Do you agree with motorcycle only checkpoints in Georgia?

Casper

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with motorcycle only checkpoints in Georgia?

• Yes
    • No

I personally think anyone going to Bike Week should avoid stopping for food, gas, lodging, etc in the state of Georgia. Fill up, eat, etc before you cross the border. The only thing you should do in Georgia is take a shit.

What do you all think?

Incase you've been living under a rock and haven't heard:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Georgia+motorcycle-only+checkpoints

Related links on here:

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=72493

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=72897

It's harassment, plain and simple. They're singling out a group of people and deciding to hassle them on the assumption that it will generate funds.

Frankly, those who get caught are S.O.L. in my opinion, but if they stop you and find absolutely nothing wrong with you or your vehicle, I think the state should have to compensate you for your time and inconvenience. Fair is fair.

Constitutionally, I don't think there will be an issue though... Riding a motorcycle isn't an "immutable characteristic," it's a choice; therefore NOT discrimination. I suppose you could argue that it MIGHT be an invasion of privacy, but when the solution is as simple as "don't ride a motorcycle in GA," it's a bit of a stretch...

I think boycotting fuel and food stops in GA is a fantastic way to turn the local business owners against the checkpoints, but I won't believe bikers are that into solidarity until I see it.

That first gas station and/or food joint in FL is going to become a cluster-fuck, and lots of people will know to expect it. Someone's going to break the boycott to avoid waiting in line for 30 minutes for gas, or 45 for a hamburger...

I disagree with motorcycle only check points almost as much as random drug tests by employers.They are both unconstitutional...there's no probable cause.

your employer isn't a police officer, they don't need probable cause. If you don't like their random drug tests, you're free to find another job. That's a totally separate debate.

This is the police stopping people because they "might" be breaking the law. So yes, in that case, there is no probable cause; although I'm betting statistically they can make a strong case for it...

it wouldn't be hard to find something wrong with the majority of motorcycles.

my turn signals aren't DOT certified, and the back-lighting for my gauges is half gone. I know the former is illegal, and wouldn't be surprised to learn that the latter is as well.

I disagree with motorcycle only check points almost as much as random drug tests by employers.They are both unconstitutional...there's no probable cause.

in most cases that I know, its not really the employers choice. Our random's are mandated by the BWC and other government agencies

Random is way different than profiling someone. You have long hair and they test you - that's an issue. That type of thing. As mentioned, you can easily quit your job and go somewhere that doesn't.

Also, on a random deal, at some point, everyone probably gets tested. If you are clean, nothing to worry about. The ones that bitch in those cases are usually offenders worried about getting caught.

I like the idea of testing and having stops. i really do. But, I think it should include cars and trucks, etc. I like the idea of being stopped only because I am on a motorcycle and if found clean, getting compensated.

It's profiling plain and simple. One court case is all it will take. All the state needs to do is check a few cars and trucks and they can still focus on every bike going through. But, instead they act stupid and point out bikes only. Not smart.

Like the press release states, "contact Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal to urge him to stop the Georgia State Patrol from conducting any motorcycle-only traffic checkpoints."

Let him know that you won't travel into Georgia. Remind him you can travel around the State of Georgia and spend your dollars in Alabama and most of South Carolina. When the business' start seeing their summer revenue take a dive, they'll let the GA governor know too.

Why not have a black only checkpoint? Do they see how stupid this is gonna make they look. But it would bring in a bunch of money from all the dui stops they would get.

Not a totally fair comparison. Race is a constitutionally recognized "suspect classification." It's an immutable physical characteristic. Riding a motorcycle isn't.

From where I'm standing, this is more of a privacy issue. Yes, they're profiling a group of people, but doing so based on an interest isn't discriminating against the person; it's discriminating against the interest.

I am curious about how they get around probable cause though.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah!

Motorcycle only checkpoints outrages national lawmakers

...Even as Georgia law enforcement finalizes their plans for motorcycle only checkpoints over the next few weeks, lawmakers in Washington are taking steps to cut the federal funding feeding the controversial practice...

...Upset riders and motorcycle advocacy groups have been joined by federal lawmakers who have introduced legislation to prevent the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) from giving money to states and local jurisdictions for motorcycle-only checkpoints...

...The lawsuit notes the Supreme Court of the United States has repeatedly made it clear that any roadway checkpoint whose primary purpose is general crime control constitutes an unreasonable search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment and is presumptively unconstitutional...

http://www.clutchandchrome.com/news/news/checkpoints-outrages-national-lawmakers