Gas Station Question

AfroCBR

Unlike Beau, I have run Marathon mostly as they are closest to the house and cheapest on the main drag through here. Never once had an issue. I usually just try and stay away from the old mom 'n pop places that may have old tanks or would just have stale gas.

Couple things: We live near a large Marathon distribution center (big white tanks above ground and all that) in Lebanon. We see all of the tanker trucks coming and going, and they are from a multitude of companies, not just Marathon. I've heard that it "all comes up in the same pipeline, but some companies add a little of this or a little of that to their particular taste". Dunno, I'm not a fuel guy.

Secondly, I've had great luck with Marathon fuel (completely unrelated to being near the depot. There's a Marathon about a mile from the depot, on 122, that charges the same as everyone else). We used BP for years, religiously. I switched to Marathon exclusively, and my work car (Mazda 3) went from 25 mpg religiously to 27-28mpg. Same driving, nothing else changed.

I think that as long as you're buying from a station that has a reasonable amount of business, the fuel in their tanks is getting rotated enough that it shouldn't be an issue. A mom and pop shop out in the holler may give you problems, but when you're out there, you're probably out of options anyhoo.

I don't like buying race fuel at the beginning of the season because in my mind, its been sitting in the tank collecting moisture all winter.

Ohio is one of four states that has no quality control regulations on gas. It's always been rumored that these four states are corporate dumping grounds for fuels that won't cut it in other states. So really, it's a crap shoot. Pick one and go with it.

Shell & Sunoco only.

Thats all I run. All the Sunocos inside lancaster have closed so its mostly Shell now. Ive heard horror stories of BP gas so i avoid it like the plague. All other major brands just fall into the gray in between area, and i never fuel at ma and pa stations.

Ohio is one of four states that has no quality control regulations on gas. It's always been rumored that these four states are corporate dumping grounds for fuels that won't cut it in other states. So really, it's a crap shoot. Pick one and go with it.

what are the other 3 states ?

Thx for all the input brothers!....I also received bad gas at Marathon and after that I wouldn't have my grandmother get gas there!!!!....thx again all...knew I could count on your guys to stimulate a discussion!

additionally....i didn't know about the sediment shifting when there was a tanker there....I just figured I'd be getting "fresher gas" when I pumped there...guess I was sadly mistaken!

additionally....i didn't know about the sediment shifting when there was a tanker there....I just figured I'd be getting "fresher gas" when I pumped there...guess I was sadly mistaken!

lol, yeah. That's probably worse than straight water in the tank. Yuck.

lol, yeah. That's probably worse than straight water in the tank. Yuck.

.....yes.....but the question is......is that worse than me peeing in my own tank to make it home when I run out of gas :confused:

• 1 year later...

Thortons gas stations are the only ones I have had trouble with around the Cincinnati Ohio area, my bike felt like I was pulling another one just like it behind me.

I tried it in my truck just to see if it was the gas and the same effect there too. So I avoid the Thortons gas and all is well.