Beginning Rider Needs A Mentor

JaysonL

I would tell you to not get hung up on the looks of the SV. As you can see by the kinds of bikes owned by those recommending it, the people around you who know bikes know its a smart bike. And looking smart is 1000 times better than looking cool. Not that you are in it simply for looks, but I think you get my meaning. (Though you were looking at a Can-a-tuna, and those are ugly as home made sin.) Anyway, The SV would be a solid mount to begin with (as has been stated ad nauseum) and cheap to maintain.

As far as insurance, that's like asking what one's favorite condom is. We all hate having it around, but you need to find one that fits you best. (JRMMiii uses a diaphragm for his mangina, just so you know.) I have State Farm, and though I am twice your age, I pay ~$20 a month for full coverage, $250 deductable on my RC. State Farm classes bikes (at the moment) simply by displacement. Other companies, such as Progressive, will pigeon hole you based on the style. Not that its bad, but its the busienss. (Ask Likwid.)

Regardless of who you chose to insure yourself with, go take the MSF. You will never regret doing so.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the looks shouldnt matter too much for your first bike since, per your own post, you're going to drop it a couple times while you're learning to ride it.

if it were me, i'd get the sv650 naked with a small windscreen.

First off welcome to the site.

My suggestion for a bike would be, go out sit on some beginner type bikes and see what's most comfortable for you. Ride a couple if you can and keep an open mind. There is something out there for everybody.

Along the lines of a mentor. Right now I'm healing up from shoulder surgery and not riding very much. Basically parked for the season. I do plan on going for a little ride Saturday to see how it feels. If it's good Sunday I might ride out to Deerfield to meet up with some friends for an early lunch.

Either way I would be more than happy to give you what little advise I have and help you get to know your machine once you get one. Really the best thing for you is the MSF and plenty of seat time riding your own pace. There are some good books to read over the winter like Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough. It will guide you in some of the best ways to go about learning your machine and the situations and hazards you might come across on your rides. Of course nothing teaches you like being in those situations.

If you want to get together some time and BS or have me give you my opinion on a particular bike shoot me a PM for my # and we can get together.

Good Luck finding your bike and enjoy the ride!

Holy shit, the newbie actually included both M's and the triple 'i's in my name when he addressed me.

You're alright kid, regardless of what RVTPilot has said about you in all those PMs.

And to address your insurance question...

When I insured my Hayabusa, and added my SV1000 to it.... my premium increased $15/yr. So, I'm gonna go ahead and say the SV650 would be even cheaper, and if you plan on just getting liability, then I would guess that

< 1000cc engine size

plus "standard bike" (i.e. not considered a 'sport bike' by insurance companies like the R6, GSXR600, CBR600RR, or ZX-6R)

plus liability only

Even with your age, you should have a premium < $200/yr or thereabouts.

I'm with Progressive.

Edited by JRMMiii

well if you go for something sporty like jrmm said, ur gonna be paying big bucks. at age 23, with all my one ticket beign cleaned in a month, if i just got insurance for my 600 with no car on the policy, everyone was wanting like 600+ per year with just liability.

with my 250, when i was 21, my rate without any car tied to the policy was much cheaper, i think in the 200 dollar range. i also go to college and took the msf course, both of which will help your rates. hell, i think butterflies even help your rates with allstate :D

wow. you guys really are alright after all!

ya, it seems within the day i've gone from katana to ninja to sv650....

so, i'm still just in the extensive research and learning stage and i've got time before it warms up and i can take the MSF course.

I'm pleasantly surprised that insurance isn't too outrageous adn won't be taking $100 out of my pocket every month.

What do you guys say about bikes that have been laid down or dropped at low speeds once or twice?! I worry that there might be hidden or unknown body damage that might effect the bike in the long run or at least start to act up after i buy it. What can i do to make sure that there aren't any mysteriously out-of-sight problems waiting for me after I buy?!

AND

Just for the hell of debate and argument....

Let's hear everyone's rantings on gear. (Keep in mind I'm trying to make my total budget for bike+gear when it's all said and done at or below about $4000, and even that's a little stretch)

So come on, let's hear the conflicting opinions! ;P

Let's hear everyone's rantings on gear. (Keep in mind I'm trying to make my total budget for bike+gear when it's all said and done at or below about $4000, and even that's a little stretch)

For your sake edit your post and never bring this up again...

Get ready for some:beathorse:

My first bike had been laid down at low speeds. I had to put a few new parts into it to make it operable - buuut I bought it from someone I knew, so I knew that it still was in good working condition.

As far as gear, I got all my gear on clearance. Jacket, helmet, gloves, for less than $200... I did that bc I didn't want to dish out a ton of money, then find out that I sucked at riding (shutup jrm :D) but now I'm looking for new helmet and gloves, so maybe I shoulda bought quality in the first place... ?

Wasn't there a guy in they Cincy area that was offering to teach guys how to ride?

And to answer your last question, ATGATT.

Where's QwikZX9R dude, or whatever the hell his name was? He could kill two birds with one stone here and teach the young lad how to ride so well he won't need full gear. Young master Jayson will be dragging a knee in cargo shorts by Memorial Day!

AGATMFT!

I'm pretty confident...that if you show up to a ride with us...not wearing a helmet...people will shoot you looks, and not want to ride with you. Pretty simple. Gear does it's job. Not saying you need race leather's, especially with your experience (shouldn't be going that fast anyway) Helmet, jacket, gloves, good riding pants (1000rider) knows of jeans with knee pucks. Also, a good pair of footwear. No flip flops.

Good luck with everything, and +1 to what everyone else has said. Get gear, and wear it. Chances are it will save your life.

you should ALWAYS form your bike budget with buying gear in mind if you're a new rider.

at minimum, you should have:

full face helmet

padded and armored leather gloves (gauntlet type is preferred)

jacket with padding (leather is preferred)

boots that go up past your ankles... riding boots are better.

jeans

I'd also suggest wearing underwear for all those "OH FUCKING SHIT!" moments you'll have.

those are just my opinions on gear necessities. you can do whatever you want. you're old enough to buy and ride a bike, and i'm not your mommy, so i won't tell you what to do.

plenty of gear on clearance at iron pony, or bike stores online. newenough is a popular one. if you do your research and know what you want, you can score some deals on ebay. personally, i'd just get on the WERA board and just buy some used gear for cheap.

this all also depends on what kind of riding you plan to get into. are you gonna go to starbucks and back? are you going to the track? back roads? stunting? motorboating?

if you KNOW you're going to do trackdays, just pass go and buy a used set of 2pc leathers. then you'll have a jacket for casual riding, and zip on pants for when you do some back roads or track.

Where's QwikZX9R dude, or whatever the hell his name was? He could kill two birds with one stone here and teach the young lad how to ride so well he won't need full gear. Young master Jayson will be dragging a knee in cargo shorts by Memorial Day!

AGATMFT!

Wasn't talking about him, but that made me giggle.:D

I'm pretty confident...that if you show up to a ride with us...not wearing a helmet...people will shoot you looks, and not want to ride with you. Pretty simple. Gear does it's job. Not saying you need race leather's, especially with your experience (shouldn't be going that fast anyway) Helmet, jacket, gloves, good riding pants (1000rider) knows of jeans with knee pucks. Also, a good pair of footwear. No flip flops.

Good luck with everything, and +1 to what everyone else has said. Get gear, and wear it. Chances are it will save your life.

I'm one of those that wont ride with someone who shows up without gear.;)

wow. you guys really are alright after all!

What do you guys say about bikes that have been laid down or dropped at low speeds once or twice?! I worry that there might be hidden or unknown body damage that might effect the bike in the long run or at least start to act up after i buy it. What can i do to make sure that there aren't any mysteriously out-of-sight problems waiting for me after I buy?!

i have nothing to do most of the time, 1000rr guy is unemployed, and everyone else does just as little at work but they get paid...yes, we are all right arent we :D

i wouldnt worry about bikes being laid down. theres a thread somewhere recently where a guy was askign about used bike buying tips. i think its in the tech questions forum, i recommend you read that. i laid my 250 down pretty good, it ran fine for a whole season and then i sold it. my R6 has been tipped over by vandals (including mother nature) and its *mostly* ok, as in nothing is seriously wrong. if the guy youre buying from rides it every day and its not safe, well hes a retard. most people wont knowingly ride an unsafe bike, so you have that going for you. also, a lot of people are anal and a half about their bikes anyways, often times these are the very people you see selling bikes on this forum, and occasionally you find them on craigslist. oh and after youve taken the msf course, if something is REALLY wrong (as in like bent forks or w/e), youll know within minutes of riding it.

Edited by Benyen Soljax

Thank Benyen Soljax. That really calmed down my second greatest worry (the first being buying a bike NOT suited for me).

Speaking of which, I forget who mentioned it a few pages back, but, a question was directed at me as to what I intend to use the bike for:

Well, it'll probably share the job of my main transportation to and from school (requires 20+ miles of highway driving one way), although I don't wanna put too many excessive miles on the bike, and it will definitely be used as a joy ride. I don't even wanna think about getting on a track, dragging it, or having any less than both wheels on the ground for awhile. At this point I want a a bike that's not too much to handle as I learn, but, will still have enough power to scare me shitless when I wanna have fun on the twisties in my area.

Hopefully that gives everyone a better idea of my itentions.