Has anybody actually sold a motorcycle lately?

TSB67

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sold a bike last week on CL and bought another one the same day. Thinking about throwing the R6 up on CL and seeing what happens, I love the looks of the R6, but the new 600rr is more enjoyable to ride.

the wife give up on learning?

the wife give up on learning?

No, she's still learning, just not on the 250... I traded her Kawi for the CBR. I figured that she had the basics down and put 1000 miles on the 250 and that it would be ok to upgrade. She loves how the CBR rides, she just needs to get used to the power delivery.

I just posted my bike this week on CL and no luck for me so far. :(

same here, but I know it's over-priced. I figured, "put it out there, and see if anyone bites."

no one has...

might need to knock off $100, but I have no need to sell, so I may hold off.

The key is first to own a desirable bike and second to price it competitively. Don't think your bike is worth more than someone else's just because its yours.

True. Some people are delusional about what their bikes are worth. And the economy has killed the used bike market.

Last week someone was trying to sell a used 09 GSXR 600 for $10,200 on CL. New 09's can be had for $7,499 with no setup fees.

Used bikes are only worth what someone is willing to pay :cool:

Don't think your bike is worth more than someone else's just because its yours.

I think most people list their bike higher than what it's worth just because they know negotiations knock it back down to standard value. That's how it used to work in a better economy anyway. The difference is that these days potential buyers just won't even bother asking anything if the price starts high. Most sellers haven't adjusted to that mentality yet.

I listed mine high because if I got lucky and somebody wanted to pay that much, great. Otherwise there was nothing wrong with the bike and I had no problems keeping it. It wasn't an issue of economic necessity so I was in no hurry.

I think most people list their bike higher than what it's worth just because they know negotiations knock it back down to standard value. That's how it used to work in a better economy anyway. The difference is that these days potential buyers just won't even bother asking anything if the price starts high. Most sellers haven't adjusted to that mentality yet.

I listed mine high because if I got lucky and somebody wanted to pay that much, great. Otherwise there was nothing wrong with the bike and I had no problems keeping it. It wasn't an issue of economic necessity so I was in no hurry.

this is basically where i'm at. i almost dont want to sell the bikes and don't need the money, but want to buy something else i dont need to replace something else i dont need.

^ i usually ask 500 more than i would sell for...havent had luck, so im trying to sell for closer to actual price now lol...gonna see how it goes

it's more practical to do that in percentage points than dollars.

if you're selling a $6,000 motorcycle, listing it for $6,500 means you're willing to negotiate 7-8% off your asking price.

In my case, I'm selling a bike worth more like $1400. listing it at $1900 (where I'm at, actually) is a 36% mark-up.

I'm not surprised i'm not getting many offers, but I'm not in any hurry to sell. I'm waiting for someone with a $1500 budget who can't afford the same bike that's 9 years newer, with half the miles for $2300.

^ i see your reasoning...if i want 1000 for a car, ill put it at 1300 or 1400...if i want 8k, ill put it at 9k or 9500

so i guess i do it the same sort of...except i always tend to be selling something worth 1-3k, so i usually use 500 as just a platform to start...somehow everything i own is worth 1-3k lol...except my truck, but its not for sale

i have the bike priced right where ide like it to sell though, so we will see

Dgtl Grl: Tell him to use "motorcycle money", not real money. Motorcycle money is like Monopoly money. It doesn't carry the same weight as "real money". For instance, I'll hesitate to buy a $13 CD at Best Buy, but don't blink at $150 for a new pair of gloves. Motorcycle money. Its a wonnnnnderful thing.

Oh, and the mistake he made was asking you about it/ discussing it with you. No offense, I'm just sayin'.

He shoulda just shown up with it.

Ever seen the King of Queens episode where Doug buys the Grand Cherokee (or whatever it was), and Carrie tries to take it back?

Dgtl Grl: Tell him to use "motorcycle money", not real money. Motorcycle money is like Monopoly money. It doesn't carry the same weight as "real money". For instance, I'll hesitate to buy a $13 CD at Best Buy, but don't blink at $150 for a new pair of gloves. Motorcycle money. Its a wonnnnnderful thing.

Oh, and the mistake he made was asking you about it/ discussing it with you. No offense, I'm just sayin'.

He shoulda just shown up with it.

Ever seen the King of Queens episode where Doug buys the Grand Cherokee (or whatever it was), and Carrie tries to take it back?

Okay.. well.. I see what you're saying.. but let me just say- BOTH bikes (the Aero and the VTX) are in MY name. :D

i dont advise this....

i have experience with showing up with expensive shit and not telling her until its too late.... doesnt go over well

but i guess in the end, she got over it - and now i have my truck...so on that note, go for it!

just hope you have a comfy couch