Typical new rider Qs

Jamez

First let me say hello!

(1) I am a new rider with no prior experience. I feel I'm doing well but I seem to be stuck.

I have done my parking lot practice and have graduated to country roads and very low traffic roads. I don't really know what to do now. I don't feel I'm ready to ride everywhere yet but I need more experiences around traffic. But I'm too nervous to go. Any road near me is either country roads or very busy streets. Any tips? Or should I just put some big boy pants on and do it?

I obviously feel safety is most important and I don't want to jump into traffic thinking I'm a badass because I'm not. I know I'm a newby tard but we all have to start somewhere.

Sooo, if I feel I'm past country roads but not ready for busy traffic situations, is there anything advise?

(2) Also I know everyone is different and picks things up differently but I'm wondering how long the average person takes to get decently comfortable to ride wherever they want? I'm in no rush and don't mind "paying my dues", just curious.

Thanks

*I've noticed that I see everyone riding but I never ever see anyone learning to ride. What gives

Edited by Jamez

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First let me say hello!

(1) I am a new rider with no prior experience. I feel I'm doing well but I seem to be stuck.

I have done my parking lot practice and have graduated to country roads and very low traffic roads. I don't really know what to do now. I don't feel I'm ready to ride everywhere yet but I need more experiences around traffic. But I'm too nervous to go. Any road near me is either country roads or very busy streets. Any tips? Or should I just put some big boy pants on and do it?

I obviously feel safety is most important and I don't want to jump into traffic thinking I'm a badass because I'm not. I know I'm a newby tard but we all have to start somewhere.

Sooo, if I feel I'm past country roads but not ready for busy traffic situations, is there anything advise?

(2) Also I know everyone is different and picks things up differently but I'm wondering how long the average person takes to get decently comfortable to ride wherever they want? I'm in no rush and don't mind "paying my dues", just curious.

Thanks

Here's my thoughts:

The best way to improve your riding is to just ride everywhere and rack up the miles. Expose yourself to all sorts of situations (busy streets, high traffic, etc.). If areas that you frequent are known to busy try riding during non-rush hour time or even with a friend with a bike or shadowing you with his/her car. You'll find that those situations will require you to brake, upshift/downshift, and sometimes swerve at non-predictable times. So pretty much you're putting the skills you've learned in the parking lot all together. The big thing is not to panic and rely on the skills that you've put in muscle memory.

There's no real timeframe to when you'll be decently comfortable to ride anything. It really depends on miles, exposure to road conditions, and your confidence in riding different types of bikes. Here's something I wrote on that subject.

PM me if you have any other questions! :)

check shops too, You may have to pay a little more but it is well worth it. Honda offers the MSF and provide the bikes, and if you currently do not have your actual license they do the driving test. I think my course cost $200 but like I said it was well worth it.

Its rediculous. Most of my friends that ride have ridden for years and just expect me to just ride. Like somehow I'm supposed to pull riding knowledge out of thin air. I don't feel pressured to go out with them because I actually want to stay alive.

Just because I ride a sport bike doesn't mean that I'm a racer or I automatically have sweet skills.

Also I've noticed since I've started riding that in general, people in cars are A*&%#$S!

And that noone I talk to has anything positive to say about riding. Everyone says the same things. " be careful" or " my friend had one and wrecked..."

Edited by Jamez

The best way to improve your riding is to just ride everywhere and rack up the miles. Expose yourself to all sorts of situations (busy streets, high traffic, etc.).

I agree, just ride as often as possible, slowly spend some time in light traffic,

when you get used to the light traffic, step up to a busier road or the same

road at a busier time.

I remember when I started out being in traffic freaked me out abit too, it just

starts to get easier the more you do it.

And don't ever think you're above doing some parking lot riding, I still ride empty lots

on occassion just to screw around and play abit and I'm heading into my 5th riding season.

Good luck, and welcome.

I really liked silverfox's idea of having someone shadow you.If possible,I would take it one step farther and ride with a more experienced SAFE rider with bike to bike communications.Maybe that way the other rider can let you in on what they're thinking in different situations.I highlighted safe rider in the previous sentence because you sure don't want to learn other people's bad habits,so choose the other rider carefully.

I highly recommend David Hough's book Proficient Motorcycling.

I agree with the others...keep practicing in low traffic areas until you feel more comfortable with the bike and traffic situations.

It'll come,and hopefully in a little while you'll be posting about how much fun you're having.

Edited by drc32-0

I just read you're other post about your friends thinking that you should just be able to ride.

Never under any circumstances try to ride to someone else's skill level or expectations!Not now,not fifty years from now.It'll get you killed.That's the major problem with some group rides.Whatever you do,stay within your own skill level and comfort zone.If people give you shit about your pace or push you to go faster,look for other people to ride with or ride alone.

I'm trying to ride with others as much as possible but I don't know too many people that ride and live close.

I do plan to try walking in on the MSF course even though they say "full" until august. Next class is April17th but i will be out of town that week. Mabe the next one after that ill try my luck at sliding into the class.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

+1 to what others said.

You can go do a walk-in at the MSF, for 15$ or whatever it is people no-show all the time.

Never ride to someone else's expectations

lastly, and it sounds a little opposite of the last piece of advice, sometimes you have to realize the bike WANTS to be upright. Until someone explained lean angle and grip dynamics to me I was afraid of turning ... odds are, you're over thinking it!

lastly, and it sounds a little opposite of the last piece of advice, sometimes you have to realize the bike WANTS to be upright. Until someone explained lean angle and grip dynamics to me I was afraid of turning ... odds are, you're over thinking it!

This..... My first year of riding I would over think simple turns at like an intersection. I would worry about making sure I would be in my lane, would I lean over too much, would I not have enough speed, and etc. That doesn't really go away until you have some experience and gain confidence in your riding ability. I have and I am sure you will learn that the bike will lean over much further than you will probably ever need it to. One of the biggest things with busier roads is all the asshats that don't pay attention and watching out for them.

Seat time is your best friend. Rack up as much as you can. Few tips to help out...look to where you want to be, your front brake is 80% of your stopping power. Like everyone else has said NEVER ride above YOUR ability, if riding with a group stay at your pace if they are your friends the will stop and wait for you. Oh and remember the shiny side stays up! Have fun and welcome

When I first started riding I had the same apprehensions as I am sure most of us have had. I would suggest as others have trying to do a walk in on a MSF class. In my class there were 3 no shows. Learn the techniques there then practice them until you are comfortable. The main difference I have found with riding with traffic vs. riding alone on a country road is that in city traffic you need to watch what everyone else is doing very closely and always look for possible accident scenarios. It may sound difficult to do at first but you get used to it and it ends up being something you subconsiously do after awhile. You will know when you are ready to venture out onto the city roads and highways...don't push yourself until you feel more comfortable.

I think you have a consistent theme going. Seat time. I assume that you are an experienced driver and traffic does not bother you in a car. Correct! What you need is to keep riding the parking lot and back roads until you have real confidence in your ability to ride. When you do not have to think about riding, you are ready for the traffic.:eek:

Ill definately get as much seat time as possible. I know I didn't come out of my momma knowing how to ride I have to learn it and with any skill its all about experience.

If it makes sense, I'm not worried about other drivers doing stupid things as I fully expect them to. I'm more worried about doing something stupid and losing control.

I feel rushed in traffic where as if I'm on a country road I'm free to start/stop/ride at my own pace. I don't know if that makes sense or not.

I think the scarriest thing I hear is that you never stop learning. I know a amazing old guy that rides a norton and a ducatti and he's been riding for like 1000 years. He's got some scaarryy stories and some really funny ones but even he says that he still learns stuff everyday. How can anyone ever feel proficient?

I guess in short I'm just not confident enough yet. I guess I'm just looking for people to tell me that I'm doing good and this is totally normal and to be expected and mabe share some learning experiences.

HERE'S ONE FOR YOU GUYS TO LAUGH AT ME.

I went riding with my friend that lives in a gated community. He wanted to stop at his house to grab something so I followed him. We got to his community andThe gates are automatic and the entrance is an incline. We stopped and he punched in the code to open the gate and went on through and I stalled. I restarted and made sure I was in first gear and the gate started to beep and close. I panic and stalled in again and the gate starts smashing me and the bike and I'm swearing and trying to push off of it and he's laughing histerically about 1/4 mile inside the community. That was a bad day but helped me realize I need to work on my starts

Here's a little bit of a game I play with my starts/clutch control.

Learn the exact amount of play you can give the clutch where the bike lurches and you can start giving it gas.

In a parking lot, or whatever, practice dropping the clutch to that exact spot and pull it back in, you get REALLY used to the bike jumping... and it builds muscle memory to how much clutch you need to let go to get started.... now I just do it to mess with my wife on the back of the bike :)

one you are reasonably comfortable on your bikes controls, get to a track day asap so you don't learn any bad habits. I wish I did... I spent the first entire year on track unlearning bad habits.