Beginning Rider Needs A Mentor

JaysonL

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey thanks guys. So ya, I'm starting to get the feeling that Katanas aren't too welcome 'round where I am. Regardless, I've also got a lot of support for Katanas in general from other larger forums such as Sportbikes.net.

Either way, I am looking for a good deal and hoping to buy something soon before riding season starts when things warm up along with increased prices.

Only problem with a 250r is I don't really watn a relatively new bike.

I am worried that I could, and (unfortunately) probably will at least once, drop my bike.

If anyone knows anyone selling a 250r or 500r within Ohio or the surrounding areas I'd be real appreciative.

Oh and to Kosmo: South Euclid is actually 10, 15 minutes away from my house at most. You'd probably be the closest so far. If you'd be willing to grab a bite to eat and just help talk things over with me, or maybe give me a run down on buying a bike I'd be so very grateful. If not, that's alright, if you have any friends that'd be willing to help me out then that'd be just as valuable.

this is just my opinion, but the EX500 is a fantastic bike to ride in any situation.

the SV650 (and S model) would be great as well.

stick to a fuel injected low displacement V twin. they hold their value very well, they have enough "oomph" to keep you happy, and get great gas mileage. the SV650 is a particularly great handling bike.

Hey thanks guys. So ya, I'm starting to get the feeling that Katanas aren't too welcome 'round where I am. Regardless, I've also got a lot of support for Katanas in general from other larger forums such as Sportbikes.net.

Hay guys, I think he just dissed us :p

+2 to the SV650 recommendations. Much lighter than a Katana and parts are everywhere. Kanotunas aren't bad bikes . . . well yeah they're kinda bad bikes...

oh hey jbot.

ya everyones been mentioning the sv650.... althoguh it definitely doesn't have ALL the cosmetic qualities I'm looking for I'm definitely level headed enoguh to listen to everyones advice if the bike really is as good as they're repping it to be.

Oh and to Kosmo: South Euclid is actually 10, 15 minutes away from my house at most. You'd probably be the closest so far. If you'd be willing to grab a bite to eat and just help talk things over with me, or maybe give me a run down on buying a bike I'd be so very grateful. If not, that's alright, if you have any friends that'd be willing to help me out then that'd be just as valuable.

Hey any time man....I am sending you a PM

And the trap is set......:D

The Katana is a fine starter bike, just dont ride it in Coshocton

Only problem with a 250r is I don't really watn a relatively new bike.

I am worried that I could, and (unfortunately) probably will at least once, drop my bike.

If anyone knows anyone selling a 250r or 500r within Ohio or the surrounding areas I'd be real appreciative.

ok i know youre new and all, but heres a few things.

-theyve been making the 250 for a lot longer than last year when they redid the fairings. not saying you should buy one, but they come cheap if you get the older ones, fyi.

-i dropped my 250 the first day i had it. it happens. dont sweat it too much, just make sure youre geared up. the cost of the bike is the bike+gear.

-craigslist.com is like the best resource for finding used bikes, unless that is you absolutely want that warm fuzzy dealer feeling. but since you found ohio riders, ill bet you have enough intestinal fortitude to find a good deal on C-list :)

-the SV650s is a nice looking bike with full fairings. im guessing when you made the comment about it being the ugly duckling, you mustve been looking at the non-fairing version. heres a pic for your pleasure.

4136220_1.jpg

JRMMiii, you're out of luck man! No sister and my mom and dad are goin strong.

My grandma's single though if you're interested?! haha ;P

So, in reference to my comment on the looks of the sv650s....

I was looking at the newer bikes, and maybe I'm just being picky but they don't immediately catch my eye. They just don't seem to look like a pure performance street machine.... although maybe I'm just bein' picky!

Either way, I'm seriously looking at used ninjas (250r and/or the 500r) and sv650s in and around oh.

One more thing i'm concerned with is insurance. Anyone have any general estimates (or just name what you pay monthly/yearly, your bike, age, tickets, blah blah blah) so i can get a better idea. thanks