RIAA wants access to your computer...

Likwid

At your own expense... it's sad to say, I'm not shocked or surprised. How is the RIAA and the MPAA different from other terrorist organizations that will do whatever the feel as best at whatever the cost... *shrug*

Big Brother is watching you. Actually, it's the RIAA and the MPAA, especially if you're parked on a BitTorrent client. The Electronic Frontier Foundation reports that both organizations--along with a few others--want to take the file-monitoring process a huge step further by infiltrating consumer PCs and deleting the infringing content off their hard drives. How? Through "anti-infringement" spyware developed and enforced by the government. This is no joke.

"There are several technologies and methods that can be used by network administrators and providers...these include [consumer] tools for managing copyright infringement from the home (based on tools used to protect consumers from viruses and malware)," reads a caption in a joint comment (pdf) filed by the MPAA and RIAA.

The joint comment goes on to suggest other means of copyright enforcement including a mandatory scan on all internet connections to interdict transfers of illegal content, physical searches at all borders of personal media players, laptops, and USB sticks. There's even an indication that the parties want to enforce international bullying to force other countries to put similar policies in place.

But there's more. The comment said that the copyright holders want the FBI and Department of Homeland Security to fork over agents--at the taxpayer's expense--so that they can guard the media prior to distribution.

"The planned release of a blockbuster motion picture should be acknowledged as an event that attracts the focused efforts of copyright thieves, who will seek to obtain and distribute pre-release versions and/or to undermine legitimate release by unauthorized distribution through other channels," the statement reads. "Enforcement agencies (notably within DOJ and DHS) should plan a similarly focused preventive and responsive strategy. An inter-agency task force should work with industry to coordinate and make advance plans to try to interdict these most damaging forms of copyright theft, and to react swiftly with enforcement actions where necessary."

How far will they go?

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/RIAA-MPAA-Illegal-downloads-Torrent,news-6496.html

Anything downloaded needs to be put on an external hard drive then hooked to a PC not connected to the internet.

doesn't matter man, think about Sony's rootkit stuff. Viruses/Spyware/malware can be embedded into any file... then it spreads.

If the external hard drive is ever connected to your computer... poof... all files infected. Ok so the root of the problem, you need 1 way communication, so CD-R recorded on main machine then copied to the secondary drive...

The issue is, no matter what you do, your main computer will get infected. There are backdoors, trojans, worms on your computer already...

doesn't matter man, think about Sony's rootkit stuff. Viruses/Spyware/malware can be embedded into any file... then it spreads.

If the external hard drive is ever connected to your computer... poof... all files infected. Ok so the root of the problem, you need 1 way communication, so CD-R recorded on main machine then copied to the secondary drive...

The issue is, no matter what you do, your main computer will get infected. There are backdoors, trojans, worms on your computer already...

Didn't consider that. So if I had anything, and I don't, I'd better burn to dvd.

Didn't consider that. So if I had anything, and I don't, I'd better burn to dvd.

and NEVER access it from your main computer again... in fact, to be entirely safe you should format your hard drive and not connect it to the internet again... so now you see, there's no reason to fight it... just fly far enough under the radar that you're not a person of interest :D

and NEVER access it from your main computer again... in fact, to be entirely safe you should format your hard drive and not connect it to the internet again... so now you see, there's no reason to fight it... just fly far enough under the radar that you're not a person of interest :D

but if it's on dvd, even accessed on the internet connected machine, they couldn't delete it right? Of course they might be knocking on doors then.

but if it's on dvd, even accessed on the internet connected machine, they couldn't delete it right? Of course they might be knocking on doors then.

They can't delete it, but when it comes to it, what's going to set off red lights and alarms quicker? Successfully deleting the files or finding the files and NOT being able to delete it?

Yah, that's right... no not really. Windows, Linux, OSX... they all have backdoors and rootkits.

so will this "RIAA WANTS ACCESS TO YOUR COMPUTER" thing too. I'm sure the same way there is ways to rip DVD's with protection on them now there will be ways to get around this thing too. There is a lot more people in the world that are willing to stop this then people making it work :cheers:

so will this "RIAA WANTS ACCESS TO YOUR COMPUTER" thing too. I'm sure the same way there is ways to rip DVD's with protection on them now there will be ways to get around this thing too. There is a lot more people in the world that are willing to stop this then people making it work :cheers:

I don't disagree with that! I'm really hoping this is more fear mongering and none of this comes to fruition. XBox 360 took some time to hack :D

I don't disagree with that! I'm really hoping this is more fear mongering and none of this comes to fruition. XBox 360 took some time to hack :D

I think this is more of a BS story then real. Until i see something on the official site I'm not buying it. They HAVE TO make some kind of announcement if it will happen.

Yah, that's right... no not really. Windows, Linux, OSX... they all have backdoors and rootkits.

I'm an IT dumbass, so what about an Apple Mac? --- I already had a nasty malware attack on my Windows based laptop. Bleah

I think this is more of a BS story then real. Until i see something on the official site I'm not buying it. They HAVE TO make some kind of announcement if it will happen.

The RIAA/MPAA HAS to tell you when it plans to start hacking you? Or the FBI HAS to tell you how they plan to enforce it? *shrug*

Soooo, none of you know how to encrypt a file or folder?

It's time to learn...

Or for fun, make a folder that clearly says music, and put a large quantity of fake files in it of tiny size... all blank or nearly so... all mp3 of course...

The RIAA/MPAA HAS to tell you when it plans to start hacking you? Or the FBI HAS to tell you how they plan to enforce it? *shrug*

Hacking is illegal so technically you can sue them.. Let's say you are backing up your OWN dvd's that you have originals to and they fuck with your stuff that sound like a lawsuit to me.

Here's an mp3 for them, 4k, I can get 250,000 of them in one meg of storage space. Or 250 million in one gig of storage space.

quick fart mp3

crap, I can't link to it... oh well,, it's the thought that counts...

edit: to give you an idea of what I'm talking about... let's say it takes one second each, to remotely check and discard the examination of one of these tiny fake files. It would take 8 years to search my one gig folder...

Edited by ReconRat