Winter riding...

alab32

This will be my first fall/winter in Ohio so... How late in the year can you usually ride around here? Im from NY so, it gets a little bit more snow that here so im not sure when we have to stop riding. I am hoping to hear "well, you can ride year round its just a little cold" But i dont forsee that being the case. Thanks for the help guys.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be my first fall/winter in Ohio so... How late in the year can you usually ride around here? Im from NY so, it gets a little bit more snow that here so im not sure when we have to stop riding. I am hoping to hear "well, you can ride year round its just a little cold" But i dont forsee that being the case. Thanks for the help guys.

If you want to ride year around. Try Arizona...or Cali. Best bet lol. In Ohio...it will start getting cold in October. And the way the summer's been, (pretty cool) i look for it to be...rather cold. But who knows, maybe...we'll get lucky.

If you want to ride year around. Try Arizona...or Cali. Best bet lol. In Ohio...it will start getting cold in October. And the way the summer's been, (pretty cool) i look for it to be...rather cold. But who knows, maybe...we'll get lucky.

Lol... i knew it wouldnt be year round but, that would be nice huh? How cold does it get in oct/nov? In NY, as long as it wasnt snowing i would still ride in Nov. We will see I guess. Thanks for the reply.

I ride year round. If it gets above 40 and there is no snow/ice on the roads I take it out for a spin!

I'm planning to keep riding until it's no longer safe (Ice scares the crap out of me!) or until it's too cold for my gear to keep me from freezing, whichever comes first. I'm not sure how the gear will do with keeping me warm, but the insulated liner's seem to be really good in the jacket and the pants!

whats going on ny is moving to ohio I moved here last year from ny where around ny are you from snow not that bad here

I've found that in Ohio you can ride year round as long as the roads are dry. Once you get to Jan/ Feb, though, you're going to be layered pretty heavily and probably riding for short durations at a time.

Half an hour, hot food/ coffee, half an hour, more coffee, half an hour, etc...

Works for me, anyway. +1 on the heated grips. Good stuff, and not terribly expensive either.

whats going on ny is moving to ohio I moved here last year from ny where around ny are you from snow not that bad here

Im prior military so, moving is pretty normal. The wife is stationed at WP so I moved there now. I am from Rome NY, right near Syracuse. Where were you from?

ditto Max Power, when the salt hits the roads. It will destroy a motorcycle.

And around here, we use brine liquid on the roads, long before using serious salt and sand.

The brine is hard to spot, but when it's put down on the roads, I'll stop riding.

In the late Winter or early Spring, a couple of real hard rains are needed to remove the salt. Then it's time to ride again.

I'd like to have a beater motard bike, to ride all winter.

Studded snow tires would be nice.