Thank you for Google Voice

Likwid

Bought a new dryer from Home Depot, they needed a phone number for delivery...

naturally I gave my GV number... not 10 minutes after the delivery the survey company started calling... I don't answer my phone, particularly if I don't recognize the caller... after the first 3 calls I set them to "Straight to Voicemail"... if this continues I'll block them (they get the "Number is no longer in service")...

Thank the lord for Google Voice!

Thanks for reminding me. I signed up and got the invite, but didn't finish up yet.

I better get on that. Blocking calls could be fun.

It's the single biggest benefit to GV, think about how hard it is to block a phone number with the regular phone company... I subscribe to the call blocking service but there's no interface and it only works part of the time...

With GV you can send to voicemail, ring certain phones, and/or block them completely.

Google voice is awesome. When my boss calls i just send him straight to VM if i don't want to answer and if he calls private. Also any time anyone asks for my # i give them my GV #.

Exactly! The only people I give my direct number to is family and friends I trust. Otherwise you get my GV, it's nothing against the people I give it to, it's simply to keep control so in 3 years I don't have to change my number... and if I lost my phone or some crap I don't have to contact a bunch of people to give them a new number.

I think Google Voice is great.

1) I give out one number and I can decided if it rings one or all of my phones by day and time.

2) Free long distance

3) I can conference 4 people.

4) I can set up a phone number in different area codes so that the call to me is a local call for the people in those area codes

the only thing that irks me is that some people leave their entire message when the system asks for their name. I'd like to have the ability to change the system message to make it clearer.

Great stuff. Thanks Google.

voice.google.com

Bought a new dryer from Home Depot, they needed a phone number for delivery...

naturally I gave my GV number... not 10 minutes after the delivery the survey company started calling...

All you have to do is answer it once and tell them to take you off their list....or do what I do and have your kid answer and talk like a crazy old lady. Its fun, try it.

All you have to do is answer it once and tell them to take you off their list....or do what I do and have your kid answer and talk like a crazy old lady. Its fun, try it.

While that would probably work with Telesight that isn't the best option (compared to blocking) with telemarketers.

When you ask them to put you on their "do not call list" they are only obligated to put you on the PAYING company's list... not all their (the telemarketing company) list.

Plus, what if you get a REAL scummy company... I've read plentyh of stories where people get more calls after they bitch.