Headphones for riding, suggestions?

Casper

Okay, so I've decided to scrap the speaker idea. I'm already half deaf, and blasting speakers over the wind/road noise might not be the best idea.

So, a lot of people recommended Skullcandy. I bought a pair of the Ink'd last night at Best Buy. They just don't seem to fit snug enough to stay in place when I put my helmet on. What earbuds do you guys/gals use and would you recommend them?

I picked up the Skullcandy ASYM's after reading a bunch of posts on here. They are by far the most comfortable set of earbuds I've had. The way they sit in your ear you can't hardly tell they are there. They also do a fair job at blocking any wind noise you may get in your helmet.

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/asym-black.html

I use the JVC Marshmallows with the "Kramer Mod" to them, and I replaced the tips with Comply foam tips ($5 from Microcenter). Super comfy, block a ton of sound, and they sound great. For $25, not bad at all.

Problem with earbuds is it's all subjective, everyone's ears are different and fit is such a large part of how they work...plus helmets can get in the way. Just gotta try a few till something works.

I don't use in ear when cycling or the few times I've thrown one in an ear for a long ride since they tend to come out to easy. I usually keep a cheaper pair of over the ear like the Sony MDR-AS20J so they stay in place.

If you want a good pair of in ear headphones ditch the Skullcandy crap and pick up Klipsh S4's.

If you want a good pair of in ear headphones ditch the Skullcandy crap and pick up Klipsh S4's.

For the money, the ER6i is a way better earbud. I'm just not sure I'm ready to drop $70~ on a set of earbuds I'll probably destroy in my helmet.

How were the ER6i's? Why'd you replace them?

They were great for the most part. The wires always seemed fragile/thin to me so I always felt worried I was going to snag them. The noise canceling works well and sometimes almost too well. Highs and mids were great, lows not so much.

A friend recommended trying the S4's instead of getting another set of the Ety's so I did. The ear buds fit about the same but I prefer the S4's. The low's are much better if you prefer a bassy sound to your tunes. Cords aren't as thin. Also, for some reason the S4's don't sound like they need to be pushed as hard (turned up) so get the same volume levels as I did with the ER 6i's.

I like both really. I wouldn't mind getting the Ety's as a second pair so I could wear which ever fit the style of music I was listening to. My son uses the cheaper S2's after going through a ton of Skullcandy headphones and he'll never go back.

Another vote for the asym's here. I've noticed sometimes when I put my helmet on it'll squash the bud farther in the canal until you can't hear it anymore, but moving my head around in the helmet a little usually clears that up.

I've struggled with this dilemma for a while myslf. I just couldnt bring my self to spending $70-$10 on noise-cancelling earbuds.

I've always used foam type ear plugs to block out the noise and wanted that same comfort and effectiveness.

I tried a pair os skullcandy's and even one's with volume control. But I ended up getting a ringing in my ear from cranking up the volume on the highway.

Personally, I use the following:

http://www.meijer.com/s/koss-the-plug-earbuds/_/R-136801

Koss The Plug Earbuds

The Koss Plug earbud headphones are the first of their kind. Get accurate acoustical reproduction and unbelievable isolation typically found in more expensive, closed-style stereophones. The Plug features a dynamic element that is positioned just outside the ear and connected to a tubular port structure that is inserted on a soft expandable cushion into the ear canal.

The soft foam cushion expands for a custom fit to improve isolation and enhance deep bass and treble clarity. The Plug features special ear cushions made of hydrophilic, formed urethane, for a custom fit each and every time it is inserted into the listener's ear. The custom fit enhances isolation when you want to plug out ambient sounds that interfere with the listening experience.

It's less than $12. Yes, that's right. I know most people say you get what youpay for, but sometimes simplier is better.

This one came with two different bud sizes. Also, the buds are foam, just like my normal earplugs. So the fit in and then seal up when they expand. Never have to change the volume on my iPod regardless of if I am at a stop or 80 on the highway.

In between songs, the blocking of the ambient sounds is almost as good as just plain old ear plugs. They are comfortable. And they are cheap.

They stay in my ears pretty well unless I accidentally tug on the cord. But now I just throw the plug behind my neck rather than in front and then bring them back over my shoulder into my chest pocket. If wearing my Ogio backpack, I slip it into my shoulder strap pocket. Of course, when pulling off the helmet it does tend to pop out, but then again, I don't care since I'd be pulling them out then anyways.

For sound quality, I think they are just find. I've had worse and better. But I am not an audiophile so I don't take my word for that part.

For $12, it's really worth a try IMO.

Just an FYI

4511.84 Earphones or earplugs on operator prohibited.

(A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones over, or earplugs in, both ears. As used in this section, “earphones” means any headset, radio, tape player, or other similar device that provides the listener with radio programs, music, or other recorded information through a device attached to the head and that covers all or a portion of both ears. “Earphones” does not include speakers or other listening devices that are built into protective headgear.

(B) This section does not apply to:

(1) Any person wearing a hearing aid;

(2) Law enforcement personnel while on duty;

(3) Fire department personnel and emergency medical service personnel while on duty;

(4) Any person engaged in the operation of equipment for use in the maintenance or repair of any highway;

(5) Any person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment.

© Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Effective Date: 10-30-1989