Looking for a motorcycle, Need your opinion and advice

BikerBoy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only thing that worries me alot is , the paint, it looks cheap or home spray thing.

Paint is paint. I'd be more worried, about what kind of condition the plastics are in. Like i said, see if he's got current pics, ask about the plastics and any and all questions you can think of.

here is the email that he sent me

" Here's the run down...

I purchased the bike a little over three years ago. from someone in PA. It had a salvage title due to being a theft recovery...everything cosmetically was rough, mechanically it was good though.

The bike was originally blue and white.. Apparently who ever stole it painted it lime green (to disguise it). The kid I bought it from had painted it all flat black but didn't do any of the required repairs to clean it up.

The plastic has numerous scrapes and cracks and a few broken tabs. I've repaired/refitted where most broken tabs were. A couple of cracks could use some attention (one that developed during transport from AZ back to here last summer).

When I first purchased it I stripped it down and replaced/repaired the following:

- Misc missing bolts, screws, brackets (everything was loose)

- Front foot pegs

- the exhaust can

- rear grab handles

- foot shift lever

- rear tail light and signals w/integrated LEdD tail light/signals

- Mirrors

- headlight

- tank lock, seat lock and ignition (now all keyed alike)

- new chain

I had the transmission rebuilt last summer to repair a broken shaft and had the front fork seals/oil replaced while it was in the garage. The engine and tranny are excellent per my mechanic in AZ (Track mechanic/former racer). He did the set-up as well and suggested replacing the rear shock to improve even more.

The tires (Metzeler) have roughly 600 miles on them.

Bottom line is that the plastic is a bit rough, but functional. A coolant leak has developed recently..I'd figured I'd look into it in warmer weather..could just be a bad/loose hose..could be a pin-hole leak somewhere.

As for a time to look at it...whenever works for you...it's parked in my garage. I fired it up over the weekend w/no issues after sitting idle for a month.

"

in another email he told me that the bike now has a clear title " can that be after being salavege ?" Thanks

Uhhh...that just sounds like a laundry list of problems. Cosmetically, and mechanically. Not to mention it's got a salvage title. I don't know BB. I'm not familiar with that. If he fixed everything, and had it inspected...i think they might be able to change the title status from salvage to clear. But...not sure, might want to ask around.

With it being salvage title...there's a big chance it's been wrecked. I would personally pass, but ultimately up to you.

Uhhh...that just sounds like a laundry list of problems. Cosmetically, and mechanically. Not to mention it's got a salvage title. I don't know BB. I'm not familiar with that. If he fixed everything, and had it inspected...i think they might be able to change the title status from salvage to clear. But...not sure, might want to ask around.

With it being salvage title...there's a big chance it's been wrecked. I would personally pass, but ultimately up to you.

^^^what he said

here are a few I found close to your price range that might be worth looking at?

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/1560619317.html

if ya want a fixer upper? http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/1559574988.html

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/1559385602.html

HERE is the sumo you were waiting for nice! http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/1550989740.html

I might go look at the sv myself for a work bike, need something to hump the 60 miles of slab a day I commute. And the summo is my second pick out of these. Has the o.p looked at the seca 2 that is listed in the sale adds here? think it is down to 1100 obo.

http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=38738

Thanks alot guys, and yes chevysoldier, i got your pm, and emailed the guy and waiting to see what's going to happen :D look decent just need the lower fairing :D

the SV650 looks nice too, kinda like the ninja " looks different" but why do you 1000rrrider think he is hiding something ?

kinda like the ninja " looks different" but why do you 1000rrrider think he is hiding something ?

Mainly because of his smartass wording and the way he says he's tired of waiting on people so the first 1000 takes it. It looks pretty queer to me so I doubt people are beating his door down for it and you cant test it at all with bad tranny, water pump and brakes. I also doubt all three of those things went out at once' so he's rode it thru all the problems till it just wasnt rideable anymore so he doesnt take care of it and youll find more probs once you get it running. and did I mention it looks ghey. all previous posts agreed with me too that the SV or the Sumo are the way to go.