GPS Mounting On Bike (what do you use?)

Likwid

I finally had to buy a GPS, I'd been using my phone for so long but ever since TomTom and Garmin shifted their focus to the iPhone WinMo GPS has been sparse. Plus I needed text-to-speech while riding.

What does everyone recommend for GPS mounting? Ram-Mount seems to be the best marketed but I've yet to find someone who actually has one. Ideally I'd like to mount to handlebar or offset from the mirror stem.

Thoughts?

fyi: I got a good deal on a new Nuvi 780 (since MSN services are going away) so if push comes to shove I'll just put it in my pocket with headphones or bluetooth.

I know a few folks just suction cup to their tach, but I don't have a windshield, so ... yah

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got a ram mount with an aqua box in case i get caught in the rain. GPS nuvi 200w, it wonks great, got the wires ran from the battery for power

Any pictures? Their website is a nightmare/

My Dad has a RAM Mount and likes it. I'll either go a DIY route or get the bracket I found on ebay that attaches to the gas cap.

Do you plan on hardwiring power cable or just going on battery life?

I'm planning on battery for a while, the Nuvi 780 was the last one they put a good battery in, so I got 5 hours of usage. I'm debating making a cigarette outlet since my cell phone and the gps use the same mini usb port.

i made my own. cost like 5 bucks or something.

Link, instructions, pictures? Anything? I'd love to try DIY

i bought mine from gpscity.com because of the crappy website. :-) No pics because they where in my last cell phone. I have it mounted to my handle bar, but wish i got the one for the triple tree bolt.....oh well, it works fine though

http://www.gpscity.com/rammounts

i also mounted the cigarette outlet under the seat and ran the power wire along the frame, wish i could have hide it better, but its all good.....only wish i could have the power turn off when the bike is off, i didnt know how to do that so i have to unplug it so it doesnt drain my battery when the bike is not being riden... :-(

Edited by 600ZZ4eb

DSCF1032-1.jpg

( i changed the bolt out since the pic cuz it hit the nut :( )

DSCF1028-1.jpg

a cheap mount off ebay that i took apart for the ball, then scrap angle iron cut to fit around the head stem, then a hole drilled to attach bolt the ball piece from the ebay mount, in the other side of the angle iron.

Edited by 4DAIVI PAI2K5

http://www.ram-mount.com/SearchResults/tabid/38/searchBy/WizardResults/criteria/ignored/Default.aspx

Ram Mount dot com says these two products are specific to your Nav gizmo and your bike.

linky not worky :( I know the 2 things though, the cradle LOOKS like it barely holds onto the GPS... I get worried about that, DIYD might be better, give it an enclosed box basically.

I'm glad you started this Matt. Been thinkin' lately I need to start lookin' for somethin' to mount my TomTom to 'Birdy this summer. Think I want to hook up a cig lighter too, but still need to find out how long a single charge actually lasts

I'm leaning toward this DIY fix.....

duct-tape.jpg

I guess if my Nüvi hasn't popped out of its cradle in my car it won't pop out on a bike. Especially a big' date=' slow, dash light disco, bike.[/quote']

"dash light disco" = my warning lights?

I've got the music too, we can call it heavy metal (chain)... lol

I found a house brand at mountguys. To fit a cheap refurbished TomTom One 130. I couldn't rationalize spending more for a mount than what I paid for the GPS. There is one cheaper, for 14.88, but I got the one for 19.88. I see now that there is another kit that includes a hardwired power supply for a bit more. That was something I didn't consider at the time.

edit: I still like to use my Chinese Asus GPS that transmits instructions on FM from my pocket to my radio and ear buds.

Edited by ReconRat

I just stick mine in the map pocket on top of my tankbag. It makes it harder to use the touchscreen, but I shouldn't be using it while riding anyway. If I need to do something with it, I'll stop and take it out. This way, I know it's not going anywhere, it comes with me when I get off the bike, and the pocket keeps any moisture off of it.