bike riders tend to think no one should be passing them so they won't let you by. It is not a race track so I won't make a marginal pass. As stated many times there are great roads in the area to explore when the gap is crowded so you can't have a bad day being down there.

If you haven't been there I would certainly go. The road is free of driveways and intersecting roads and for the most part gravel since most of the photographers sweep the gravel off, add to that it is well maintained by the state. It's a beautiful area with lots of opportunity to explore. I say go, it's not without danger but that is mostly up to you and how you ride. The only close call I have had there was with a Goldwing coming into my lane, if you ride with a little in reserve situations like that are possible to manage.

If you haven't been there I would certainly go. The road is free of driveways and intersecting roads and for the most part gravel since most of the photographers sweep the gravel off, add to that it is well maintained by the state. It's a beautiful area with lots of opportunity to explore. I say go, it's not without danger but that is mostly up to you and how you ride. The only close call I have had there was with a Goldwing coming into my lane, if you ride with a little in reserve situations like that are possible to manage.

and they've paved the pulloffs and eliminated the drop offs. :)

that's why i never understood the "bike night" at bars.

Just because you're at a bar doesn't mean you have to drink. However, Bike Night at Chucky Cheese does seem a little gay. :rolleyes: It would be cool to do a bike day someplace like Tar Hollow or Old Mans Cave area since there is something for everyone down there. Cruisers and Sport bikes can hit rt56 past Ash cave and surrounding areas and Dual Sport riders can do the unimproved roads. Maybe even an area like Burr Oak or Monday creek, same situation. It would also eliminate the drinking. ;) Maybe an Ohio Riders Picknic? I might even ride the V-strom and try to stay out of the dirt.:eek:

I have always wanted to go, have heard people talking about it for years. I just never had the time/money/expierence. Now that I have quite as few years under my belt, I'm looking to plan some kind of trip. Is there a road/area close to Ohio that anyone would recomend?

Thanks in advance.

I still need to go and experience it at least once... hopefully earlier in the week

ditto

I have always wanted to go, have heard people talking about it for years. I just never had the time/money/expierence. Now that I have quite as few years under my belt, I'm looking to plan some kind of trip. Is there a road/area close to Ohio that anyone would recomend?

Thanks in advance.

coshocton FTW

that's why i never understood the "bike night" at bars.

Okay, now if you're gonna jump in here at least start at the beginning and read all the way thru (see post #23)...

I've never been there but would never even consider going with they way it is. I know the cops are heavy there' date=' I've seen that on the web in videos as well as plenty of wrecks on youtube but the fact that they are selling beer now is about the most ridiculous thing you could do. I've often wondered the same thing about "bike nights", why have them at bars???[/quote']

Is there a road/area close to Ohio that anyone would recomend?

Thanks in advance.

Are you just looking for something to warm up on or something that is like the dragon? For a warm up try rt 56 from rt664 to the Ash Cave parking area. For something that is like the dragon try rt555 south of Zanesville. Rt 555 is more technical, in my opinion, because it has elevation changes and tight 90 degree corners with gravel not found on the Dragon. It also has obsticals like cows in the middle of the road. :eek:

My wife and I left the kids at home and loaded my VStar in a truck for a week in Gatlinburg last month. We went down on Monday, and spent Tuesday on the bike. We rode from Gatlinburg down 321 to the Foothills Parkway to 129, in the early afternoon and had a great time! We were on the Dragon around 3:00 in the afternoon, saw only 1 LEO which was near the resort on the way down, and a pretty good mix of all types of bikes. The weather probably played a role in keeping a lot of people away though. There was rain in the forecast the entire week we were down there, and as it happened after making a clean, dry run South, we got lunch at the resort and it started raining. We tried to wait it out, but after over an hour of rain we decided to go ahead and head back to Gatlinburg. That part sucked, but we got some spectacular pics of the Smokies. The story we tell family and friends is that Dragon is an awesome road, but we didn't find it to be much of a challenge on a nice day, so we decided to try it in the rain. We leave out the fact that we didn't have much choice in the matter.

The wife and I

Edited by Ziggy