Don't use your horn in Whitehall !

SWing'R

Ridiculous. Lady gets a ticket for honking at someone. Plus, it happened on private property by an off duty officer,

well he was on "special duty" at Kroger. I'd be fighting this one if I was this lady.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/01/22/honk.ART_ART_01-22-10_A1_RIGCIG7.html

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without being there...... We have all seen people who just lay on the horn because someone is slowing them down. A toot is one thing but those people who just lay on the horn for minutes at a time are another. This lady MAY very well deserve everything she got.

I agree, she was prolly being an Impatient douche and then got mouthy with the cop. I'm not big on stereotypes but theres alot of trashy peeps in Whitehall.

When someone isn't paying attention at a red light, and doesn't go when it turns green, I give it a few seconds, as I know that not everyone has the same lightning fast reflexes as I, then I give a short blast of the horn. If that doesn't wake them, I'll blast it a little bit longer.

It stinks like a case of a LEO twisting the laws a bit to write a cite, that may or may not be deserved.

I use my horn frequently... How else am I supposed to gain someone's attention before giving them the finger?!!?:D J/K.

Seriously though, a beep or two to wake someone up is fine, but I HATE it when someone is just laying on the horn (unless they mindlessly cut you off whilst texting, eating, drinking, getting/giving head, etc... At this point, you're at liberty to just do what you feel.).

I also don't like it when someone beeps the horn in a residential area to get their friend to come outside... Whatever happened to getting out of the car and walking to the door? If you're in a hurry (or can't park), why not just whip out your trusty mobile telephone and give them a ring?

I also don't like it when someone beeps the horn in a residential area to get their friend to come outside... Whatever happened to getting out of the car and walking to the door? If you're in a hurry (or can't park), why not just whip out your trusty mobile telephone and give them a ring?

:plus1:

Show me where it says that.

Applies to emergency vehicles. Not citizen vehicles.

Dont know the ORC on it Paulie but it was a big deal on the local morning news here channel 10 I think is what we had on and they brought it up in the story along with an interview with sombody from the department ... maybe it was just a Whitehall law but I'm pretty sure they said state law

I've head of two other people who have gotten tickets for this. One here and one in another state (I forget which).

My neighbor (is CPD) also says a horn is only for an emergency and says he's considered writing a ticket to someone just for being an impatient a-hole.

You get no acknowledgment at my house if you honk outside. It is rude, come to the door or call to let us know your on the way. Several people have found this out the hard way.

Show me where it says that.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4513.21

Such equipment shall not be used except when such vehicle is operated in response to an emergency call or is in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law' date=' in which case the driver of the emergency vehicle shall sound such equipment when it is necessary to warn pedestrians and other drivers of the approach thereof.[/b']

Applies to emergency vehicles. Not citizen vehicles.

Applies only to whistles, sirens, and bells. Says nothing about horns.

This will work, if nothing else. Violently honking a horn probably meets all five criteria:

2917.11 Disorderly conduct.

(A) No person shall recklessly cause inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm to another by doing any of the following:

(1) Engaging in fighting, in threatening harm to persons or property, or in violent or turbulent behavior;

(2) Making unreasonable noise or an offensively coarse utterance, gesture, or display or communicating unwarranted and grossly abusive language to any person;

(3) Insulting, taunting, or challenging another, under circumstances in which that conduct is likely to provoke a violent response;

(4) Hindering or preventing the movement of persons on a public street, road, highway, or right-of-way, or to, from, within, or upon public or private property, so as to interfere with the rights of others, and by any act that serves no lawful and reasonable purpose of the offender;

(5) Creating a condition that is physically offensive to persons or that presents a risk of physical harm to persons or property, by any act that serves no lawful and reasonable purpose of the offender.

He twisted nothing. Ohio law says a horn is only to be used in an emergency situation.

Incorrect. Ohio driver's handbook states:

When passing to the left, the law requires that a driver overtaking another

vehicle do these things:

1. Sound the horn to warn the driver of the vehicle being overtaken that he/

she is about to be passed