Random Thoughts thread

SAMBUSA

2 hours ago, frosky said:

A good buddy of mine's father works at a Chevy dealer. It is delivered to the dealership without all the body work. A shop mechanic gets the privelage of drilling into the body of a $100k car!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

As a GM dealership technician I can say that is (somewhat) BS.  Some (very few) cars have optional body accents, ground effects, spoilers, etc. that get installed at the dealership.  The 2016 Corvette has "rocker panel moldings" "Front lower spoiler" and "rear spoiler" options that would be dealer installed. The rocker moldings do require drilling, but it looks like some of the holes are there from the factory, making fitment a factory issue, the dealership tech just finishes with the remaining holes.

My brother knows a gas station clerk who is friends with the aunt of the tour manager for AC/DC and I have it on good authority that you've been... Thunderstruck.

GTFO here with that nonsense, assembling new cars at the dealership.

You're right. I made that up in order to sound like a was in the know. Just trying to impress the good people of OR on my 3rd post. [emoji108]

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Idiot said:

if it looks that bad in person (just cause I've seen photos do some weird things to shiney things) then I'm actually surprised the dealership hasn't sent it back to the factory

I'm guessing it's a fiberglass door and poorly finished fiberglass not actually the paint. I don't really know but it reminds me of cheap aftermarket fiberglass you would get for a quad or something. 

20 minutes ago, Gump said:

I'm guessing it's a fiberglass door and poorly finished fiberglass not actually the paint. I don't really know but it reminds me of cheap aftermarket fiberglass you would get for a quad or something. 

Usually a combination of both.  It actually settles down after a few months, from what I've seen on them.  Still, less than ideal for a new higher-end car.

4 minutes ago, jporter12 said:

Cadillac?  BMW?

Chevy Colorado with the Duramax 2.8. They put a liquid filled pulley on it to dampen the diesel pulses. I thought at first na that can't be it, alternators don't leak but yep that's it.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Wojo72 said:

That sucks because it takes me another 10 minutes to get to work due to soccer moms and school busses. :(

Shit thanks for the reminder. Gotta set the alarm earlier again since my route to the highway is 10 mins longer for the same reason 

8 hours ago, Wojo72 said:

That sucks because it takes me another 10 minutes to get to work due to soccer moms and school busses. :(

More like I go back in a few weeks...

Physics this semester, More math...ugh.

Then Chem 1 and 2 then Bio 1.

25 minutes ago, snot said:

More like I go back in a few weeks...

Physics this semester, More math...ugh.

Then Chem 1 and 2 then Bio 1.

ahh I remember the days the wife went through all that, thank God that over with..LOL..many a cruse word that came from her study corner

16 hours ago, bowdog said:

My exhaust fluid is low right now...got to love these new vehicles with all the emissions bull shit.

The trend to diesel cars is in motion. But Hopefully more fueling stations will be more accommodating in the coming years.   You ever tried to buy/pump def fluid at a truck stop? Complete mess. They're always broke or need a magnetic release to work and the big truck stops don't take normal debit/credit cards and you end up going in and out of the store 4 times and needing assistance as well as the employees are ungodly slow. I gave up on that fiasco and buy it at an auto parts store now and store it in my garage. 

17 hours ago, Gump said:

Chevy Colorado with the Duramax 2.8. They put a liquid filled pulley on it to dampen the diesel pulses. I thought at first na that can't be it, alternators don't leak but yep that's it.

I did not realize they did that!  It wasn't covered in the New engines training I took.  Oh well.

I don't see any bulletins, either.  Interesting.  We don't usually see many Chevy trucks at the Cadillac dealership anyway.

Edited by jporter12

Your indoor humidity may be to high when...

The last, hard dried out handful of raisins in the container are moist and sticky again.

That's cute. I work at a paper/box mill, we have steam showers and heat vessels all over my machine. This bottle of water was not chilled or refrigerated. It was sitting beside my lunch pail in a room that was airconditioned to about 75 deg. I brought it out to my work area and after 5 min it looked like this. Humidity is high in here year round but this time of year it rains from the roof rafters some times.
22f18dedbc87646633eef436d50a0d68.jpg

3 hours ago, Gump said:

The trend to diesel cars is in motion. But Hopefully more fueling stations will be more accommodating in the coming years.   You ever tried to buy/pump def fluid at a truck stop? Complete mess. They're always broke or need a magnetic release to work and the big truck stops don't take normal debit/credit cards and you end up going in and out of the store 4 times and needing assistance as well as the employees are ungodly slow. I gave up on that fiasco and buy it at an auto parts store now and store it in my garage. 

Yea i have played that game as well, I do the same now and just buy blue Def from advanced and keep couple extra boxes in the garage.

4 hours ago, jporter12 said:

I did not realize they did that!  It wasn't covered in the New engines training I took.  Oh well.

I don't see any bulletins, either.  Interesting.  We don't usually see many Chevy trucks at the Cadillac dealership anyway.

according to this dealer the tool needed to replace this fancy pulley isn't even available to the dealers yet to order....Of course the new alternator they ordered was dropped by fedex and the pulley was smashed so, I'm waiting another day to get my truck fixed. 

I've had nothing but luck with my GM products. The old 07 impala that we still have has 190k miles and I've never touched the engine or tranny. When I mean never I mean plugs, wires, belts, hoses, trans fluid and filter are all orginial. I've changed oil and flushed the coolant once. Couple nickel and dime things I've fixed elsewhere on the car and a muffler other than that just the ussual brakes tires and battery have been the only maint. cost. In the 7 years we've owned it, it has been the cheapest car to maintain I've ever owned. Even my Tahoe has 150k miles and other than a dent I put in the door it's physically and mechanically perfect. Hopefully my good luck keeps on flow'n.