A list of this you need to ride.

Jason31090

Cheap UJM-- $700

Roll of ductape-- < $6

Small portable toolkit-- <$25

Sturdy work boots with thick soles -- $120

That's what I spent to set up my first bike. Insurance was a couple hundred bucks a year. :D

0.Save your money so you can buy the bike AND the following items at once.

1. Insurance. Get a quote on the bike before you commit to buy. Call in before you hand over the money for the bike.

The better the gear the more you will won't mind wearing it. You SHOULD get the gear before the bike. I started with crappy gear and it sucked to wear I almost didn't want to wear it.

2. Helmet: Go try on helmets...then order from sportbiketrackgear.com etc. $250-400

3. Full Leather Jacket---I got my A* for $100, look for good deals. $100-300. Your going to want a Mesh leather and Mesh jacket for the spring/fall too.

4. Gauntlet Gloves...$100...VERY WELL WORTH IT.

5. Boots/shoes. $100- already priced @ local shop.

6. atleast Jeans.

7. Buy the bike.

You don't need to waste money on mods right away....Make sure you get all the safety gear.

First mods: Frame sliders.... anything else All depends on the bike you get.

Edited by warpspeed

A few more thoughts (disclaimer: my $ .02, do what you want):

Definitely invest in some good pants with protection. Studies show that the legs are the most common location of injuries to fallen riders. Wearing knee pads under my jeans saved me from a broken knee years back.

I know people are divided on the helmet issue, but a helmet can certainly save your life in certain impact scenarios. Better still, the reduction in energy reaching your brain in lesser impacts can make the difference between a concussion and the type of mild head injury that leaves you functional but "not the same person he was before the accident".

Earplugs are cheap and make your riding much more peaceful. It's not the loud pipes but the wind noise that will eventually cause you to lose some hearing.

I'm definitely looking forward to some springtime riding!

Ride safe,

Franc

CBR1000RR

Really? For a street bike? Ever seen what frame sliders can do to a bike when they slide off the road? I won't put frame sliders on mine.

He should have said "properly installed" frame sliders :) Not just screwed onto the bike :D

Really? For a street bike? Ever seen what frame sliders can do to a bike when they slide off the road? I won't put frame sliders on mine.

I'd prefer to have mine stay on two wheels, on the road.

What are frame sliders?

A few more thoughts (disclaimer: my $ .02, do what you want):

Definitely invest in some good pants with protection. Studies show that the legs are the most common location of injuries to fallen riders. Wearing knee pads under my jeans saved me from a broken knee years back.

I know people are divided on the helmet issue, but a helmet can certainly save your life in certain impact scenarios. Better still, the reduction in energy reaching your brain in lesser impacts can make the difference between a concussion and the type of mild head injury that leaves you functional but "not the same person he was before the accident".

Earplugs are cheap and make your riding much more peaceful. It's not the loud pipes but the wind noise that will eventually cause you to lose some hearing.

I'm definitely looking forward to some springtime riding!

Ride safe,

Franc

CBR1000RR

Helmet for sure.

I'll also look into knee pads and ear plugs.

So anything else guys or is that about it?

Try Newenough.com or the clearance stuff at the Pony

You should be able to find a quality jacket for FAR less than $ 5-700, as long as you're not hung up on having a certain brand/style

Edited by Fonzie

frame sliders: pucks that are attached to the frame either directly replacing the engine mount bolts (usually need to cut the fairings -- highly recommended) or by either a re locater bracket (no need to cut the fairings -- "no cuts") strongly NOT recommended for reasons involving tweaked and snapped frames (worst case scenario, plus a good "cut" job is just as good and many people on here are experienced to help you out.

usually people will get frame sliders for when the little mistakes happen such as forgetting to put down the kickstand and the bike falls over or getting knocked over on accident (or on purpose), the bike will fall on these pucks instead of the fairings of the bike and preventing scratches. also in the severe case of a crash the bike will slide on these pucks instead of your painted fairings.

one tip over on either side will usually pay for itself.

as to the comment a few posts above, im not sure why you wouldn't put it on a street bike. i know of reasons not to put them on track bikes, but can you please post your reasonings? im curious as to your thoughts on it.

Definitely get the best gear you can afford...as well as what feels the best on you, because you want to be as comfortable as possible fully geared up so you can just enjoy the ride. Also, if you are a new rider, take the MSF course...it will teach you the basics of riding a motorcycle plus tell you how to apply these concepts in real world scenarios. You should also pick up a book like Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist 2" and read it cover to cover. Hope this helps, this is what I have done and so far so good.

MSF courses are good stuff. Motorcycle Ohio is a great way to get some basics and your endorsement if you don't already have it. My mom and my wife are both taking the BRC in July. If you need to take it, you should sign up soon-- they're booked quite a ways out.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/

Another place to look for deals, look in their "Hot Deals" section. I got the same Shift leather jacket I was looking at at Iron Pony for half the price. I was able to get a textile and leather for under $300.

New Enough had some great deals on Sidi boots, but I think most of the sizes are sold out now.

Basically look around, and you should be able to get good deals on whatever you need. Try to find somewhere like Iron Pony to try them on first, and they may even be on sale there when you go.