Beginning Rider Needs A Mentor

JaysonL

So I'm an almost 18 y/o new rider (gotta wait till February), don't have a bike yet, but I'm working my a** off to save up for one. I plan to take the MSF course near where I live and hopefully, when I'm ready, buy a bike. However it would be nice to connect with and have a sort of "mentor" or "senior" biker to help me along with the process as I only know what I do from research I have done on this site and else-where.

What I'm wondering is if there are any riders in the Northeast area (I live in Orange, just north of Solon) that would be willing to maybe connect, meet up, and lend me some advice and guidance through the process.

One thing I'm most concerned about is that being as I work 30hrs/wk for minimum wage (comes out to about $6.50 after taxes), I don't want to be buying a smaller bike and quickly moving up as I won't have the funds or ability to do so. Therefore, I'm looking to get a 600, maybe leaning toward a used katana? Therefore, I would really like someone with more than enough riding experience to show me the ropes and help me out.

If anyone does want to shoot me a post or private message. Oh and if you prefer real email you can reach me at jaysonlesyk@yahoo.com

Thanks all!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great idea..I'm sure there are plenty of people up there that will help... What is your price range if you don't mind me asking? I would try and not get a katana if at all possible, but thats just me... A lot of people will say "don't start on a 600 you will kill yourself, bla bla" I started on a 1000 and never wrecked... I'm not saying that was ideal, but if you want a 600 get one....I would reccomend like a 2001 or 2002 r6... I've seen a few of them going for around 2500 - 3000 bucks, and they are a lot lighter and more agile than a katana....

The MSF course is a great idea...

I'm sure someone for the NE will chime in and be able to help...I would absolutely take that person with you when buying your first bike so you don't get raped!

Welcome aboard! Good on ya for stepping up and asking for some help. Believe me, I don't think anyone here thinks they are done learning aspects of riding, so we all learn from one another. Keep working hard and when riding season gets here, we'll bring ya along on some of our little jaunts around here. There are some great guys and gals on this board, but I'm sure you'll see that soon enough.

A 600 is a good place to start, and something that is common. That way if(when) gravity takes over, replacment parts are easy and cheap to find.

honestly, starter bikes hold their value well. people are always getting into motorcycling. im glad i stuck it out and rode a 250 for a year, and when i jumped to the 600, i wasnt so worried about wrecking all the time. the ninja 250 is a little on the extreme side of beginner bikes though so heres some more flexible options. theres the GSF500 from suzuki, the ninja 500 from kawasaki, the sv650 is another good one. i would advise to not limit yourself to looking at the typical 600cc race bike as your first machine.

honestly, starter bikes hold their value well. people are always getting into motorcycling. im glad i stuck it out and rode a 250 for a year, and when i jumped to the 600, i wasnt so worried about wrecking all the time. the ninja 250 is a little on the extreme side of beginner bikes though so heres some more flexible options. theres the GSF500 from suzuki, the ninja 500 from kawasaki, the sv650 is another good one. i would advise to not limit yourself to looking at the typical 600cc race bike as your first machine.

yeeaaah, I bought a shitty 87 kawi ex500 for $800ish. I'm pretty happy with how that went. I dropped it a few times, didn't do much damage bc the bike was already not pretty, but when I felt more confident got a better bike. If you can find a decent crappy bike to learn on, you could probably sell it without too much of a loss when you're ready to buy your nice bike....