Drinking and riding.

demitrix

Clearly everyone here knows how bad of an idea it is, this isnt a lecture against it. Just a reminder of the dangers. Tonight I was a small bar in Lancaster, The Fairview, NightRider was with me but left early. After last call a guy got on his Harley and left, I went inside to use a restroom and when I came back all my friends were missing, I found out the rider went down in the alley behind the bar. So I ran over and turns out the guy either destroyed his ankle and/or his tibia/fibula. Me and my friends helped him up and got him the proper medical attention and parked his bike for him. This is the first time I've seen somene seriously injured on a bike and it hit home so again I'm not lecturing anyone just be safe and think twice.

:plus1: I agree, riding is dangerous enough without adding in the slowed reaction times and poor coordination and balance from alcohol. Working in a hospital I have seen too many bikers that come into the ER from alcohol related accidents, kinda scared me away from even thinking about drinking and hopping on a bike. Edited by drew95gt

Apparently many people don't know how to sober up before riding. Which is understandable. After getting drunk, a new decision is made that it can be done anyway. It's not like people who own motorcycles don't drink. But it's evident that most people sober up before riding. I'm pretty sure some of us are still drunk the next morning when we get up and ride. So I guess I'm going to say I'm against bad decisions. If you are the type of person that makes bad decisions when drinking, stay at home to drink.

It has been my personal policy from the get go that if I'm on the scoot, no brews for me. Its not that I can't exercise discretion, its just not good business. Not for me or our bike community. I have friends that will go from bar to bar to bar, and only have one beer there, stay for an hour and think they are good then move on to the next place. Um, no. Not my style.

So how bad did this dude wreck his leg? That's gonna take some time to come back from I'd guess.

I was really surprised at how many beers were going down at QS&L before noon last Saturday after the Memorial Ride. I will add that none of the OR guys (and girls) that I met were drinking.

I was really surprised at how many beers were going down at QS&L before noon last Saturday after the Memorial Ride. I will add that none of the OR guys (and girls) that I met were drinking.

That's awesome that someone can make that statement about Ohio-Riders! It puts a good image out there that not all sportbike riders are squids, but that some of us are very responsible riders, and have a good time while being that way.

I see the same situation every Thursday at QS&L in Austintown.

I think the worst part is,that the LEO's watch these ppl drink and let them ride off.

I just don't get that.

From what I ahve been told, and what I've read about this is if a LEO watches someone leave a bar, then pulls them over for to get a DUI charge, they call that entrapment. I don't totally agree with this, as the LEO is watching them do something illegal and very dangerous, but cannot do anything about it. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to how this works, and why?

So much more room to swerve in a lane on a bike than in a car. Drinking and riding a bike is a lot safer than driving. And let's not forget that puking in a helmet's pretty cool too.

We don't need to drink, someone always comes up with something to entertain us anyway. Too bad you left before Jagr had his "hay guys, look what I can do wif this sweet knife!" moment. :)

I see the same situation every Thursday at QS&L in Austintown.

I think the worst part is,that the LEO's watch these ppl drink and let them ride off.

I just don't get that.

That amazes me as well. The guys at the bar in Polaris who all mostly leave before dark anyway, are just pounding brews. The 3 LEO's at the front just blankly stare at them as they're riding away. So much for "public safety."

+1. I never have even one before riding. Not worth the risk.

I noticed that too. Ohio riders FTMFW!

So much more room to swerve in a lane on a bike than in a car. Drinking and riding a bike is a lot safer than driving. And let's not forget that puking in a helmet's pretty cool too.

:lol: Reminds me of the drinking and driving commercial where the helmet is full of beer.

That amazes me as well. The guys at the bar in Polaris who all mostly leave before dark anyway, are just pounding brews. The 3 LEO's at the front just blankly stare at them as they're riding away. So much for "public safety."

In our litigious society, entrapment and violating someone's right to be stupid, and dangerous, trump public safety. Sad...

Best said by someone else who said it was two different sports for them. Same here...I look at it this way, If I drink and ride and something happens due to my slow reaction time or some other cause...Not only am I out a bike, it will cost me all that booze money to fix/ buy a new bike. Not worth it to me. However, I steady out and can focus waaaay better when Ive been drinking but that applies to beer pong and other non-lethal activities lol dont want to find out how that might go on a bike...

Clearly everyone here knows how bad of an idea it is, this isnt a lecture against it. Just a reminder of the dangers. Tonight I was a small bar in Lancaster, The Fairview, ...........

I used to bartend there, years ago. It was the launch pad and landing zone. Dead between 10 and 1.

dang it! quit talking about beer and motorcycles! You'all making me want to drink and ride...

Already went to the beer dock this morning without a helmet. It was nice, I got to actually hear the motorcycle, to see what it was up to.

Note: my transmission clunks loudly when shifting cold, and can be heard about a block away...

you have to be drunk in order ride a harley and wear a gay leather vest. hitten the twisties is only a 12 pack and a county line road away ;)

Why do I think of the Village People when you said that...

I could rock a vest in the body armor style, like this:

I could see it over long sleeve black Draggin' Kevlar knit armor, with black gloves.

For casual riding. I'm a trend setter here...

Biker's Den

Image1.jpg