Tire mounting

Loud and Low

I mount my own tires to save money; I bought a bead breaker from Harbor Freight and use a few tire levers. Soapy water to put the new tires on. For balancing I use Ride-On, it's a puncture hole sealing and tire balancing goo you put inside the tire after mounting. It takes some practice to change it quickly, try to find a few videos on youtube for visual tips.

I'm all about it, the hardest part for me is making sure you don't screw your brake rotors when you're prying a tire on or off.

you may want to make or buy one of these wheel locking stands to save your components from damage.

Coats220b.jpg

For balancing, I bought a static balancer from a member here, it was cheap and it works pretty well.

Thanks.

The HF bead breaker is in my sights. Since I'll be doing it in the garage, I think I can rig something with wood blocks to protect the rotors.

The dyna beads look interesting.

Do they move around in the tire? DO they re distribute themselves at every stop? Can you hear or feel them moving around?

$60 for a tire balancer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-balancing-stand-98488.html

ANd yes, you have to balance your tires, whether its with the beads or weights. if you don't you'll be wobbling and get vibration.

Get a few spoons, 2-3 of various sizes, it will help. I've never changed without a bead breaker so can't attest to the 2x4 method.

THe PITA part was getting the new tires on. I tried the soapy water but was apparently too stupid to get that o work. So we had a degreaser called "simple green" lying around. some sort of bio-degradable cleaner. Sprayed that all along the tire where the rim pops on and it was like magic. I've had 2 track days and 5k miles on them, so no issues.

to protect your rims, you can buy those rim protectors. It's like a rubber type piece that wraps a part of the rim so you don't fubar it. I've never used that, but wished I did. Mines all scratched to hell.

While you're at it, get 90 degree tire valves. My R1 barely had any room to reach near the rotors everytime I check the air. $10 from stealer was worth it.

Always easier the first few times with a friend who knows what they are doing.

GL.

I use drain oil to seal tires to bead

Using drain oil is an all bad idea. Motoroil WILL degrade the rubber, and could cause the rim to spin inside the tire, bad during acceleration, but even worse under braking. Buy commercial trie lube.

I went in with 4 others and bought a No Mar tire changer and balancer. I recouped my investment in one year. I change tires for guys from work and thier buddies from time to time and they are glad to pay $20 bucks a wheel.

Edited by kawipilot
misspell

Using drain oil is an all bad idea. Motoroil WILL degrade the rubber, and could cause the rim to spin inside the tire, bad during acceleration, but even worse under braking. Buy commercial trie lube.

been doing it this way for over 10 years, have had zero problems that you've described. :p

You are fortunate to have had no mishaps. Still it is a bad idea. Most petroleum distilates including motor oil will damage rubber. Tire lube contains ingredients specifically designed for ummmm.... tires and it actually gets sticky as it dries "gluing" the tire to the rim. Drop Dunlop, Michellin, Pirelli, Bridgestone or rubber hoops r us a line and see what they think of your idea. Better lucky than.......

To the original author of this thread do what you will, just do it with all of the knowlegde at your disaposal.