Another noob question lol

JStump

Please cite.

Really? A friend was riding his younger brother's bike with no helmet and his girlfriend on the back. Allegedly the reason for the stop was because the registered owner did not have a full "M" endorsement. Once the situation was explained, it was "OK, have a nice day."

Regardless of opinions on whether it was probable cause, it could have been a made up reason, but it makes more sense that it went down just how he said. Doesn't seem like a stretch to me to get from license plate to registered owner to license status.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey jstump, just a little advice...

Wait until after your MSF to commute on the highways. Commuting is the most dangerous aspect of motorcycling because you're out on the roads when everyone else is just droning along trying to get to work or home- they are NOT paying attention.

You need some experience on two wheels before you'll be really equipped to deal with these people. You need to be on top of your game on the highway- watching your mirrors, watching ahead of you, watching for people coming from all sides- It's a LOT to deal with and is a challenge for even experienced riders.

+1 on this.

Not that the MSF is necessary to learn how to ride safely, though it does help, but because you need some more practice and experience before running that type of commute. You really want to be comfortable with the handling of your bike at speed before mixing it up with high speed traffic, that way you can concentrate on the traffic and not on your bike.

April is not that far away so use that time to practice.

I had a Ninja 250 for a year. Would probably still have it except for a great deal on a Vstrom which fits a 6'2" guy a little better :D

Its a great little bike. Fun to ride and easy to learn on.

Craig

So I decided to try to get my license today cuz it was nice and I wanted to ride to work, but when I get out it will be dark, so I ride to the BMV and it turns out they do not test for motorcycles till like April, I figured you could do it anytime you wanted but I guess there is a different person who does motorcycles and they don't work till riding season which blows cuz I just wanna ride at night but at least I had a nice ride today even if I didnt get my endorsement.

Edited by JStump

I got popped by Worthington Police for riding at night on my temps, and I got further clarification from the cops there as to what the other boundaries of my temps were.

i think they have the ability to call it a "no op" (no operators license) if you are caught violating the temps rules which you can loose your drivers license for 6 months and the ability to get a motorcycle license for a year so i think ill take my chances at the BMV on the next warm day so i dont have to worry about it any more.

By all means get your license, but this is inaccurate. Yes, getting cited for riding outside the bounds of your temps is tantamount to riding without a license, but that has fuck-all to do with your ability to gain said license through the normal channels. All you do is pay a bunch of money and get another ticket on your record, but you do usually have to go to court for that one.

I know the N. Olmsted/NR area, and I would avoid Ridgeville like it was the fucking plague, or anywhere else with a mayor's court, but especially Ridgeville. Chances are you will get popped.

does this include 4 lane divided high ways? cuz i take route 20, 10 and I480 from lagrange to north olmsted, well 20 and 10 are never congested unless its rush hour. i know i cant ride on I480 but thats not a big deal, i can just get off 1 exit earlier than i usually do before 10 turns into 480 but can i ride on 20 and 10 as long as its not congested? im just itching to get out riding if you cant tell lol :D

Yes, it does. If there's a median of any type (concrete, grass, whatever), that's a divided highway. As I recall 10 on approach to 480 falls in that category, as does 480 (duh) You don't need me to tell you the amount of pork that sits on 480 to N. Olmsted. Taking Lorain Rd. is a good alternative. Next time you go to work, pick me up some goddamn cannolis at Fragapane's.

Yeah, ridgeville is the worst and there is typically a cop chilling somewhere between ridgeville and NO so I definitely won't be going down that way, I wanted to get off at the ridgeville exit and take Lorain the rest of the way but I still have the night thing to worry about :/ looks like I'm not riding to work anytime soon cuz it gets dark too freaking early

Oh and I have no idea what/where fragapanes is lol

some tips:

when you take your class, they'll probably have a dual sport... use it. it is so awesome (well, compared to the other bikes)

when you do the quick stop, make sure you have maintenance throttle til you cross the line... then use both front and rear brakes. they like to see the rear lock up a little... at least that's what I was told. again, fun on the dual sport lol

make sure you show up early.

good luck!

This! I rode their little DR200, it was a blast! When jporter and I took it, we had already been riding for a while and I already had my endorsement, so we got a little bit of leeway. It was a lot of fun on that bike. I was doing stoppies and the instructor was just laughing at me. Even dragged the pegs a couple of times.

You work at Best Buy? Can you get me a special deal on a PS3? :D

hahaha almost every one of my friends has asked me about a PS3 or 360 since i started there and i actually dont get a penny off of game systems cuz sony and microsoft actually lose money for every system it sells cuz they make all their money on the games and accessories which means they are at cost and i dont get anything off. its the same way with computers and TVs for the most part, accessories is where the huge deals are :D

Edited by JStump

I was talking to a buddy about how people are upset with how much systems cost these days, but he then told me that they are cheap compared to how much shit it took for them to create them and how much technology is involved in them. That Sony and shit hasn't made money off of them for the past few years they came out. I was floored in shock. I had no idea.

Disclaimer: If anything I say on this forum tonight seems weird or odd, it's because I've been drinking while waiting for my wife to get home from work; she works 2nd shift.

Edited by NinjaNick

yeah, have you ever seen the article on how the military rigged like 2000 PS3s together and created the worlds fastest super computer, its crazy. they should probably cost like $1500 a piece, from how much technology is in them, not because of how much the parts are cuz i know thats not $1500 worth in parts lol

Edited by JStump

Well, with the advent of my recent scooter purchase, it looks like my gf finally has a reason to get her m endorsement. I may be taking the msf with her for moral support sometime this year. Gonna hop on that dual sport again and see what they let me get away with.

Should be fun.

Really? A friend was riding his younger brother's bike with no helmet and his girlfriend on the back. Allegedly the reason for the stop was because the registered owner did not have a full "M" endorsement. Once the situation was explained, it was "OK, have a nice day."

Regardless of opinions on whether it was probable cause, it could have been a made up reason, but it makes more sense that it went down just how he said. Doesn't seem like a stretch to me to get from license plate to registered owner to license status.

Regardless of whether it happened to your friend, I just don't believe a statute exists that authorizes such an act by a police officer. That's why I asked you to cite it.

Having a motorcycle license (full, or novice) is not a requirement to own and/or register a motorcycle, so how would they keep track?

even IF they can check your license information based on running your plate (and I don't think they can), it would be utterly useless. Say some 16 yr old gets his full M endorsement, but his parents own and register the bike. You're telling me he can be pulled over and harassed on a whim by any LEO because his plates will come back to his mom or dad, who don't have M endorsements? That could happen in perpetuity if he never transferred the bike into his own name.

I am literally on Oplates.com right now renewing both my cars, and my bike plate, and nowhere is it asking me if I even have a drivers license, let alone an M endorsement. The only thing I have to "certify" is that the vehicle I am renewing is insured.

And like I said in my earlier post, if the police did intend to monitor "novice" riders this way, it would fail miserably when the opposite scenario your friend describes occurs. My bike is registered to me. I've had my M endorsement for 6 years or so. My wife just got hers about a year ago - so she was safe to ride around violating the temps rules because the bike would have come back registered to me?

I was talking to a buddy about how people are upset with how much systems cost these days, but he then told me that they are cheap compared to how much shit it took for them to create them and how much technology is involved in them. That Sony and shit hasn't made money off of them for the past few years they came out. I was floored in shock. I had no idea.

sounds right to me. Sega got out of the hardware industry for this very reason. Making the games is way more profitable.

When the police run a plate by radio they get year/make/color/theft status of the car. They also get the license status and warrant status of the registered owner.

When run by the laptop in the cruiser, they also get extra details like CCW status of the registered owner. (Shows up as a red "alert" icon like a warrant on some systems!)

So if you don't have the bike endorsement and you let your buddy ride the bike then an officer who runs the tags will have access to the information that the registered owner does not have the endorsement. This may or may not lead to a traffic stop depending on more factors than I care to list.

I got my permit packet about a week before I got my bike. I stuck to my permit limits (no riding at night, no 2-up etc) and did the MSF course as a walk-in a couple weeks later. Got my endorsement from the MSF pass certificate the next day and the rest is history. That was in 2003.

I did the MSF course on a tiny dirt bike, like a 125. It was so easy to counterbalance with my own weight that the maneuverability tests were a breeeze. I know I couldn't have passed the figure-8 on my own bike.