Bike won't start...Help!

Jeepman3ski

I went out to ride to work and my bike wouldn't start. The electronics start up as usual. When I push the ignition button I heard a click then nothing. A few times when I tried to start it I didn't hear a click at all. The computer would recycle and then same thing over and over. This makes me think it is the started or MAYBE the battery but my money is on the starter. Any help to figure out what is wrong and then anyone willing to work on it with me so I don't have to trailer it to a shop would be great.

Thank!

Battery. I'd try charging it, or jumping it (if using a car, don't have the car running) and I bet it fires right up. A better check is a volt meter across the battery terminals. It SHOULD be 12.6 volts, or pretty close. If it's down in the 11's, it's low, might just need a charge. Any lower than that, and it's likely shot, unless the bike has been sitting for quite some time.

I will throw it on the charger when I get home from work. I have been riding it 3-4 days a week at the moment...

SIde Note: how often do you throw your bike on the charger?

Never, it shouldn't need it, if everything is working correctly. The exception is in the Winter, when the bike is stored. Either the battery gets charged on the bike, or the battery comes in the house and gets charged.

A good battery, with a fresh charge, should show 13.5 to 14.5 volts.

A good working battery should never show less than 12.5 volts.

Less than 12.5 volts and something is wrong.

All my bikes are hooked to the tender whenever theyre parked even if its just over night. After every ride I lube the chain and hook the tender up.

^^what he said. Lots of people like to keep a battery on a charger all the time. But it should be a good charger, one that doesn't over-charge the battery. The charger should be able to reduce it's charge and keep it there.

I've never hooked my bikes up to a charger, other than the new battery for the Hon-duh when I first got it.

I think I rememebr hearing that some of the Euro bikes drain the battery when the sit, so a tender would be a good idea if you don't ride daily. As for Todd using a tender, he'll be the first to tell you he doesn't ride all that much, so the tender is a good idea for him as well.

I just got off the phone with a triumph service guy. He said they pull a ton of power to get the engines to turn over and unless I ride it for more then 30-45 minutes a few times a week I will have issues. Lets see if jumping it tonight will work. Then it will be off to iron pony to get a tender...

Edited by Jeepman3ski

So the bike started up great at my place. Went over to drop off a movie at redbox and it wouldnt turn over again, I tried to push start it but no good. Anyways I found someone to jump it for me. I forgot my wallet of course so had to go back home. It turned over just find afterwards. I then headed over to Grandview for bike night and when I left it turned over with no issue again. Terminals need cleaning maybe? It was fun having to tell the girl on the back of my bike that I need to be jumped, she laughed a little then thought $hit we are stuck at giant eagle...

My bike is like that. Needs a good charge, or there isn't even a stir from the starter motor. If a well charged battery isn't starting your bike, check the starter relay.

I think it may be the battery...may want to charge it. :D

eta... Check battery voltage while you are holding the starter button. I bet it's going to drop drastically. Cranking voltage needs to be at least 11.5vdc or it's probably not gonna fire.(or is it 10.5, I don't remember exactly) It sounds like a new battery may be in order..

Edited by dustinsn3485

I think it may be the battery...may want to charge it. :D

eta... Check battery voltage while you are holding the starter button. I bet it's going to drop drastically. Cranking voltage needs to be at least 11.5vdc or it's probably not gonna fire.(or is it 10.5, I don't remember exactly) It sounds like a new battery may be in order..

From my automotive experience, it's usually 10.5.

So, how long did you have the bike running from the time you took it off the tender, until you shut it off? If it's not more than a few minutes, the bettery didn't have enough chargint time to recover from the startup. It sounds like the Triumph's are very sensitive about electrical stuff, and maybe all the Euro bikes.

I left my key on the other day and drained my battery. I had to jump it and ride it for about 45 minutes before it was good to go again. I did let it idle for 10 min and shut it off a few times before I said "fuck it" and rode it around!