F*ck you Likwid

Likwid

Seriously, I don't blame anyone for saying this...

Woke up this morning at 6:00, couldn't sleep anymore... went downstairs grabbed some breakfast watched some TV and then got ready to leave an hour and a half early so I would be way early to Circle K to meet JRM and Doom. Warm up the bike, put on all my gear jump on Scarlet and start backing her out of the garage, "hmmm she feels heavier than normal.... this is odd".... go to turn around in my drive away and I can barely move her, look down... front tire is 100% flat. FUCK. I grabbed the air pump and filled her back up. This has happened before but I normally catch it before it's 100% flat. (The pin in my valve stem is leakey after you check the air if you aren't careful to make sure the pin is centered).

Great I'm full, wait 5 minutes check the air again, great ready to go. I start riding out of the neighborhood and something doesn't feel right, about 1 mile up the road something is WAY not right.... feels like I'm riding on a rutted road (you know that wobbly feeling)... I accelerate hard it disapears, slow down it reappears, coast and shift all my weight back, nothing, put some weight on the front end... comes back. Pull off the side of the road.... front tire still has air... must just be something odd. I keep going.... get about 1 miles from the turnpike and it's BAAAAAD.... I took my hands off the bars and the front end is shaking like CRAZY. I decided it was better to let a bunch of people down then wreck my bike and possibly kill myself.

Come back home going about 30 the whole way, trying to figure out what's going on, get home get the front tire off the ground, it's WAY offbalance... I deflate the tire and checked everything, reinflate... still offbalance. It looks like the inner part of the tire is supposed to be free but it's stuck in the middle of the rim... I can't get this fixed by myself. Additionally my front brake IS in fact scraping, I think it's too early for the brake pads to be worn so it could be misalignment, but I'll probably end up replacing the pads when I take the front wheel off.

So, too long didn't read? Likwid's a fucking asshole and won't be at the M&G like he promised.

JRM: Sorry to wake you up this morning.

Pauly: Expect a call when you get back from the Dragon, I figure you can fix this tire shit.

Everyone Expecting SA stuff: Incredibly sorry to let you guys down. I'm trying to get the stuff down there for you, but if I can't it's still yours and I'll figure out how to get it to you.

Edited by Likwid

Fuck you likwid!!

:). The bright side is at least you had an issue so close to home and there was no wreck. I hope it's a easy cheap fix and you are able to get back on the bike soon.

I hope so too, I really really thought about just riding down to CBus with it like that... but as I was about to take the turnpike exit off RT 8 I thought about all the folks on here that have been injured lately (bkizz was on the top of my mind) ... I didn't want to risk it.

you could always call a limo :dunno:

I am! I'm calling folks around me to see who wants to drive down. My lease is up in a few months and I'm at my mileage limit :(

Anyone from NEO area driving down that doesn't mind my ass in their car? Kos is headed down I know but he's got the whole family and I don't know how long he's planning on staying for.

I hope so too, I really really thought about just riding down to CBus with it like that... but as I was about to take the turnpike exit off RT 8 I thought about all the folks on here that have been injured lately (bkizz was on the top of my mind) ... I didn't want to risk it.

Smart move. You'll come here some other time. Riding a bike that's not right isn't worth it.

The tire bead isn't seating right. It probably moved in toward the rim when it was extremely out of air. Kinda rare, but that's what it sounds like. Not too cool if that's a tubeless tire. It's real common on the old tube tires. You should still be able to pop it back to where it belongs. I've done that, and fiddling around with it will put it back where it belongs. Letting a little air out will make it easier to re-position. Sometimes just beating the tire with a rubber mallet will pop it out. If it's the valve stem leaking, you can buy those and put a new one in. With a valve stem tool, of course.

But even then, I wouldn't want to push my luck with a front tire. And no, I wouldn't want to jump on and ride long distance after that happening.

The tire bead isn't seating right. It probably moved in toward the rim when it was extremely out of air. Kinda rare, but that's what it sounds like. Not too cool if that's a tubeless tire. It's real common on the old tube tires. You should still be able to pop it back to where it belongs. I've done that, and fiddling around with it will put it back where it belongs. Letting a little air out will make it easier to re-position. Sometimes just beating the tire with a rubber mallet will pop it out. If it's the valve stem leaking, you can buy those and put a new one in. With a valve stem tool, of course.

But even then, I wouldn't want to push my luck with a front tire. And no, I wouldn't want to jump on and ride long distance after that happening.

That seems to be exactly what's going on, I tried beating on it to get it to seat, then tried overinflating hoping it would "pop" back into place. Valve stem is fine now, I figured out that you have to tighten it with the reverse side of the cap to make sure it doesn't leak.

Here's a picture of the tire/rim, it is tubeless. It's right along there I can't get the inside track of the tire to reset back, it seems like it's stuck in the middle. My front tire is one of the tiny ones on the Vulcans, 80/90-21

7425_614835323312_39112443_35368074_3442856_n.jpg

Yes, you can see where the "line around the tire" dips in toward the rim. That indicates it isn't seated right. I always eyeball check that all the way around on both sides, whether it's me or somebody else mounting the tire. I've seen it too many times.

edit: Squirt some water or soapy water on there and hit it with the rubber mallet. That might do it. Although you might have to let all the air out to get it to cooperate.

Edited by ReconRat

Yes, you can see where the "line around the tire" dips in toward the rim. That indicates it isn't seated right. I always eyeball check that all the way around on both sides, whether it's me or somebody else mounting the tire. I've seen it too many times.

What's need to fix it correctly? I imagine it requires taking the tire off completely and putting it back on correctly? Also I'm confused because the tire says TubeLess on it but the service manual shows a tube (and now I remember when they put the tire on putting a tube in it)

I'll take it to IP, I wish I could blame someone for this (state 8), but it's probably 100% my fault, flat tire overnight, noone to blame but myself.

Well, if it's tube tire, you have to be careful not to pinch the tube between the rim and tire. You avoid that by putting a small amount of air in the tube before pushing it into the tire. I can't imagine your tube lost all air.

Also common is the thick part of the tube, where the air nozzle is located, getting stuck under the tire bead, instead of inside the bead. That will force the tire inward also. So there are two things you have to watch for, when getting a tube tire mounted up and nice and round.

I did an edit up there, I'd try letting a bunch of air out, using a tire mounting lube (soapy water), and beat on it again with the rubber mallet. Recheck all around after setting correct tire pressure. Maybe hose the tire down with water when done, and look for leak bubbles, just to make sure.

edited: thick part of tube pushes the tire inward, not outward. Same visible condition.

Edited by ReconRat
error

Well, if it's tube tire, you have to be careful not to pinch the tube between the rim and tire. You avoid that by putting a small amount of air in the tube before pushing it into the tire. I can't imagine your tube lost all air.

Also common is the thick part of the tube, where the air nozzle is located, getting stuck under the tire bead, instead of inside the bead. That will force the tire inward also. So there are two things you have to watch for, when getting a tube tire mounted up and nice and round.

I did an edit up there, I'd try letting a bunch of air out, using a tire mounting lube (soapy water), and beat on it again with the rubber mallet. Recheck all around after setting correct tire pressure. Maybe hose the tire down with water when done, and look for leak bubbles, just to make sure.

edited: thick part of tube pushes the tire inward, not outward. Same visible condition.

Tried ... it's not budging.... I'm going to wait for an expert to be here... a 15$ tube and valve is better than needing 200 for a tire mounting and etc.

Edited by Likwid

Ok. I know that a couple of times, I had to really work at it to get one right. Even taking the tube out and putting it back in again. Even replacing damaged tubes after I messed up, learning the hard way. I still do tube tires on the front lawn, I can't resist the trauma of the challenge. And yes, many times it would have been cheaper to have a motorcycle tire shop do it for me.

Replacing tube and valve when open is always a good idea. Especially on the front tire.

Ok. I know that a couple of times, I had to really work at it to get one right. Even taking the tube out and putting it back in again. Even replacing damaged tubes after I messed up, learning the hard way. I still do tube tires on the front lawn, I can't resist the trauma of the challenge. And yes, many times it would have been cheaper to have a motorcycle tire shop do it for me.

Replacing tube and valve when open is always a good idea. Especially on the front tire.

*loud sigh* I'm about to go out there and hit the tire with a baseball bat!

This supremely pisses me off.... why does this crap have to be so difficult?!? I had to take the car to a shop yesterday to have them repair a rim leak... what's up with my luck lately? :(

I tell you what, it's a good thing you made the dropoff to Kosmo... he really saved your ass. The people at the M&G wanting the free shit you promised them were like rabid monkeys.

Yah I was scared of getting into a "chicken wing" situation.

I tried working on the tire but I can't seem to get the bead lined up :( Gonna take the wheel off and take it to a professional... not sure when IP gets back in town.

Hey, Likwid......feel bad that you couldn't make it. Your stuff is taken care of. I have handed over everything except the pack for Mr. Parks...4 Daivi...it's with me an I have few patches....rest all is gone.

Flounder.....your stuff is with Ben & Carrie

Pedro's stuff is with jagr....oh shit....we already spoke....

rest all good.......good times as usual just expected a better turn out but well day after the game night.....understandable and AMA at Mid Ohio

Yah I was scared of getting into a "chicken wing" situation.

I tried working on the tire but I can't seem to get the bead lined up :( Gonna take the wheel off and take it to a professional... not sure when IP gets back in town.

Proabably not a bad idea, on sending the stuff, and getting someone to take care of youe tire. Hurry with getting it fixed, the season is gonna be over before you know it!

Hey, Likwid......feel bad that you couldn't make it. Your stuff is taken care of. I have handed over everything except the pack for Mr. Parks...4 Daivi...it's with me an I have few patches....rest all is gone.

Flounder.....your stuff is with Ben & Carrie

Pedro's stuff is with jagr....oh shit....we already spoke....

rest all good.......good times as usual just expected a better turn out but well day after the game night.....understandable and AMA at Mid Ohio

What about my stuff? :/