who else rides when its under 40*

cOoTeR

My nephew who is 6 has told me several times he thinks I'm addicted to my motorcycle. I think he may be right. I rode my bike until December last year not just on the nice days. The last ride I got caught in a light snow. This year my first ride the high for the day was 36*. I've put 850 miles on the bike so far this year. Which is quiet a bit since I work 2-10pm and can't ride when the temp is at its high for the day. When I leave work its still pretty cold and I have a 50 minute ride to do. I tough it out and ride even though I won't be able to feel my hands for an hour after I get home. What is it about the ride that has me convinced it is well worth it to subject myself to the fridged temperatures. I'm not complaining. I do enjoy the ride I'm just curious if I'm one crazy mofo or if there is several others that also brave the cold. On my way home tonight I saw the temp was 38*. The feeling is like standing outside in a temp of 38* with a sustained wind of 70 mph. But I still plan on riding the rest of the week. Am I just an avid rider or am I really addicted to my motorcycle.

My first two years of riding the weather would have to be hot and dry. As long as it was over 60* I would ride. Now if its dry not windy and the low is over 35* I will probably ride. But I am still pretty new to being on two wheels so maybe that's why I try to ride as much as I can.

My first two years of riding the weather would have to be hot and dry. As long as it was over 60* I would ride. Now if its dry not windy and the low is over 35* I will probably ride. But I am still pretty new to being on two wheels so maybe that's why I try to ride as much as I can.

I found it's the same if you're either a new rider or if you get a new bike. You ride any time the road conditions are favorable whatever the temperature. After a couple seasons it falls off.

I don't put my bikes up for winter so I ride whenever I can but I have a dual heat-troller and heated jacket liner and gloves.

Yesterday was cold. 31 degrees at 6 am, but I survived my 40 min. commute. My hands warmed up after about an hour and a half.

At 55 MPH, the wind chill was 12 degrees!

I'll commute when the low is above freezing and there's a 40% or less chance of rain. But I'm thinking of just commuting regardless of the rain chances this year.

Commuting saves me $3+ a day, because I don't have to pay parking. :D

i know last year during the begining of the season i went home to michigan and didnt look at the weather at all, when i rode back i believe it was 37 degrees out and it was a 3 hour ride back to ohio. it wasnt that bad of a ride but at 75-80 it was quite a cold ride, i dressed for it and it didnt bother me that much, it wasnt fun but it wasnt that bad either

Mid 40s with dry (and clear of winter salt!) is my cutoff. With the jacket that has vents, this allows me to be safe during the low temps while still be comfortable should the mid-day temp creep up.

My major issue is during the fall season on Route 33 from my work (Honda plant in Marysville) to Dublin where its not lighted and too many deer accidents happen at night. As I work until 1am, the best I can hope for is to ride behind a small group of cars for more illumination and shielding.

Having said that, this week has been improving and I can't wait for Friday...

Yes , I rode from Chillicothe area to north side of Columbus, Saturday , didn't seem to bad till I saw the temp. up by South Bloomfield , it was 28 , But I have more protection than a lot of you since I ride a Gold Wing , But I have been known to ride till it is snowing most years

Whenever the road is dry, and salt is not an issue. I don't care about temperature, because I can dress for it. I've been out in the teens on my scooter.

I've ridden to work at 6:30-7am a few days a week for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I've ridden the bike @1500 miles since February. I take it pretty easy in the morning since the road is pretty cold, but other than that it's fine. I do have a heated jacket and gloves though, which makes a HUGE difference. I don't have to layer up going to work. The jacket it warm enough (I've tested into the 20's) with just my normal work shirt on (usually a short sleeve polo) and i haven't turned it up more than about halfway.

I usually do, but this week I rode ~75 miles in the cold (40 give or take a few degrees) in full tuck bc I was so freakin cold... I shivered for 3 hours after I got home. I love being on my motorcycle, but no likey da cold.

38* is my limit... but I can only do my daily commute at that temp because I did the math. At 38* when riding at 35 MPH the wind chill is -3... so 38* is my limit... at least until I get some heated gear.

I actually rode at least 100 miles a week all through the winter, except for that period where there was a lot of snow/ice actually on the roads. The trick is to dress in layers, pay attention to when your fingers get past numb and start hurting again, and try to stay within 30ish miles of a gas station in case you need emergency coffee. Also, if you're gonna be doing it all day in the cold, plan to take warm-up breaks at regular intervals.

I enjoy the :wtf: looks I get from cagers when I roll past with snow on the ground.

went four wheelin when it was -5 the entire week it was like that in 07 lol....the cold doesnt bother me with the right gear... but i lost my nice gloves, and tried some gloves from meijer (thinsulated work gloves) and my hands physcially hurt so much i turned around and went home to get my car