WTB daughters 1st bike

jhl385

I'm looking for a cheap starter bike for my youngest. A GS500, Ninja500 - something around 450 to 500 cc. She only has $1000 but I could kick in some if the bike is a good runner. Of course a few dents/dings/scratches would be fine and around 400 lbs.

I'm in the Akron area but willing to travel a bit for the right one.

Thanks,

John

damn, my dad sold his GS500 for way less than it was worth a few months ago.

he barely even rode it. the previous owner was female and had lowered it and everything... Perfect first bike.

The GS500 linked looks pretty good. the EX500 will have noticeably more power though. I'd ask $1800 for mine on CL, and be happy to get $1500, so I don't think $1200 or so would be out of the question for the one linked above.

mine has 15k on it, but is a couple years newer. My wife rides my EX with only MSF course experience (on a TW200), so it's definitely manageable for a beginner.

+1 for FZRs. That was what I learned on, low end has enough torque to be forgiving. When you wring it's neck there is enough power up top to keep it interesting for a long time. Handling is good and it's not too heavy.

Bad - Thanks for the links, the first and last are under consideration. In the process of checking them out.

John

you're welcome. I get bored at work and cruise craigslist all the time since I'm in the market for a 2nd bike

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to throw my bike on the market soon. 2002 Yamaha Virago. I'm 5"2 and it is a perfect fit for my first street experience. 250cc. easy to manuever. Its def. a starter, and smaller engine than you are looking for but your daughter might like it alot. All black. Pretty, dual saddle bags. I'm still riding and enjoying it. I will be listing it @ $1600.00 firm. Very well cared for and new battery. Just throwing it out there.

http://www.ohio-riders.com/picture.php?albumid=373&pictureid=3603

Edited by socaln8tv
add photo link

Thanks all for the replies - we found an '01 GS for her last Fri and it's signed, sealed and delivered. She is pumped and today we are going to get started with her first day of riding! I just wish I could remember to tell her everything she needs to know - lol.

She is already signed up for the state MSF course but a little head start won't hurt. I'll see how much of my 41 years of riding can be translated. Prob not much.

Thanks everyone!

John