Which bike? Thoughts....

garysol1

So as many of you know I have been looking for an RC51. I thought I had my mind made up and that was the bike I wanted. I know that the RC's comfort is not the best between the aggressive seating position and the side mount radiators cooking your legs but I was ok with that. I have ridden GSXR's for years and am used to ass high and hands low.

Now I find myself looking at a 05 CBR1000 and think maybe that bike is a better choice for me due to the "plusher" ergo's and smoother ride. I am 44 years old after all and it would be nice to have an all day bike. So......

Pros.....

RC51.....Awesome sound and punchy V twin. You don't see them on every street corner....

CBR1000.....Plush and bigger top end rush. A bike I could see myself riding to Boston for some Lobster and back.

Cons...

RC51.....Harsh ride and uncomfortable. Passenger comfort is non existent and the wife and I may want to 2-up but very infrequently.

CBR....dime a dozen..... Thats the only negative I can come up with...

I am really just thinking out loud here but if anyone has any thoughts......I am all ears.

rc.jpg

cbr.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RC51 if you like riding.

CBR1K if you like soul-less reliability, ridiculous speed and being that "me too" guy.

My opinion. RC. Of course I'm biased, but they are very unique bikes, they are fun to ride, people in the know will sit there and ogle at it when you pull in. They are not that slow. The V-twin power makes the bike lots of fun to power out of the corners. You said two-up would be very infrequent?

Where are you getting your opinions on the harsh ride and lack of comfort on the RC? I've ridden my roommate's bike a bit now and I find it's not bad at all. It's no couch, but the ergos are very close to all of the other supersports. The one weak link is the rock hard seat, but that can be changed easily.

Edited by RSVDon

Bottom line you gotta get what's right for you.

My opinion:

I like unique bikes.

The SP1 and SP2 fit that. They're one of the rare few Japanese bikes with personality. No, they're not the best performing beasts on the planet, but their cool factor more than makes up for that in my book. Besides, it's a lot more fun to ride a slower bike fast, than a faster bike slow. Which is why it's cool to see guys sling around those heavy piggish RC's with guys on I4 literbikes.

To me, the liter bikes will outperform the RC's, but they're so robotic. If you're a strict 'numbers only' guy - then get an I4 liter bike, they handle better, they have more hp, they're also a dime a dozen.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the RC, but like NeverEnough said, get both, you only live once.

Bottom line you gotta get what's right for you.

My opinion:

I like unique bikes.

The SP1 and SP2 fit that. They're one of the rare few Japanese bikes with personality. No, they're not the best performing beasts on the planet, but their cool factor more than makes up for that in my book. Besides, it's a lot more fun to ride a slower bike fast, than a faster bike slow. Which is why it's cool to see guys sling around those heavy piggish RC's with guys on I4 literbikes.

To me, the liter bikes will outperform the RC's, but they're so robotic. If you're a strict 'numbers only' guy - then get an I4 liter bike, they handle better, they have more hp, they're also a dime a dozen.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the RC, but like NeverEnough said, get both, you only live once.

YEZZIR! Or get a really unique bike like aprilla or something... It is just money, you will only make more....

geta triumph! ital be the most fun you ever had with your pants on!

I also had a 955i Daytona. Didn't do much for me. Loved the engine but the chassis was a real let down. Felt like I was coaxing a truck through the turns. I do dig the 675 Daytona though.