Random Thoughts thread

SAMBUSA

I got some middle fingers when I passed about 20 of them in one shot last summer.  Wasn't trying to follow a 50mph (in the straight) formation ride for 30 miles.  I've had them try to fend me off before, nearly wrecking in the process.  I actually just stopped for a cigarette break on one lone rider.  I seriously thought that he was going to crash trying to keep me from passing. What is it?  Pride?  Dude, once I'm passed you, I will be out of your sight in seconds.  Some cars do this also...25 in the curves, 65 on the straights.

33 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Some riders do that "slow in the corners and fuckin' race bike! in the straights" bullshit.

This is a struggle for those of us that ride small bikes that can't go that fast in the straights.  I don't NEED a bike that will go that fast in a straight line to smoke your ass in the corners.  If you're holding me up, GTFO of my way!  This is one of the few reasons that I'd like to have a bigger bike.  

• Upvote 1

I try, I really do try to be an "upstanding" sport rider.  I do not want to further the "ninja bike squid" opinion.  I have waited for miles on some pretty twisty routes down Marietta way.  I did run across this Fedex van one day...impressive!  This fella was either hell bent on making his next rural delivery, or had a problem with letting a motorcycle pass him.  Finally got an opportunity and went past him with the front wheel up and a little salute for him.  Take a day off work, ride 60 miles just to get to the stuff you want, and then have some jackwagon messing with your ride...not cool.  The lone HD rider would have tried to keep up/catch me if I'd passed him I'm sure.  That's why I just decided to take a break and let him ride his own ride.

The worst part about it,  is that I am not fast by my own, or by more experienced/talented riders standards.  I'm average at best and these folks are still holding me up.  Must be the shoes?  I've only ever been on two rides with more than 3 people and someone went down on one of them.  I am perpetually solo when riding, so it's just me needing to get around.  Most times I am on blind hill/curve roads.  I am very hesitant to "dick-pass" due to the danger for myself and the driver of the whatever and again, try to observe respectable behavior as to not tarnish the "sport" further.

Yup, had to quit carrying in my truck.  What I see as improving the gene pool, and opening up parking spaces, the Law sees as murder?

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

Surprisingly, I have been experiencing the opposite recently. I have had cars and bikes pull over or wave me around them several times in the last couple weeks. I always give a courtesy wave back and give them plenty of room. 

This weekend I had a surprising number of Harley guys wave me around. That's why I followed the group I referenced above for a few miles before I passed...I was waiting for a sign to pass.Even when I did pass they didn't try to block me,which happens way to often when passing groups of Harleys.

Like RCBS,I really do try to be respectful of other people on the roads,both cars and bikes,especially bikes because I don't know their level of experience and I know their just out enjoying their bike like I am.I ride a little fast,but nothing real fast.I've been passed before,it's no big deal,just wave 'em by and everyone continues on their  ride at their chosen speed.I just don't understand blocking someone or riding over your head to keep them from passing.I'm out there to have fun and explore, I'm not out there to race anybody or prove anything.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

I (in my car) had a driver coming head on in my lane to pass a slow fedex truck on a blind curve last week and when I honked at him, he shrugged like how is this his fault. 

Wasn't me!  Pinky Swear!  The Fedex van I was behind was not travelling slow, but too slow for me on those roads.  Was also last season.

4 minutes ago, drc32-0 said:

This weekend I had a surprising number of Harley guys wave me around. That's why I followed the group I referenced above for a few miles before I passed...I was waiting for a sign to pass.Even when I did pass they didn't try to block me,which happens way to often when passing groups of Harleys.

Like RCBS,I really do try to be respectful of other people on the roads,both cars and bikes,especially bikes because I don't know their level of experience and I know their just out enjoying their bike like I am.I ride a little fast,but nothing real fast.I've been passed before,it's no big deal,just wave 'em by and everyone continues on their  ride at their chosen speed.I just don't understand blocking someone or riding over your head to keep them from passing.I'm out there to have fun and explore, I'm not out there to race anybody or prove anything.

I know right?  If I spot Motorbike headlights coming up behind me, I move to the right side of the lane.  If they don't immediately pass, I motion for them to do so (when a safe opportunity arises).  Who am I to play Gandalf with those faster than me?  If I'm lucky, I can maybe hang behind the faster rider for a mile or two and learn something...usually not though.  Couple corners and they are gone.

• Upvote 1

It is a good damn thing I don't have a motorcycle currently. Today has been one of those days where I would have packed it up and just started riding anywhere and not come back to my life for awhile 

On 9/6/2016 at 0:52 PM, Isaac's Papa said:

I may not have enough room for anybody riding with me to make a pass, but I'm not responsible for anybody but myself. 

It's not like you'd ever do this on purpose right before some good twisties and leave others behind a damn dump truck..... 

1 hour ago, ludwb675 said:

Some days i wish food came in pill form. I just don't feel like eating anything today. 

I wish that was the case for me. This week especially since im downtown for jury duty and have tried a new place every day :lol

32 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Have you tried Karl's Inn at the Barrister?

No. One of the guys was talking about that today but already had plans to meet up with one of my friends at public square. Finally got dismissed today so luckily can go back to work tomorrow 

Had a baby boy on September 2nd, we did not know what we were having so that was an awesome surprise...Been home for a little while and i now see what people mean by you will not sleep anymore...@bad324 I have mad respect for you! I don't think i could handle twins!

1 hour ago, bowdog said:

Had a baby boy on September 2nd, we did not know what we were having so that was an awesome surprise...Been home for a little while and i now see what people mean by you will not sleep anymore...@bad324 I have mad respect for you! I don't think i could handle twins!

Congrats!!!

It's something else for sure. But I have to give my wife most the credit. I've got very little patience and she puts up with most the bullshit. Now at almost 3 months they only wake up once a night usually so it gets better.

Edited by Bad324
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

Thursday cannot get here soon enough. The anxious wait for another motorcycle trip has started.

Me too, although it is just a great ride Thurdsay and an ok one Saturday.  Rest of the time is hanging at a IT security conference.

Where are you headed?

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Me too, although it is just a great ride Thurdsay and an ok one Saturday.  Rest of the time is hanging at a IT security conference.

Where are you headed?

Leaving Thursday For 4 days in Wytheville for the FJR Eastern Owners Meeting. Last time I checked we had 103 guys registered. Probably gonna make a route down through 16.

On September 14, 2016 at 0:22 PM, TimTheAzn said:

It's not like you'd ever do this on purpose right before some good twisties and leave others behind a damn dump truck..... 

It always seems the dump trucks/logging trucks and other micropeen-mobiles (giant diesels) that swerve when trying to pass/get pissed and try to play butt-touch when you get by them. Had one guy do this last year on a ride with Derek and Gasser (I think?) driving a 2x trailer log truck that was fully loaded. Derek got by him and the dude shot up to 100 in the straights, cutting the inside of oncoming lane through blind corners trying to catch him. 

GoPro will be with me and recording on every ride now so when shit heads pull stuff like this, police will become involved.