Concerts you've seen - best, worst?

jblosser

What are some of the best (and/or worst) concerts you've ever seen/heard? Another post got me thinking about this today.

Who have you seen perform more than once?

Anyone you wouldn't go see again?

Seeing Stanley Clarke, bass player extraordinaire, play "School Days" on our table at the Agora/Newport in the early '80's ranks right up there.

Saw the Who in Cleveland Stadium mid-'80's. Poured all day. Got to the stadium, it stopped. They played 90 minutes with Daltrey doing all the singing, then another 90 minutes with Townshend doing all the singing. Simon Phillips on the drums was just stupid-good. So extremely talented. When we left, it started raining again. St. Aquarius must be a Who fan...:D

I've seen Santana 4 or 5 times, also Todd Rundgren (with and without Utopia) 5 times, and Pink Floyd 3 times. If they/he come around again, I'll see 'em again. Saw Stevie Ray Vaughan 4 times, but obviously won't see him again.

Will not go to see Genesis again, Phil's voice is pretty much shot.

Your turn!

Genesis.... first CD I ever bought -- We can't Dance.

I've only been to two concerts in my life, and both were awesome.

Venue: The Machine Shop (Flint, MI)

When: 2004 (I think -- I know I was still in college getting my undergrad)

Bands: Theory of a Deadman (headlining), Submersed, and Breaking Point

Venue: House of Blues (Cleveland)

When: 2008

Bands: Dropping Daylight, Saving Abel, and Sick Puppies (Headlining)

Edited by JRMMiii

I got to see AC/DC for free through work a year or 2 ago, Amazing!

I disagree with that dude- link park was really good

2003 I want to Lollapalooza down in Dallas, ended up meeting Audio Slave

There have been a few other but those were the most memorable, Oh and Shallow Tail

So many good concerts to choose from but one very bad one due to my GF in HS.

The worst concert would be Bryan Adams with Survivor as the opening act at the Toledo Sports Arena '85 or '86.

Best Concert(s)

- Pink Floyd @ The Place of Auburn Hills '88 or '89

- Tool @ The Schott '01

- Fates Warning, Dream Theather, Queensryche @ the LC '07

- King Crimson @ Pine Knob '83

- Tangerine Dream @ Pine Knob ' 84

Stones,

EL&P,

Grateful Dead a few times,

AC/DC,

Black Sabbath,

Frank Zappa,

Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen, actually got to chat and shake his hand at the show. :)

Arlo Guthrie,

ZZ Top

Ah yes, back in the day! :)

Edited by Strictly Street

The Good:

Muse, Bell X-1, Snow Patrol, Echo & The Bunnymen, The National, U2, Garbage, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Nine Inch Nails, Linkin Park, White Zombie, Psychadelic Furs, James, Smashing Pumpkins, REM, Cake, Butthole Surfers, Jane's Addiction, They Might Be Giants, and the English Beat.

The Bad:

The Grateful Dead, David Bowie, and Kings of Leon.

Why:

A Flock of Seagulls.

Megadeth 2 years ago in columbus. I am going to see them again in October.

lol megadeth! that was the very first concert i ever went to when i was like 13.

ive been to A LOT since then. everything from country to death metal to rap, pop you name it. i love live music.

give me a few mintues ill dig out my stubs...

The best... several Grateful Dead shows

Other good ones...

AC/DC

U2

The Gang Of Four

The Chameleons

Buddy Guy

B.B. King

Jimmy Buffet

The Duhks

Yonder Mountain String Band

Todd Snider

Sam Bush Band,Teluride House Band...Teluride Bluegrass Festival '08

Edited by drc32-0

I'm a big Motley Crue fan, saw them the most, more times than I can remember. Saw them at the beginning of their career,

the peak, and the bottom. Saw them again the past few years after Vince came back and they all sobered up, they sound

better now then they did back in the day!

:metal:

Best concert, I hate to admit it but it was Bon Jovi @ The Colliseum in Richfield (its gone now).

Other concerts I've been to....

Poison

Cinderella

Quiet Riot

Aerosmith

KISS

The Godz (Al Rosa Villa)

Shania Twain

Kelly Clarkson

Worst concert.... NKOTB, yeah, I saw New Kids On The Block, I was being the good big brother,

I took my teenage sister and four of her friends, I even camped out for the damn tickets! My parents would only let her go if I took them.

Saw the Who in Cleveland Stadium mid-'80's. Poured all day. Got to the stadium, it stopped. They played 90 minutes with Daltrey doing all the singing, then another 90 minutes with Townshend doing all the singing. Simon Phillips on the drums was just stupid-good. So extremely talented. When we left, it started raining again. St. Aquarius must be a Who fan...:D

I was at that show. 89. It was supposed to be their farewell show. :rolleyes:

Totaled a car right after on I 80.

Best - Black Crowes, U2 (Joshua Tree tour 88, before they sucked) REM @ Vets in 87, Several Dead shows early 90's, Pink Floyd Flying Pig tour. The Replacements farewell tour.

Worst - The Who (sorry, wasnt all that good) Joan Jett @ Promo West Pavilion for the wing zing. Who know she was so popular with the dykes?

Edited by max power

i think the stubs are down at my moms house lol. oh well....

megadeth and the misfits in like 1995 or something. not the real misfits, no danzig, but i did see him at the newport once.

saw marilyn manson play the newport too before anyone knew who he was.

saw nine inch nails three times, twice in columbus once in cleveland.

lords of acid twice

ween three times

saw tori amos once

toby keith

allman brothers band like three times

saw the dead without jerry a few times

bob dylan

simon and garfunkel

ive been to countless local cheap concerts like CD 101 day and stuff like that. saw the decemberists play there. also the black keys in like 05

saw U2 a couple times.

saw ludacris at the schott

seen phish about 30 times lol

saw janes addiction a couple times, went to a few lollapaloozas saw snoop dogg at one, smashing pumpkins played once i think. beastie boys, cypress hill

been to a couple hardcore shows, as i lay dying, august burns red, killswitch engage. saw motorhead, seen ozzy a couple times...

thats just a percentage... i could seriously go on for hours about this.

WORST concert ive ever been to? linkin park fucking sucked. honestly i never liked them. i thought they sucked on CD too. i saw everclear at the newport. they sucked too. which i was disappointed because i really liked their CD. :(

The best from behind the scenes:

Was security at Metallica in 2000. "Guarded" the dressing rooms, got to meet the band and watch the show from backstage.

The best as a concertgoer:

Live, just as they released the Throwing Copper album nationally - played the Newport as one of their first stops (prob '95) stood at the front of the pit for the show. Bad ass....nothing like catching an artist when they are still kind of trying to make it and have a lot of passion for their music still.

only really been to a few big name concerts. I say The Devil Wears Prada before they got signed (was actually at the show they got signed at). Big concerts were The family values tour in 07. Went to Indiana to see it, mainly for korn, but hellyeah was pretty good, atreyu and flyleaf weren't bad. And more recently, aug 7th actually, went to mayhem festival in Pennsylvania. Rob zombie puts on really good shows, korn was after him, I liked their show. Lamb of god was good, and five finger death punch was as well. Those were main stage, there were a lot of second/third stage bands also. Got a cd signed by korn at the last one.

I have not been to any recent concerts. From a showmanship, production side, Garth Brooks was probably the best concert. Then Posion / Tesla show. Nickleback/ 3 doors Down at Blossom was ok.

I will never go to another Micheal Stanley concert, ( not that he plays anymore) I seen his farewell tour about 10 times. his last farewell tour should have been called, "yeah, this time i mean it" and then actually retire.

Most Recently

Jamey Johnson - kinda sucked

Craig Morgan - Excellent

Journey - melted my face off :D

Def Leopard #2 - I was disappointed

Meatloaf - puts on a hell of a show

Bryan Adams - meh, he was ok

Def Leopard #1 - was pretty tits McGavin

Robert Randolph and the Family Band - One of the best shows I've seen

Eric Clapton - Was epic

The Eagles - they were good too

The Good - Phil Collins, Genesis, Dream Theater (@ the Odeon in particular), Billy Joel and Elton John, Iron Maiden, Ben Folds Five, Great Big Sea

The Bad - Joe Satriani (I actually fell asleep during his set and I was third row)

Good:

Three Days Grace (seen them 12 times in 7 years)

Coheed and Cambria

Fuel

Lostprohpets

Hoobastank (when the lead singer is drunk)

Jimmy Eat World

Sevendust

Drowning Pool

Bad:

Staind

Nickelback (i was there to see the 2 opening acts)

Daughtry

Story of the Year

Hoobastank (when the lead singer is high)

Shinedown

I'm sure there is a host of others that I can't think of, I've been to so many concerts over the years they all blend together