need you advise, got in an accident.

Jcroz91

might just have them repack the driver side airbag. is it really hard to install an airbag yourself?

Like Cheech said, you don't repack airbags. Once deployed they are done. You replace the whole assembly. The reason airbags are so much to replace is insurance wants BRAND NEW airbags installed for liability reasons. You can get ones from a salvage yard and install but be aware they may not deploy if needed and if you sell the car, be sure you tell the new owners.

no idea, never tried. JPorter on here should know. I know you need to pack an explosive charge/device, and I suppose that's where the $1,000/bag to reinstall cost comes.

Seems to me like something best left to a professional.

See above^^

Not hard to install at all, the trick is not blowing it off in your face and forceing the ratchet thru your chest.

They usually aren't difficult. Just have to disconnect the battery and let it sit for 10 minutes. That way the airbag "battery" will be discharged.The connectors for airbags are always yellow. Usually just some bolts/nuts to install them. Where it gets more difficult are side curtain airbags, those are fun.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They usually aren't difficult. Just have to disconnect the battery and let it sit for 10 minutes. That way the airbag "battery" will be discharged.The connectors for airbags are always yellow. Usually just some bolts/nuts to install them. Where it gets more difficult are side curtain airbags, those are fun.

Damn, I always seem to skip over that first step! I couldn't tell you how many airbags I've pulled without disconnecting the battery! I'm sure it's several hundred, and I haven't heard of hardly any that have deployed for that reason. With that said, I do not advise skipping any of the safety precautions.

Did both airbags blow? If so, you have to replace both for either one to work. Some systems require the airbag module (computer) to be replaced at the same time. Something in the software will not let the system function again after deployment.

As for advice, I have to agree with what many are already saying about learning financial responsibility. I WISH I could geet a grasp on it! Seriously. Live below your means now (less than you make) so that later you can live it up! Save now to be wealthy later.

:popcorn:

exactly what I was thinking.

Buy a cheaper car and consider it a lessoned learned.

Were you wearing a seatbelt? Wait, you're a squid, aren't you? So i bet you didn't have the seatbelt on, and the seat leaned back so gangsta you could barely see over the steering wheel. You're lucky it didn't cause you serious injury.

Actually, I have no idea who you are, but am glad you are okay. Consider this a lesson.

If you're looking for an honest opinion, I think you should take that money that your parents have saved for you and consider using it for education and/or real emergencies.... hate to say it but I think having a nice car should probably be the least of your worries.

this

This is going to sound like a dick thing to say, but what would I do?

Carry full coverage on your vehicles. Consider the price differences between liability and full coverage, then compare to how long it would take for the difference in cost to equal the $5K to fix your Mustang, and see if it's really worth it.

Lets say the price difference between liability and full coverage was $50, just to throw out a nice even number. It would basically take 8 years to equate to the same amount of money you are facing to fix your car now.

It's a hell of a lot easier to pay a bit more monthly, than a huge lump sum all at once.

Or at least for me it is.

Good luck whatever you decide.

went in today to give them the deposit and i told them to just do the driver airbag and then ill do the pass one later.

So is your intention to fix the mustang? I'm kinda surprised insurance isn't totaling it out, usually when both airbags deploy it's a good sign they're going to write it off.

jcroz dont play

seriously... ur just pissing me the fuck off now. just shut ur fat ass mouth or i will shut it for u! you always commenting on my shit like u think ur higher up than me.. like ur a big deal. Nobody wants to hear your ignorant opinion. ur nothing. you will never be anything. you will never intimidate me nor scare me in any way. ur nothing but a low life ass dousche bag who talks shit to people you dont even know on the internet. your going to want to stfu before i come after you. cause iv for real had enough. ur joke are old and ur bs is exhausted. ur the only person on this earth that thinks your cool. drop it! you dont know me... you know nothing about me... the things iv done or people i know. which shows your ignorance cause your trying to talk shit to me like im going to just let it go and back down to you. its not going to happen. i dont talk shit out like that. ask people that know me if you think im lieing. it was over and you just keep going. your making this a bigger deal than it needs to be and im to the point where i really dont give a fuck anymore. the bottom line is stop talking or ill end this myself. let this go right now. dont even reply to this message. any thread i make dont comment in, idc if you have the perfect answer to my question. id rather just not have an answer than hear ur bitch ass mouth.

talked some shit to me on CR, then i talked a little back, and he couldnt handle the heat lol

:bigfinger:

Edited by Steve Butters