what size bike to get

rick37

As some of you know I have a honda spirit 1100, I really want to get a sport bike which size should I start with, Not knowing really the difference in riding cruiser and riding a sport bike i.e handling,acceleration,.

I have been looking at kawasaki ninja 600 and 1000 also a katana 600.

thanks in advance for any comment (good or bad)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol get a 600, if its not "enough" bike for you, you're not riding it the way it was meant to be ridden. I smoke 1200 sportsters in 1st gear all day long and same with softails, fatboys, shadows, etc... Any of the common sportbikes are going to handle great compared to a cruiser and unless you start taking track day lessons, I don't think you'll notice a difference between the models, just that you can carve way better through turns than you could with a cruiser. I wouldn't get a katana, just because they're not fuel injected from what I remember and if you ever want to sell it you might have a hard time getting rid of it.

As some of you know I have a honda spirit 1100, I really want to get a sport bike which size should I start with, Not knowing really the difference in riding cruiser and riding a sport bike i.e handling,acceleration,.

I have been looking at kawasaki ninja 600 and 1000 also a katana 600.

thanks in advance for any comment (good or bad)

Talk about all over the board...

Let me ask you this, why do you want a sportbike? The answer to this question will determine whether you go the Katana (sport touring) or the Ninja (sportbike/supersport) route.

Talk about all over the board...

Let me ask you this, why do you want a sportbike? The answer to this question will determine whether you go the Katana (sport touring) or the Ninja (sportbike/supersport) route.

I thought whether he ever wants to go on a Coshocton ride would determine whether he wanted a Katana or not?

I thought whether he ever wants to go on a Coshocton ride would determine whether he wanted a Katana or not?

Yea I don't think I want the katana and go to cashoton if I remember right they do not come out the same way they went in.

I have seen a few of the bikes I want at integrity cycles and almost ready to commit,but I do have all winter to get one.

On the down low from the wife-Good thing I have 2 garages

Yea I don't think I want the katana and go to cashoton if I remember right they do not come out the same way they went in.

I have seen a few of the bikes I want at integrity cycles and almost ready to commit,but I do have all winter to get one.

On the down low from the wife-Good thing I have 2 garages

Seriously though, Katana's are OK bikes from what I've heard, I just prefer to have liquid cooled, myself. I'm sure it's more of just a personal preference thing than anything.

I like anything around 3 times my own body weight.

That handles well for me. Less weight handles faster.

Fuel injection, if you're looking for state-of-the-art.

High compression bike, if you want high power to weight ratio.

Really, you need to sit on them to find your comfort zone.

Coming from a cruiser, you might even want to go with a sport-touring bike.

Other than that, will you be comfortable starting out on a bike that can do sub 12 second in the quarter mile? You'll have to be cautious about where and when you use max wide open throttle. And be aware that the front wheel comes up easily on the higher horsepower/weight ratio bikes.

I have a cruiser and a Kat 600. I got the Kat as my first sportbike becuase it was available, affordable and in great shape. THis bike will not set any land speed records, but it is comfortable and kinda "peppy". Drawbacks are it is air cooled and has carbs. The bikes with injection just start it up and leave. The Kat takes a few moments to warm up. Depending on your age, might be cheaper insure a Kat compared to a liter bike.

no katanas we chew em up and spit em out here in ctown and i know you wana ride with us again rick so pick somthing else, I may be talked into selling mine :).

I was never really into suzuki's but I rode a girls 750 gixxer ,who is on the board here, a coulpe weeks ago and kinda liked it . anybody tells her I liked it Ill deny it ! didnt get a chance to really run it hard but it was nice you should look at a few of those