Storing Bike In Basement

tyler524

I need to move my bike out of the garage for the winter to make room for both of our cars which will be a tight fit this year since I now have a riding lawn mower in there too. Last year I put the bike in one of my spare bedrooms but I would like to do some work on it this winter. I was planning on fitting a new body, hids, integrated taillight, and a few other things. I would rather do this work down in the basement where I don't have to worry about ruining carpet or anything like that. Have any of you put your bike in the basement before? How hard was it to get it down or the harder part up?

haha going up is my concern. Last year I made a ramp and rode it up my back porch steps into my dining room, my neighbors had to be looking out their windows going what the hell is this guy doing

Stairs are a hell of a lot steeper than any ramp. You also gotta think of getting it turned around to go straight into the basement door...manuvering a bike indoors can be a bitch! If I were you I would make sure I have a ratchet strap attached to the front or rear of the bike and some other fixed point at the top of the stairs. It would definitely come in handy for getting the bike back up the steps and not kill anyone on the way down if someone slips up.

Or just get thick tarp to throw down in the guest bedroom...problem solved and you won't need to worry about a potential hospital visit.

Edited by Bkizz

Unless it's an exotic car, my bike gets first dibs on any garage. Cars sit outside because...well they're cars. They have defrost and a cage all around all the important stuff. :)

BIG +1.

A couple of radiant heaters or propane heaters will warm the garage up before you work on it.

Too many (video-worthy) things could go wrong on getting the bike down and up from the basement.

What kind of ventilation system do you have in the basement? Not sure if you are doing work that will require you to fire her up, but the last thing you want to do is pump those fumes throughout the whole house via the ductwork...

My bike will be in the house regardless just depends on if its a spare bedroom or the basement. For one I want to keep it in the heated house plus I don't feel like working in a cold garage. The garage is insulated but not heated. I thought about making a couple pieces square tubing with big rubber coasters on the end and a stud on the other end to thread into the swing arm. That would stabilize it in the stairwell and then ratchet it up

I don't feel like working in a cold garage. The garage is insulated but not heated.

dude, you got the hard part done if it is already insulated. A fairly inexpensive stand alone heater would work. You'd be surprised how warm it will get.

Just can't picture what you are trying to do would be in any way easier than buying a heater and plugging it in. :nono: I'd be more worried about any collateral damage from tipping it over.

But sounds like you are committed. If so, make sure you take off your plastics so WHEN you do tip it over, you have minimal damage. Also make sure you have at least 4 buddies, thre to help, and one to video tape.

If you take it to the spare bedroom, you could always get several of those garage mats. It has a rubber bottom and fabric on top. That way any oil or fluid spill would be contained.

GL, man.

getting a bike up and down stairs is going to be really tricky.

things to watch out for:

- bottoming out.

even if you make your stairs into a nice ramp (do this right, or you'll be in a world of shit...), getting over the top without catching the belly pan or oil pan is going to be the suck. MEASURE THE ANGLE OF YOUR STAIRS FIRST TO SEE IF THIS IS EVEN POSSIBLE W/O LIFTING THE REAR WHEEL.

otherwise down is easy. man the front brake, and have a buddy with a strap through the sub-frame in case your front wheel skids on the ramp.

Up is a different story. I think the best thing to do is have 1 person on the bars pushing and manning the brake, and another person actually rotating the rear wheel with their hands. Then you aren't pushing on bodywork, exhaust, etc. - the force is going into making the bike roll, rather than pushing it forward into the stairs (rather than up them).

Again, bottoming out will be a concern.

You might consider a hand winch to help you pull.

you could build a pallet for it that fits down the stairs and strap it in then put carpet down so it can slid easily enough and use a rope set up to guide the speed.. no tip over no bottom out easy up easy down..

I was thinking a used ski and building a makeshift chock for it. Then just pull it like a sled with a buddy holding it up so it doesnt tip over.