Free Lunch and Beer For You

CoolWhip

Hey guys,

This is a repost, but my last one wasn't getting that many replies so I figured I would change the title. My roommate and I are looking for someone who knows a thing or two about bikes to help us get our bikes tuned up and ready for the summer. Both bikes are running and working, we just need some help tuning everything up, but we are both very inexperienced and looking to learn some do it yourself bike work. Like the title said we will provide beer and food. I also have a decent amount of tools, so we shouldn't have to get a bunch. I am located near the OSU campus, and you can either come here or we will come to you. Thanks ahead of time. ~Alex

I don't know specifically, my bike seems like it might be burning oil, but I'm not positive, I took it out for the first time today and it made the 60 mile ride fine. I have to buy a new battery tomorrow, but I kinda just want someone who knows what they are looking for to look it over and maybe help me figure out if there is anything I need to tune up to get it riding like a charm. This is my first bike and I rode today for the first time. The bike sat in a garage over the winter and I'm not sure what the normal procedures are for getting it ready for Spring

OSU campus area? I can wander over and stare at it and go "yep, it's a bike, both wheels are there...good to go"...that's about the extent of my maintenance skills :p How much beer will that earn me?

If it was me...you get half a glass, or can of beer. Good? :D

Haha well if you want to come see my bike, I guess that is worth a can of Budweiser lol

Can? You just lost me. Can's are for vegetables, Spaghetti-o's, and Coca-Cola, not beer. :nono:

I'd love to help you out, but I have so little time lately. Next weekend would be the first possible chance I'd have, and I'm not even sure about that, since one of my bikes is still in pieces.

Can? You just lost me. Can's are for vegetables, Spaghetti-o's, and Coca-Cola, not beer. :nono:

I'd love to help you out, but I have so little time lately. Next weekend would be the first possible chance I'd have, and I'm not even sure about that, since one of my bikes is still in pieces.

Well if they just want to come and look at my bike I think that warrants a "can" of Bud if you want to help me tune it up I think I could share my bottles of Amber Bock ;)

Btw, I might be free next Sunday possibly if you want to meet up

Spools or the swingarm? Got a lift, but needs spools. I can help a bit Tuesday morning if need be. No beer necessary, as I'm going on a bicycle ride late morning to early afternoon.

Spools or the swingarm? Got a lift, but needs spools. I can help a bit Tuesday morning if need be. No beer necessary, as I'm going on a bicycle ride late morning to early afternoon.

Spools or the swingarm? Sorry I'm a noob and I don't understand the question. Tuesday works great, do you want us to come to you or you want to meet up at my place? I live in an apartment by campus so I don't have much of a place to work, but we can work in my parking lot if you want.

A spool is a small little bolt on that goes near where the rear wheel hub nut is. The bike can be lifted by levering up the rear using the spools.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Vortex_Swingarm_Spools--505765.html

That way the chain can be tensioned and lubricated. You'd need oil and filter too.

I've got tools at my place, and no problem putting an hour or so to help out.

A spool is a small little bolt on that goes near where the rear wheel hub nut is. The bike can be lifted by levering up the rear using the spools.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Vortex_Swingarm_Spools--505765.html

That way the chain can be tensioned and lubricated. You'd need oil and filter too.

I've got tools at my place, and no problem putting an hour or so to help out.

Just a wild guess here, but a Nighthawk most likely has a center stand, negating the need for spools.

Just a wild guess here, but a Nighthawk most likely has a center stand, negating the need for spools.

Yes, I do have a center stand */facepalm lol so just the oil and filter? Do I need anything else? I am headed to Autozone today, because I have to get a new battery and I can pick up anything I need. Let me know if you want me to grab you anything as well.

Yes, I do have a center stand */facepalm lol so just the oil and filter? Do I need anything else? I am headed to Autozone today, because I have to get a new battery and I can pick up anything I need. Let me know if you want me to grab you anything as well.

You need some chain lube as well, if you don't already have some. I'm not sure if AZ has anything decent, or not. I use PJ1 blue label chain lube, myself. If you don't know the history of the bike, you might want to grab some plugs for it. AZ should be able to get those, they might have to order them, though.

Side note: Maybe next year, someone can plan a "shop day" or something for a bunch to get together and prep their bikes for the season, and maybe something mid to late season as well. I know Hoblick did something like this a time or so last year, and I MIGHT be able to do something, IF I the owner of the shop where I work is ok with it.

Ok, so where should I get the lube, oil, and plugs? Do I need to head all the way out to Iron Pony or is there a place near OSU campus? Btw an OR shop day sounds awesome we should definitely do something like that. What time and location are we meeting up?

The manual is always good as a reference. I'd suggest a trip to the Iron Pony. Get the filter, and the viscosity oil that the manual suggests. Semi-synthetic should be fine. Chain lube is good to have on hand. Air filter might be an idea, but not necessary, as with spark plugs.

I live by Byrne's Pub in Grandview, and usually just put the bike up in my back yard.

Dont get your oil at autozone, bike oil and car oil are not the same. Put motorcycle oil in your motorcycle not car oil. Your clutch discs are in the oil bike oil is designed for that car oil is not.

They don't carry any M/C oil? I get mine from Carquest, they stock Amsoil, and Valvoline conventional in the 10w40 that I run in my bikes.

K, I will make a trip to Iron Pony today and get all of those things. Do you need anything? I am hoping you are meaning the town of Grandview just south of OSU campus and not the city of Grandview near Cinci...

Grandview south of campus. Easy ride down 5th. You can hold off on the things I said you might need. Better to look at what we're working with- as you might have a good air filter that just needs cleaned. Not the oil and filter though.