Random Thoughts thread

SAMBUSA

1 minute ago, TimTheAzn said:

Maybe it's dell. It's one of them. I havent done it in a while because I make someone else on my team do it because its a huge pain in the dick.

Enterprise stuff is always a pain. Consumer computer part RMAs are usually simple.

14 minutes ago, ludwb675 said:

Our IT department just did a mass windows update and now all of the engineers 3D software doesn't work. It upgraded to IE11 in the update and the software doesn't like it. Can't get into our workspace inside the program. NICE!

Dont you test patches before you roll them out? I have a subset of machines I patch the week of patch tuesday to test and then roll them out to the rest of my environment over the course of the next week.

24 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Have you dealt with HP Hard Drive replacement support? :lol:

I actually have years ago multiple times and those hard drives arrived quick, but they had me run through diagnostics that I've already done to confirm that I wasn't just making stuff up, so it was some wasted time, but not too bad.

• Upvote 1

Just now, alienpi said:

I actually have years ago multiple times and those hard drives arrived quick, but they had me run through diagnostics that I've already done to confirm that I wasn't just making stuff up, so it was some wasted time, but not too bad.

Yea thats what bothers me. Mother fuckers I know this drive is bad stop asking me to verify as I've already done this bullshit and send me my new drive!

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Maybe it's dell. It's one of them. I havent done it in a while because I make someone else on my team do it because its a huge pain in the dick.

It's Dell. I've had to do this probably 4-5 times since 2003

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

Dont you test patches before you roll them out? I have a subset of machines I patch the week of patch tuesday to test and then roll them out to the rest of my environment over the course of the next week.

If you had a competent IT department. I don't have admin rights so i couldn't just uninstall IE11 myself. I put a ticket in to get downgraded. 

IT was remoted in for 25 minutes just clicking around trying to figure out how to uninstall IE11. Rebooted twice. Complete joke. IT#1 then had IT#2 remote in as well to show IT#1 how to do it. Another 30 minutes later i have IE10 back and Creo is working as it should. I wish they would just give me admin rights. 

This company is so full of useless brain-dead idiots that I'm surprised we stay in business. 

On 10/14/2016 at 4:19 PM, motocat12 said:

IE isn't your usual uninstall. Mine was a pain trying to wipe it downgrade to 10 then clean upgrade back to 11.

You go to installed programs and uninstall. Then install IE10. They already had IE10 install located on a public drive. It's something any IT personal should be able to do. I would fire that guy if i could. He is obviously useless to the company. 

8 hours ago, ludwb675 said:

You go to installed programs and uninstall. Then install IE10. They already had IE10 install located on a public drive. It's something any IT personal should be able to do. I would fire that guy if i could. He is obviously useless to the company. 

Mine still left remnants under windows features giving "Already installed" or some such error running the new install.

Turn_off_Internet_Explorer_in_Windows_8.

7 minutes ago, what said:

having fun talking to yourself?

i haven't gotten lunch. not sure if i'm going to. it's completely fucking dead at work so i'm browsing the internet finding ways to go broke upgrading the track bike. 

Buy some bigger SD cards for the GoPro!! :lol:

6 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Buy some bigger SD cards for the GoPro!! :lol:

I'll probably pick up a 128 gig card this week. Not going to spring for the 90Mb/s+ write speed ones though, no point since I won't be filming 4k. With a 128 gig card I could have gotten the entire trip and had 6 hours of extra space. 

6 minutes ago, what said:

I'll probably pick up a 128 gig card this week. Not going to spring for the 90Mb/s+ write speed ones though, no point since I won't be filming 4k. With a 128 gig card I could have gotten the entire trip and had 6 hours of extra space. 

:lol: "False neutrals for $100, Alex" 

20 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

:lol: "False neutrals for $100, Alex" 

So I found out it's a relatively common problem with the clutch used in that motor (also an issue on that year's 750 monster). Lots of voodoo, witchcraft and wizardry used in trying to find a solve over the years and the best I could find was "use non-synthetic motor oil" (not sure how this helps with a dry clutch), "use x brand clutch oil" and "wear thick boots like doc martins". 

One person did mention that the stock slave cylinder on the 750 is shitty and replacing it with an aftermarket makes things better. Will look into that a bit. 

My easy-fix for now is to just be more mindful of how I'm shifting. 

Edited by what

Actually made it through to the 'buy now' page for world series tickets 5 minutes after it opened to general public. Everything less than $500/ticket sold out. Yet Stubhub is selling almost 2,000 tickets already at 10x face value. Pretty sure all tickets were pre-sold to brokers and scalpers. 

Edited by ludwb675

Just now, Bad324 said:

Stupid site fucked up and said I was selected almost immediately but then took me back to the waiting room. I wanted SRO tix for the game 6 clincher of another CLE championship

That happened to lots of folks here too.

23 hours ago, what said:

So I found out it's a relatively common problem with the clutch used in that motor (also an issue on that year's 750 monster). Lots of voodoo, witchcraft and wizardry used in trying to find a solve over the years and the best I could find was "use non-synthetic motor oil" (not sure how this helps with a dry clutch), "use x brand clutch oil" and "wear thick boots like doc martins". 

One person did mention that the stock slave cylinder on the 750 is shitty and replacing it with an aftermarket makes things better. Will look into that a bit. 

My easy-fix for now is to just be more mindful of how I'm shifting. 

Not to sound silly but how's your hoses?  I've had a rubber brake line that would noticeably swell when you jammed on the brakes.  After installing a new one I immediately noticed the brakes were noticeably firmer.