Discount day at Nelson for Ohio Riders - May 14 2011

jbot

Maybe but I'm not sure what my bike is legal for...

If it is stock excluding exhaust, filter and stuff like that you can do 600 Superbike, 750GT, 1000 Superbike sprints, mini 20 heavy, mini 40. Just make sure it is wired for racing if you plan on doing them. I know they changed the wiring rules for the race school since it is ran in the Open group.

If it is stock excluding exhaust, filter and stuff like that you can do 600 Superbike, 750GT, 1000 Superbike sprints, mini 20 heavy, mini 40. Just make sure it is wired for racing if you plan on doing them. I know they changed the wiring rules for the race school since it is ran in the Open group.

Suspension? And yes I'm fully wired. And battery is charged lol

are they really going to protest the new guy on his first weekend? no offense Grape, but I don't foresee you grabbing any podiums.

your bike is too nicely set up to put it back to stock just to fit a race class! I put a stock triple clamp on my bike, but that took all of 10 minutes.

just race up a class; and like i said, anyone who protests your bike on your first weekend is a huge dick-4.

are they really going to protest the new guy on his first weekend? no offense Grape, but I don't foresee you grabbing any podiums.

your bike is too nicely set up to put it back to stock just to fit a race class! I put a stock triple clamp on my bike, but that took all of 10 minutes.

just race up a class; and like i said, anyone who protests your bike on your first weekend is a huge dick-4.

I will :D

I saw his bike, I didn't see anything that didn't fit the rules as they are not as strict as WERA.

Lmao none taken at all, I would be happy not getting lapped twice!

I will :D

I saw his bike, I didn't see anything that didn't fit the rules as they are not as strict as WERA.

like i said, anyone who protests would be a huge dick-4 :D

Looking at MyLaps.com, it's clear that MotoSeries runs 600's and 1000's at the same time.

Are those liter twins, or is it a 2-wave start and they do liter inline 4's ahead of the 600s?

or is it just a mad dash to turn 1 with that many bikes?

Moto Series is by far the best value I've ever encountered for "regular price" Trackdays... Mid-Ohio is a great track, but I can't eat $400 a weekend more than a couple of times a summer.

If we work out some more $100 days with STT, that is a killer deal too for Gingerman or Grattan. My wallet is deciding where I ride this summer.

I might be a little out or just confused but race school on your second/first full track day/weekend? Isn't that putting the carriage in front of the horse? I know a few people have been tracking for 2-3 yrs and still haven't signed up/done one.

Just making sure that is the best route to go for ya man.

• Upvote 1

Oh i totally agree bro about racing, that is what all of us want/plan. But for instance Dubguy has done, I would bet atleast 20 track days and is just now taking a race school(same weekend) same with Ducati(josh). Twisted has done I believe 12+ track days, 2 this season already, along with his wife, and they are still not totally wanting to do a race school quite yet. I may be incorrect on them for the record, as they are very solid out there, not insulting anyone here.

Personally I have 3 on my list and won't be doing a race school until at least June, if not later.

Again, Im not being trying to talk you out of it, BUT I want to make sure you have truly experienced what you get from a track day before getting into a class setting along with a "mock race" which I hear can at times be a dick measuring contest, well everything is on 2 wheels lol.

Like I said I usually talk to people who have been at it for awhile, Apch8r, Dub, Twisted, etc. I did my track days before some of them had actually hit a track, took a year off, and now they are about 100 times better than I am, and I trust all of them with everything I do. I listen to them and ask them questions, I take their advice etc.

Not to mention I just picked up my new track bike so I figure I need a few track days to truly feel it out and see what it can do. Probably going to just gauge this season as I go. When I quit for a year, I was on the verge of getting bumped to Int. my 2nd track day at Mid O with STT, and then hit Putnam 1 more time. Got a DUI and took 12 mos off to dump my RC51 and get a track only bike. Now I feel I will run Novice, mid pack first day, then move to Int. then take a race school. I could be wrong, but until atleast hitting Int. if not Adv. a race school isn't something that will be a huge benefit like just getting on the track.

My opinion is definitely not something like KTM Brians, or Dub, or Red, etc. so they can definitely clarify on top of what I am saying, I just want you to really get your $$ worth. I learned more with STT in 2 days than I did in 2 years of riding before.

Edited by madcat6183
Edited to change verbiage as not to offend anyone

Sometimes getting out there and doing it is the best way, but this is not one of those times. I don't personally know your pace, but at nelson the min for "passing" race school is 1:30. I just did race school at the last track day and my best times there are in the 1:19's. That is at the very slow end of an advanced pace. Any slower than that and you will wind up being in the way of the faster riders, which can be unsafe. Hence the reason they separate us at track days. learn what you can in novice and bump up to intermediate when you're ready. Besides, they tell you in race school that its not about teaching you to go any faster but just to race safely. And if you do pass that is just a provisional license, you don't get the real one until you race your first race and do it safely. So I would just wait until you are actually ready to do a race.

Just my long winded 2 cents.

Edited by TRMN8TR

Yeah like I said, I know a lot of people that are talking about doing it this season etc, but I want to make sure the $$ and credits are spent well and a lot of knowledge is gained. Hell, if I dont feel ready running solid in Int I still wouldn't even think about it. Maybe late season, maybe not. I don't feel like dropping a ton of coin to learn to race safe if I can't run top Int. mid-top Adv.

I guess I did talk to my friend back home 2 years ago in depth about all of this too, so he prepped me for everything and time frame. He won 2 classes last year at Mid O the weekend of the AMA races and placed 3rd or 4th in the open, so I really value his opinion. Actually time to facebook message him for some more pointers on some of the tracks I signed up for.

Taking the race school doesn't mean you have to go racing. I did one at the end of '09 and never actually raced last year - that's why I have to take the race school again. Waited too long to actually buy a license.

Race schools vary, but mine taught me very little about riding (I was about 20 trackdays deep when I did mine), and spent 90% of the time talking about basic race procedure, and various flags. Some race schools spend a full day on bike prep, a full day on classroom stuff, and a full day riding. Obviously the MotoSeries school is probably somewhere in between.

The only riding instruction I got at my school was how to block-pass someone and ride a defensive line instead of a "qualifying" line.

The notion that you have to be super fast to race is kind of a myth. You have to be fast to WIN a race, but as Grape noted, before trackdays, people would routinely turn their first wheel on track during the race school, and then go out and learn how slow they really were the next day with the novices.

The "novice" class was really novices back then. Nowadays, "novice" just means you've never actually raced before. There are "novices" who would place in the top 5 on expert grids, but because it's their first year, they can beat up on the little guys and collect all the contingency winnings. I'm not sure how to remedy that, but it's kind of a "don't hate the player, hate the game" situation.

is it "fair" for me (~30+ trackdays of experience) to race against Grape (1 TD thus far)? No, but it wouldn't be "fair" for me to race against experts my first time out either.

I think the big thing about racing is competing against SOMEONE. Whether you're fighting for 1st or fighting with someone to not be last, the competition is what makes it different (not necessarily better) from a trackday.